Point of Origin conflict! Please help to find an explanation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point of Origin conflict! Please help to find an explanation

If each stargate has 38 symbols, with the 39th symbol being the point of origin which is unique to THAT gate alone, SGU brings in a HUGE problem. There is the earth, ignoring which earth gate is the actual earth gate, and taking the idea that the gate with the pyramid with one circle over head, this is the earth gate. And only a gate with THAT point of origin symbol can dial Destiny:
    Icarus base had an earth gate
    The Lucian Alliance base lead by Commander Kiva had an earth gate
    The Langaran had an earth gate
    I can imagine a universe that most stargates have a unique point of origin symbol, but some of them have a generic point of origin. But if i do this, i will end up loosing a reason to reason to say that Ra brought the gate with him.......i could claim that the Goauld learned how to reproduce stargates, and thus, they made the generic gates, and all generics gates have the pyramid with a circle, but then, if the Goauld made these gates, how is this point of origin in the Atlantean data base?
    I am having trouble with this

I might be able to get by, by saying that any world with a generic gate, the generic gates were infact placed there by the Ancients to indicate that it was a planet with a secondary gate...but this generic point of origin verse the actual point of origin idea conflicts with the secondary location....what, a secondary location AND a secondary gate? Besides, i was growing fond of the idea that Ra DID infact bring the gate from another planet. So, now i have to go through all of Stargate to find out how many gates have the point of origin for earth.
    Ok ok ok, i like watching the episodes as much as the next fan-freak, but to try to pick it apart?, i am not liking the idea......i need a solution for this problem

Comment

Hate to break it to you but there isn't a solution. I think you may find that the off world gates on SG-1 MAY almost all have the Abydos point of origin, because the gate model they use for off world is the same as they had through the whole series. However any physical gate you see that can actually spin is the one you see in the SGC. So even though in the SG-1 Season one episode "Solitude" Carter observes that the Antarctic gate has it's own point of origin, however once it was installed in the SGC it had the same point of origin as the Giza gate, and so too does the gate at Icarus....

Basically in full answer of your question, nothing was ever done and the show is full of inconsistencies.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

The symbols represent points in space. It doesn't really matter what they look like on the gate as long as they link to those points. You could mix up all the keys on your keyboard and it would still work just as well.

The Point of Origin on a Stargate is like a "I am here" button.. The six symbols for the destination are "I want to go here" and then the Point of Origin's "I am here" tell the Stargate network where to create a wormhole so you can travel from one to the other. But again the symbol represents a point in space so what it looks like doesn't matter..

For SGU and the ninth symbol they changed the way the Stargate reads the symbols.. It's no longer "I want to go here, from here" instead it's an access code with Earth being one of the Stargates/planets important enough to be part of that code... Or a phrase The stargate symbols have sounds assigned to them so addresses can be spoken aloud. Points of Origin could have a similar meaning.. It wasn't necessary to dial in from Earth using the Earth gate, only that Earth had to be the last planet mentioned in the sequence to access Destiny.

But for multiple Stargates using the Earth symbol.. Stargates are expensive, it would have cost a fortune to build a new Point of Origin symbol for every planet they visit. And they probably didn't think anyone would notice

And the Point of Origin is in the Atlantis database because it just makes it easier for everyone. Making a new symbol for the older database and having an episode about McKay heroically searching the database to identify it would have been a waste of time. And magically knowing it's the right one would just look like lazy writing..

Comment

i know the concept of how stargates work, that is not what i am asking
          i am not asking about set design and prop budgets
          if the earth point of origin was HYPOTHETICALLY suppose to be unique to earth, why then, for instance, in SGU on Icarus, was it not said, "we had to bring the earth gate to Icarus because earth didn't have what we needed"
          i am not dealing with the issue of set designs blah blah blah
          hypothetically, there is only suppose to be one stargate with the earth point of origin, so only one gate can dial.....otherwise you can dial Destiny from ANY GATE if the point of origin button is merely "you are here" and the "here" does mean anything out side of "activate".

Comment

Unfortunately, the problem with the point of origin symbol you noticed is a prop design one.

Theres have been only two stargates on Earth, one was destroyed, only one remains. With Atlantis on Earth and defaulting to the Pegasus gate, they could use their gate on Icarus. That one too is now gone. Now a very proficient scientist could use a random gate and reprogram its point of origin to Earth, Baal or Carter could do it, apparently the Lucian Alliance too.

Your beef is with the actual symbol and thats a prop error for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
              Unfortunately, the problem with the point of origin symbol you noticed is a prop design one.

Theres have been only two stargates on Earth, one was destroyed, only one remains. With Atlantis on Earth and defaulting to the Pegasus gate, they could use their gate on Icarus. That one too is now gone. Now a very proficient scientist could use a random gate and reprogram its point of origin to Earth, Baal or Carter could do it, apparently the Lucian Alliance too.

Your beef is with the actual symbol and thats a prop error for sure.
              Saying that Atlantis is on earth, thus, Icarus was indeed earth's stargate, this is good
              reprogramming a gate?
              there is an interesting concept
              to make the DHD thing that it is infact that At symbol
              heck....since we are talking about reprogramming.....why not reprogram all the DHD's to think it is the At symbol, i wonder if there would be a problem with that

thank you for the idea, i think i can make that work for a few things

Comment

not so much a prop error, as, just not in the budget.......but the mark of a true imagination, is to take what is provided, and to make it work, to FIND an explanation
                and since this isn't real life that we are talking about, we can make up anything we want, but i would like for it to make some since

my beef isn't with the fact that the props all show the same.....this i expect.....it is, for instance, Abydos and Heliopolis both have the EXACT same addresses......it is how it is written in......and i don't "have a problem".....i see the conflict and try to imagine a solution

like the idea of Ra being a Goauld, yet the movie shows his original form
                but since it is fiction, i can claim that it was the form of the first host he took, and i can make the movie and the series compatible

i also say that Ra was ascended

if you are up for some reading:::

http://navadbenyisroel.wordpress.com...te-the-opener/

http://navadbenyisroel.wordpress.com...on-a-stargate/

http://navadbenyisroel.wordpress.com...ividual-gates/

http://navadbenyisroel.wordpress.com...the-gate-back/

http://navadbenyisroel.wordpress.com...ky-way-galaxy/

http://navadbenyisroel.wordpress.com...previous-form/

http://navadbenyisroel.wordpress.com...rom-the-movie/

http://navadbenyisroel.wordpress.com...-was-ras-ship/

http://navadbenyisroel.wordpress.com...he-other-side/

http://navadbenyisroel.wordpress.com...stargate-take/

http://navadbenyisroel.wordpress.com...wormhole-lock/

http://navadbenyisroel.wordpress.com...-already-here/

http://navadbenyisroel.wordpress.com...ent-stargates/

http://navadbenyisroel.wordpress.com...e-9th-chevron/

Comment

the thought occurs to me, since all of these are actually dialing from a computer, one can easily get away with saying that either they reprogrammed.......or, a masking program
                  i am thinking that a masking program might be easier then reprogramming a stargate
                  mask the point of origin causing the stargate network to think that it is the At symbol
                  if not for your idea of reprogramming, i wouldn't have thought of the simple masking concept

Comment

I always thought that the Ancients probably only had a few hundred stargates to start off with and so only a few unique point of origins but when it came down to it, coming up with a unique symbol for a world with nothing but trees on it was just pointless so they assigned one already on the Stargate.

In the Milky Way we've only seen TWO different symbols on any gates, the one on the DHD in Antarctica, which many claim to be the original point of origin for Earth (which is wrong, because if it did then they never would have been able to dial the Stargate anyway) and the one for P7J-989 (the spiral one).

I don't know why they needed a point of origin anyway, shouldn't you have just dialed the address, and pressed the middle button which automatically adds the point of origin and activates the gate?

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                      I always thought that the Ancients probably only had a few hundred stargates to start off with and so only a few unique point of origins but when it came down to it, coming up with a unique symbol for a world with nothing but trees on it was just pointless so they assigned one already on the Stargate.

In the Milky Way we've only seen TWO different symbols on any gates, the one on the DHD in Antarctica, which many claim to be the original point of origin for Earth (which is wrong, because if it did then they never would have been able to dial the Stargate anyway) and the one for P7J-989 (the spiral one).

I don't know why they needed a point of origin anyway, shouldn't you have just dialed the address, and pressed the middle button which automatically adds the point of origin and activates the gate?
                      there actually quite a few point of origin symbols, but by and large, you don't see them because stargate for the most part doesn't show the symbols that the team uses when dialing TO SGC
                      also, it isn't merely the spiral, earth, and earth original, there is also abydos

but, what Stargate Universe brings up is the idea that, for a true stargate address, you really need 12 symbols, not 7.
                      6 symbols to say where you want to go, and 6 symbols saying where you are dialing from.......the 7th point of origin takes the place of the 6 symbols.....it is 6 symbols in one, because, to dial Destiny, you can't use any other point of origin

Comment

Originally posted by Melbol Of Worlds View Post
                        there actually quite a few point of origin symbols, but by and large, you don't see them because stargate for the most part doesn't show the symbols that the team uses when dialing TO SGC
                        also, it isn't merely the spiral, earth, and earth original, there is also abydos

but, what Stargate Universe brings up is the idea that, for a true stargate address, you really need 12 symbols, not 7.
                        6 symbols to say where you want to go, and 6 symbols saying where you are dialing from.......the 7th point of origin takes the place of the 6 symbols.....it is 6 symbols in one, because, to dial Destiny, you can't use any other point of origin
                        Using Earth's point of origin to dial Destiny had nothing to do with location, it was a code. Presumably Destiny's location was updated back through all the galaxies and imbedded in the dialing program used in the Milky Way, or something about Destiny's gate makes it locatible no matter where it is, perhaps a subspace beacon accessed only with the code.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                          Using Earth's point of origin to dial Destiny had nothing to do with location, it was a code. Presumably Destiny's location was updated back through all the galaxies and imbedded in the dialing program used in the Milky Way, or something about Destiny's gate makes it locatible no matter where it is, perhaps a subspace beacon accessed only with the code.
                          to a degree,you are right, it was a code
                          but think about it, use complete logic
                          every gate has 38 symbols, and a 39th that is unique to that gate ALONE, i.e. the point of origin, and thus, ONLY ONE GATE CAN DIAL DESTINY, as, only one gate is suppose to have the "At" point of origin symbol.....sure, fine a code, a code that demands that you are on a specific planet
                          the original "At" location is still out there, and it has the right compisition for power to dial Destiny, and until we find that planet, we are using a masking program to dial

unless someone else comes up with a better explanation.....i like the masking program explanation

Comment

Working...
                          X