After so many years, I'm still going

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After so many years, I'm still going

Ive watched this forum for years and years - and never wrote anything. Not sure why to be honest.

But it got me wondering. I still, to this day, watch Stargate a lot.

I love to flick on an SG-1 whenever there is nothing else on - or if i just feel like a bit of a pick me up.

Several times ive gone through SG-1 and Atlantis from EP1 until the end over a week or so just enjoying it all.

I still find the humour funny and get jokes I didn't quite understand as well 15 years ago.

Its the only show that has ever had this effect on me. I love that you can either watch a single episode with no real arch like the early days, or go later in the seasons to get a real arc.

I'm hoping that one day a show will come that replaces its void, but for the moment it seems Stargate is still the one.

Am i the only freak out there?

hahaha no your def not alone.

I've seen all episodes of sg1 and atlantis 10+ times some 30+ times, and I still do rewatch them, I guess I should do other things with my times but stargate is just so dam good, the only tv series I can do that with, and I'm sure many other members are just like us as well.

Comment

I do the same as well. And you're right in that you can pick up almost any episode from any season as a solid, fun, enjoyable stand-alone episode.
      Most of the new shows these days have these long entangling arcs so you have to watch the whole thing to make any sense of it. They're not as conducive to long term fandom in my mind.

Comment

Nope! Not alone! I just picked a random episode yesterday to watch as I was feeling a bit down.

Comment

I watch random episodes too. Especially when there is nothing on and I should be doing hw lol

Some arc shows you can rewatch random episodes. I for one was a die-heart Lost fan, and I can flip on a random episode and know exactly what was going on at that point and enjoy the episode.
          sigpic

Comment

To be honest it's worn a bit thin with me over the years. I generally will only watch as far as season 4 of SG-1, and only through season 1 of SGA. Love all of SGU as short lived as it was.

In my case Stargate was something that I loved as a teen. I loved the action and simply having a show that was still episodic when a lot of shows weren't. As I've matured though I have started to see the cracks and flaws in the show. There's certain aspects of the characters that I just can't get over and ruin my suspension of disbelief.

Having said that I still do rewatch through all of SG-1 about once a year for nostalgia value.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

me too it's my fav scifi franchise
              sigpic
              My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
              poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                In my case Stargate was something that I loved as a teen. I loved the action and simply having a show that was still episodic when a lot of shows weren't. As I've matured though I have started to see the cracks and flaws in the show. There's certain aspects of the characters that I just can't get over and ruin my suspension of disbelief.
                Well, for me my first SG-1 episode was 1997 and I was around 17. What I saw over the 10+ seasons to what I now see is quite different.

Of course there are character issues, especially when you could see they took a few seasons for the characters to find their feet, but all in all it was pretty damn good.

Its a great, fun, sci-fi show and I don't think looking and/or finding faults is really a productive thing to be doing. Its well in the past now. Enjoy it. There are few movies or shows that don't have some sort of fault in them!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Oh, no way are you alone!! I lurked for a couple of years before I signed up to Gateworld and joined a group of people who are just as crazy as me about Stargate. Glad you joined the party, it's never too late!

Not having anyone else to talk to about Stargate in RL made me happy to find others who echo the same sentiments about a show that remains as fun and watchable as the first time round. Now it's sad yet comforting to gather here and share how we all miss the show and continue to reminisce on 14 years of great adventures that never get old.

I watch random episodes too, Stargate is my 'happy place'!

Comment

sg1 is still my favorite scifi series of all time, hands down!!

i want to live this life.

sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ozzydave View Post
                      Well, for me my first SG-1 episode was 1997 and I was around 17. What I saw over the 10+ seasons to what I now see is quite different.

Of course there are character issues, especially when you could see they took a few seasons for the characters to find their feet, but all in all it was pretty damn good.

Its a great, fun, sci-fi show and I don't think looking and/or finding faults is really a productive thing to be doing. Its well in the past now. Enjoy it. There are few movies or shows that don't have some sort of fault in them!

Just my 2 cents worth.
                      Oh don't get me wrong, I still enjoy it on the main. I just don't rate it in my top ten list of shows any more when once it was in the number one spot.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I wonder if, at 35, Im one of the older, younger or middle of the road aged fans?

I hope I can get my son into it when he is old enough for it so I can re-watch again with somebody with fresh eyes!

Comment

I wonder if, at 35, Im one of the older, younger or middle of the road aged fans?

I hope I can get my son into it when he is old enough for it so I can re-watch again with somebody with fresh eyes!
                          Well, I'm a few years older than you, and only started watching about 2 years ago. My son was 11 then and also got hooked. He watched all of Atlantis most of SG1, but none of SGU yet. Although he is trying to finish before the Chicago Con this summer, he got side tracked by Doctor Who!

Comment

I'd be curious to know that too. At the Cons there always seems to be quite a mix of ages. I think it's a very enduring show. Even though some of the effects may get dated, the characterization and writing IMO was good enough to still capture new fans today.

Comment

I am 38 and would love to go to a convention but out of my price range for the foreseeable future
                              sigpic
                              My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                              poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Working...
                              X