Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Stargate should have been made public.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the real question is - when will Obama and the real U.S. government reveal the real Stargate program that this show was invented to cover-up?

I mean seriously, you think the U.S. needs all those drones, advanced systems and experimental weaponry to fight some rebels in the desert with AK47's? We're fighting aliens bro's, and we have been for some time!

Comment

By the point of SGU I'm not sure how it could be secret any more to be honest. The stargate program has to be huge at that point. You're looking at year of operation in multiple countries. You're talking dozens of elected officials around the world knowing about the program who would love to use that information to boost themselves. Heck the program has gotten so big by SGU that the Destiny crew is considered "the wrong people" and unqualified. Your organization that consists mostly of the most elite experts in their respective fields has to be massive if there's room for anyone who's unqualified.

As for how to announce it, you follow the announcement with a reward to soften the blow. Such as: "Hey, we've been keeping this secret for over a decade and almost got all of you killed a few times. BUT.... hey, here's some unlimited clean power for everyone via naquadah and cures/treatments for all sorts of ailments that we've discovered." Distract them with new shiny things while timing the announcement so that it becomes "old news" quickly.

Sure there'd be problems at first. However, Earth would benefit a great deal in the end. Imagine instead of having a secret organization of scientists researching alien technology and advanced astrophysics if you were able to involve hundreds? Imagine not having to take a bright young scientist, secretly tell them that everything they know is wrong, and then teach them the real advanced understanding of their field and instead had the best universities on the planet teaching the advanced understanding from the get go?

Comment

Originally posted by cathbadh View Post
        As for how to announce it, you follow the announcement with a reward to soften the blow. Such as: "Hey, we've been keeping this secret for over a decade and almost got all of you killed a few times. BUT.... hey, here's some unlimited clean power for everyone via naquadah and cures/treatments for all sorts of ailments that we've discovered." Distract them with new shiny things while timing the announcement so that it becomes "old news" quickly.
        Well i was thinking about the information monopoly the SGC has had for almost the entire duration, so technically they don't have to reveal a whole lot. The other half they can make up. I mean, how did we defeat apophis? who knows but the people directly involved? the jaffa involved are likely dead, the tok'ra are secretive as-is and the humans involved consists of SGC personnel and anyone from the SGC trying to leak, knows that they can be whisked away and have their memory altered.

So basically, the IOA can step forward, tell how we fought the Goa'uld in a.....polished version and then go talk about what great things we now have, like a solution to global warming. Nobody's gonna fill in on what precisely happened and the real mission reports can be kept safe in a bookshelf in the president's office or so.

Comment

Actually, I like a lot of your ideas. How I think the gate program should have been made public could actually be a short series/miniseries/websode that's used to spring launch a new full fledged Gate series with a new team, new cast and new mission. Something along the lines of Stargate & The West Wing.

It could be a short political Sci-fi political drama based primarily on Earth but with trips to other worlds and the Lucian Alliance thrown in for good measure. The sitting president (oh God please not the one used at the end of SG-1. I'd rather have someone more bad ass like President Santos in the West Wing. Someone who is politically savvy enough to know that sometimes you need to be firm and use the full power of the office to get your ways and other times you need to use tactics and flank your opponent...all the while still being a devote family man who deep inside still cares about people and is willing to fight the uphill fight to protect those he's sworn to protect) The White House, and new IOA cast would be the focal point in negotiating the foundation of revealing the gate program to other nations - some of those other nations coming forth as adversaries with their own agenda - and rallying the people of Earth for the greatest challenge man kind has ever faced, colonization of the universe. Then you'd be sure to throw in the Lucian Alliance as a trouble making faction, having found out of the intent to make the program public, the adversarial governments not willing to take the US/Russia/China/IOA lead and conspiring to throw a wrench to both gain a politically powerful ally but also for their desires to attack Earth and steal our advanced Asgard technology.

The show could be called something like "Stargate: Revelation" or some junk. The series would fit a recurring role of a ex Special Forces - "Green Beret" - officer (no more Air Force please. We do have other branches in the military you know ), turned politician who works the political channels but is recalled to active duty due to his discovery that space travel exists and space is a very, very dangerous place. The people along the way that help him overcome obstacles (save the world) could be used as a basis for his new team. That team would then head the premier SG Team for the follow on series.

That or you could always bring back COL David Dixon's character (I like Adam Baldwin alot.) as his performance brought a much needed seriousness to the role of SG Leader while still being a lovable smart ass. (quite honestly, I find more people like him in the actual military than I do people like Gen O'Niell.)

Being as he was part of Firefly and that show was amazing yet amazingly cut short, it wouldn't be that far of a stretch to bring back some of the cast to portray some recurring roles. I could see Dr. Jennifer Keller

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...00px-Trio6.jpg

making an appearance along with some other cast members of Firefly. Make it an episode where they're not supposed to know each other but they have an underlying code of inside jokes like say, one of them swore in chinese, or they said to her, "So you must be the ship's mechanic....No? Sorry, you just remind me of someone I used to know."

Either way, it's all fantasy but I don't see why the spring board series, that intentionally limits itself to a short span can't be used as an experimentation show to whet the appetites of Stargate Fans for the coming of a full fledged new series. Though I would say that whichever new series comes along, the techo-Deus Ex Machina would need to be toned down. Have the solutions be based more in reality because no one could be expected to understand so quickly even the science behind everything that was given to us by the Asgard so quickly. The physics behind it can't be learned in 6 months, even with the core giving us the answers.

Comment

Actually, I like a lot of your ideas. How I think the gate program should have been made public could actually be a short series/miniseries/websode that's used to spring launch a new full fledged Gate series with a new team, new cast and new mission. Something along the lines of Stargate & The West Wing.
            personally, for me stuff like the Asgard Core and Atlantis at earth practically ruined any chance at an earth-based series.

All they need is voice control over the asgard core and any problem ever will be solved in 10 seconds.

A race thousands of years ahead of us will have solved thousands of years worth of problems. We already live in a post-scarcity world, but this makes it too easy. Next stop, an Autowar and we don't even need SG teams.

Comment

Originally posted by obyone View Post
              Now would be the time for a WWII era military buildup to counter any foreseeable threat.
              More like the foreseeable threat would be the various countries on earth working against each other rather than with each other.
              Last edited by hedwig; 10 May 2014, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I don't think the stargate program can be made public...EVER. And if we do try, we have to do it VERY VERY slowly. How long will vary but right now, public reveal is impossible in my opinion. My concern isn't about mass panic but the politics.

Just take for example: If it goes public, we're probably going to give every country an "access the stargate free" pass. Many fan stories about a public stargate program talk about all the countries around the world having an "access the stargate free" pass. It's only fair, right? But, should we give Kosovo a pass? In the eyes of Serbia, Kosovo isn't a country but a rebellious part of Serbia. If you ask, "why does it matter?", think of it this way. If the south of the US suddenly said that it's a separate country and wants a stargate pass, the rest of the US would say 'no you're not, get back here'. So, should we give Kosovo a pass and piss of Serbia or piss of Kosovo by not giving it one?
                And, Kosovo VS Serbia is just the tip of the ice berg.
                There's:
                Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic VS Moldova
                Nagorno-Karabakh Republic VS Azerbaijan
                Republic of Abkhazia & Republic of South Ossetia VS Georgia
                Northen Cyprus VS Cyprus
                Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic VS Morocco
                Taiwan VS China (for this one, since China is a pretty big super power, countries call Taiwan "Chinese Taipei" and regard the island as part of China to appease China but then do things like send naval crafts to protect Taiwan from China. If you do regard Taiwan as part of China, then the US is protecting part of China from another part of China)
                And let's not forget Israel VS the rest of the bloody Middle East.
                And Southern Sudan is butting heads with South Sudan over whether or not Southern Sudan is a country.

All of these are autonomous and many of them regard each others as countries but only a part of the rest of the world call them countries. Should we give them a stargate pass? Or, are they just rowdy territories that we should look the other way? Conflicts between the might-be-countries and their parents range from simple political arguments to incredibly bloody civil wars and will probably begin launching missiles if you piss them off over access to the stargate.

And those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head. There are probably a dozen more.

And then there's the countries that HATE the US's guts (since the US still holds the Stargate and even if the stargate is put on neutral ground the US will still have the largest space fleet on Earth comprised of 3 ships compared to Russia blown up 1 and China's 1 ship. Not to mention, the US would still hold and have the most experience in alien technology). North Korea would start launching nukes the moment they find out the US has space ships. Sure, the US would probably win with Odyssey, Daedelus, and Apollo, but that won't stop the blood from being spilled.

Besides, how is the "dear leader" supposed to reveal the stargate to his people when his country is a big black spot on the map?
                Last edited by StargateMillennium; 21 June 2014, 03:53 PM.

sigpic
                Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                  I don't think the stargate program can be made public...EVER. And if we do try, we have to do it VERY VERY slowly. How long will vary but right now, public reveal is impossible in my opinion. My concern isn't about mass panic but the politics.
                  I don't see how you could reveal this slowly.

Secondly, there is no choice. people like Snowden have already shown that secrets can't be kept secret forever. it's only going to be so long before a Lucian Alliance member goes to earth (well they've already been here), and is caught out in the open by a cell phone camera like we have so many of.

There are only two real ways to do this:

*grow a pair and reveal it by choice
                  *wait until the worst possible combination of events will ensure that the revelation happens as messy as one can imagine.

The best moment has already passed (it was after Enemy at the Gate) for a chance for the least messy way to unveil the stargate.

Now, the lucian alliance is stirring up trouble. It'll only be so long before a galactic wild west causes a ha'tak to hover over Cape Town.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    I don't see how you could reveal this slowly.

Secondly, there is no choice. people like Snowden have already shown that secrets can't be kept secret forever. it's only going to be so long before a Lucian Alliance member goes to earth (well they've already been here), and is caught out in the open by a cell phone camera like we have so many of.

There are only two real ways to do this:

*grow a pair and reveal it by choice
                    *wait until the worst possible combination of events will ensure that the revelation happens as messy as one can imagine.

The best moment has already passed (it was after Enemy at the Gate) for a chance for the least messy way to unveil the stargate.

Now, the lucian alliance is stirring up trouble. It'll only be so long before a galactic wild west causes a ha'tak to hover over Cape Town.
                    When I say slowly, I mean like one country at a time. It's easier dealing with one rowdy country than an entire planet of them. And if the rowdy country does try to go public, who's gonna believe them? They'd need to bug the conference room.

And I think an alien invasion is the worst time to go public. They might unite to fight back but once the fighting's over, the infighting begins. Think of the revolutionary war. Once America beat Great Britain, all the colonies/states tried to go their own separate way.

Or are you talking about after the invasion is halted and the victors can announce to the world they got the situation covered. 'Cause the other countries would begin complaining that their very existence was being carelessly played with by the US.

(Yeah, I'm a pessimist)

sigpic
                    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Given the global age we live in, once the Stargate is revealed to one country, the rest of the world is going to find out.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                        When I say slowly, I mean like one country at a time. It's easier dealing with one rowdy country than an entire planet of them. And if the rowdy country does try to go public, who's gonna believe them? They'd need to bug the conference room.

And I think an alien invasion is the worst time to go public. They might unite to fight back but once the fighting's over, the infighting begins. Think of the revolutionary war. Once America beat Great Britain, all the colonies/states tried to go their own separate way.

Or are you talking about after the invasion is halted and the victors can announce to the world they got the situation covered. 'Cause the other countries would begin complaining that their very existence was being carelessly played with by the US.

(Yeah, I'm a pessimist)
                        Uhm.....

Do you follow the news? the US hacked the UN only to find the chinese beat them to it. Millions of highly classified documents are available to everyone because of snowden. Everyone's spying on everyone. There is no way on earth you even so slightly can reveal it one country at a time. Especially not if you actually mean you want to reveal it to the population of a nation rather than just it's rulers, because that's not going to work at all.

Post-EATG was the best moment because it means that the biggest liability (Atlantis in pegasus) is gone now and is safe from the Wraith. The threat from pegasus has now been massively reduced. Story-wise we knew nothing of any other enemy. It was the closest the galaxy got to peace.

I think that that's a far better thing than them compaining the US represented the entire earth to the friggin universe for close to a decade.

Comment

Working...
                        X