Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are movies more accepted than video games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are movies more accepted than video games?

*Remove post*
    Last edited by Earth001; 27 July 2014, 06:06 PM.
    http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...m/Earth001.jpg

Well, I think the 'problem' (if you want to call it such) is that video games are a relatively new medium. Back when the television was invented, there was a large stigma to it as well, and almost the exact same discourse about violence and influence going on. Most of these initial 'scares' were discredited by scientists later on. So give it another 20 years, and video games will be as much an accepted part of popculture as movies and television are today.

There will however always be people who say it's a waste of time. I've had people tell me that my obsession with tv-shows is a waste of time, or that they don't understand people who watch movies, because sitting through 100 minutes of just watching something happen on screen is something they don't understand at all.
    Usually those are also the people defending their own hobbies with a passion - which to me seem like a complete waste of time. That's the thing about hobbies though: they are solely meant for entertainment, not necessarily practical purpose - although a lot of people end up turned even tv or movie hobbies into practical purposes.

What I am saing is - there will always be a***oles out there, who think that their own hobbies are somehow more worthy and deserve more respect than yours. That's not even your problem. For some reason those persons feel the (subconscious) need to put other persons down by passing judgment or criticizing what they do, because it validates them in who they are. You can't change them. But you can change yourself and learn to just shrug and ignore them.
    Or pick up O'Neillish sarcasm until people get tired of your comments and leave you alone.

And, sometimes just sticking your fingers into your ears and humming loudly solves a whole slew of problems as well!

BTW, I am 32, and I also enjoy video games. I was more into them when I was in my teens and early 20s (I grew up with the entire Tomb Raider series), and back then there was the additional stigma of being a girl and liking anything related to computer and video games. It was considered a boy's hobby in the 90s - at least over here in Germany. But that changed too, and nowadays a lot of girls play videogames. So I think it is all just a matter of social convention. As trends and social behavior change, so does the acceptance of certain things.

And I for one do believe that video games are the entertainment of the future, because they are a lot more active and require viewer participation. There are a lot of games actually built like movies already where the 'viewer' gets to take part in the action (sometimes even determine the outcome), which makes watching a lot more fun.
    sigpic

Comment

Couple of reasons...

1) Video games are typically viewed as a "kid" or "young person" activity as many people 40+ didn't grow up playing them, but they did grow up watching tv and movies

2) Movies can be watched very sporadically, but many, not all, gamers can play for crazy amounts of time on a daily basis.

I think the culture is changing somewhat, but as an early 30 year old I still don't talk with too many people about video games as most of my friends don't play.
      sigpic

Comment

If I may...

It depends on the video game.

Movies can be very stylistic and artistic. There is a whole sphere of academic study of film making, it really is a craft, just as much as theatre or literature is. The right sounds, the right lighting, the right dialogue to create the perfect cinematic experience. Some films deal with some very complex political or social issues. Some films are a master piece in their own right.

Video games, however, are (mostly) just games. I'm not an 'avid gamer' but I do enjoy a handful of games. But there IS a marked difference. Only a few games could ever actually be said to engage with the player in a manner that is a work of art. Sure a game may be visually stunning, and certainly video game design is a respectable field of study, but it's simply not the same. There is no comparison between Zombie Nazis in COD/Medal of Honour (whichever it is) to The Shawshank Redemption or Schindler's List...

You're certainly not a loser. Gaming, or, more simply - having fun - is essential, regardless of your age. Heck, I'm 26 and in a pretty responsible career - I love Sonic the Hedgehog games and Resident Evil. But games are still a far cry from fine movies....

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

it still has the "kids do it " vibe despite my parents regularly playing mahjong on an internet game site.

so yea.

Comment

The problem is down to the age of the medium, computer games only been around for 40 years, and only hit the mainstream for the past ten years. Unlike movies that been around for 150 years (give or take) mainstream for a good 70 years, old people, middle age, young people, they have all watch films and understand why people watch films.

Why people over the age of 40 have generally never play a computer game in their lives. An it these people that can control the conversation and influence government policy. As more gamers take charge of media companies, government and this view will change like it change for film or tv.

As to it being a waste of time, there growing amount of evidence that video games can enhance motor control, help kids to read think games with text instead of speech Pokpark and Club Penguin, it much easier getting a 6 year to read whilst they play a computer game than read a book, there have been some studies showing that computer games can enhance memory in old age. So it far from wasting time.
            Last edited by knowles2; 28 May 2014, 12:57 PM.

Comment

It also has a lot to do with the fact that the story and narratives in video games are hardly ground breaking. Likewise it's hard to get the idea of the raw power of an emotion through a game character like an actor in a film can provide or a good, well worded paragraph in a book. If still never come across a game that can make me weep with anguish or feel an immense feeling of fulfillment after playing it.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I don't watch many movies but I do love video games. And I'm 40

Games have changed a lot in the last few years. Some games are almost like a movie these days. I don't think video games have the same stigma attached to it that it used to have. I think it's becoming more accepted, although there is still a bit to go yet.

Some video games are so well done that they are actually better than most movies.

Unfortunately for me, in my circle of friends, I'm the only one that plays video games
                sigpic

Comment

I've played video games since I was a kid (Nintendo!), and probably will until I can no longer hold the controller, or hand-held system.

Movies are a few hours of entertainment for about ten bucks. You go, you see the movie, you go do errands, a meal, or go home afterward. With video games, you need the system, accessories, and a variety of games to make it worth while. They're fun, but more expensive, and more time consuming. Perhaps people aren't interested in the interactive entertainment. I see movies as really being more accessible.
                  sigpic
                  Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Working...
                  X