energy levels of ZPMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

energy levels of ZPMs

does anyone know where, if there is a place, in stargate, that it makes reference to how much power a ZPM produces.......like, how many ZPMs it would take to have enough power for a 9th chevron activation?
    or an episode that says how much power a ZPM produces in comparison to naquadria.....something that could explain how many ZPMs it would take for a 9th chevron activation?

a few calculations on my behalf showed that a Naquahdriah planet like Icarus is no more powerful than a ZPM.

A ZPM has the power to blow apart a planet, suggesting about 10^33 joules of energy. It can be drained in seconds according to "mckay and ms miller".

So really, there is no reason why a ZPM can't dial the 9th chevron.

No practical reason. However, the amount of ZPM's Earth has are limited and all needed. Having gone through so much effort to find some, like changing the timeline, they wouldn't give up one to deplete in no-time dialing some elusive 9th chevron.

A far likelier explanation is that the IOA forbade the use of ZPM's for anything other than Atlantis and Odyssey, and so the 9th chevron project had to search for other means.

not to mention that, although a ZPM may be able to power a 9th chevron dial, it would still have a limited total energy which means that Earth would burn through it's ZPMs in no-time.

Comment

inconsistent. one SG scientists said it has enough total energy to blow up the planet, but Sam then said it could destroy a solar system, but later on we find out that a ZPM can't even power a planetary-wide shield

so...no way to tell

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
        inconsistent. one SG scientists said it has enough total energy to blow up the planet, but Sam then said it could destroy a solar system, but later on we find out that a ZPM can't even power a planetary-wide shield

so...no way to tell
        an uncontrolled blast is a lot easier than trying to pump teratons of energy per second through machinery that has to survive that

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          a few calculations on my behalf showed that a Naquahdriah planet like Icarus is no more powerful than a ZPM.

A ZPM has the power to blow apart a planet, suggesting about 10^33 joules of energy. It can be drained in seconds according to "mckay and ms miller".

So really, there is no reason why a ZPM can't dial the 9th chevron.

No practical reason. However, the amount of ZPM's Earth has are limited and all needed. Having gone through so much effort to find some, like changing the timeline, they wouldn't give up one to deplete in no-time dialing some elusive 9th chevron.

A far likelier explanation is that the IOA forbade the use of ZPM's for anything other than Atlantis and Odyssey, and so the 9th chevron project had to search for other means.

not to mention that, although a ZPM may be able to power a 9th chevron dial, it would still have a limited total energy which means that Earth would burn through it's ZPMs in no-time.
          yes
          the reason i was curious of the comparitive idea was to understand the amount of power that a ZPM had, as, i had been unable to compare it......not that i would think that earth would ever use it for that reason.
          however, i had thought of the idea that maybe Destiny has a stock of ZPMs for when Destiny goes into power saving mode, if the Ancients had ever made it, they would simply pull out a ZPM to compensate until Destiny refueled, and then pull the ZPM, as, you wouldn't want to deplete the ZPM........Joseph Mallozzi made a reference that one of the ideas that were being thrown around for Eli was that he would find an alternate power source.......and i had often wondered why there wasn't a ZPM on board Destiny specifically FOR the power saving modes

Comment

Well ZPM technology would make for an ideal capacitor, yes. Probably rechargeable.

Comment

an uncontrolled blast is a lot easier than trying to pump teratons of energy per second through machinery that has to survive that
              ancient power-source, ancient shield generator - safe to say one was designed to work with the other
              besides it's a matter of capacity iirc they clearly said they didn't have enough juice to shield enough of the planet, not that the shield generator couldn't withstand the output

Comment

Well ZPM technology would make for an ideal capacitor, yes. Probably rechargeable.
                i was thinking they were most likely rechargeable.....but i wasn't figuring for it, i presumed that their life was their life, and once gone, they were gone. But to compensate for the power saving mode that Destiny goes into until it reaches the star, that is very small amounts of power, since it is for such a limitted amount of time, a single ZPM should be able to last years, decades, or maybe even centuries, depending upon the amount of power that a ZPM has

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                  ancient power-source, ancient shield generator - safe to say one was designed to work with the other
                  besides it's a matter of capacity iirc they clearly said they didn't have enough juice to shield enough of the planet, not that the shield generator couldn't withstand the output
                  i see what you mean, but i also considered that to extend the shields beyond the city, that might take power and a half. The shields were designed to go around the city, but the shields were also designed to be able to change size......but to make it larger than the norm, i also assumed that it would take power and a half for the same amount of space

Comment

One thing i never understood.. why dont there make Zpm's?.. There have the blueprints to make Zpm's in the Atlantis database so could make as many of them

Comment

Originally posted by markycleary View Post
                      One thing i never understood.. why dont there make Zpm's?.. There have the blueprints to make Zpm's in the Atlantis database so could make as many of them
                      Conservation of Energy means that there would be no net gain.

They would make one hell of a battery though.

Comment

Originally posted by markycleary View Post
                        'cos if you mess up you will blow up the planet.

Comment

the zpm which could have exploded was tampered with and even small bits of it were explosive suggesting that it was not the energy of the device itself and instead whatever was done to tamper with it. also they could to it on a ship or a planet where there aren't many people.

Comment

Working...
                          X