Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Stargate should have been made public.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Stargate should have been made public.

What I'm saying, is that after the elimination of the Gould and ceasing of hostilities with the Ori, why is the Stargate program still a secret? You'd think that now that they have a breather between major enemies, knowing that they still plan to remain a player in Galactic and Intergalactic dealings and knowing that space is a very dangerous place, you'd think they would begin concentrating on planetary defense. Now would be the time for a WWII era military buildup to counter any foreseeable threat.

Like they say, "All hands on deck!"

Make it public, enlist the help of all nations and focus the resources of the entire planet towards building planetary defenses, off world bases and while there, off world mining and other industry to support the build up. Corporations would jump at the chance to explore and exploit new resources. The only drawback I see is keeping order among the off-world civilian bases.

They were going to make the sg1 film about it going public but yeah got cancelled

Comment

With the SGU cancellation, Revolution and Extinction were cancelled. But yeah... it should have been made public.

But it's also MGM's fault for not giving the writers a chance to make that storyline happen. In SG-1 season 7, they already set up for that to happen. "Lost City" was supposed to be a movie, however, the show got renewed for another season, so it got re-written into a 2-part episode, so the going public thing got cut. However, the President's speach, originally intended for "Lost City", was later used in "Stargate SG-1: Continuum", however, the whole timeline changing stuff, which was a recycled plot for God knows how many times in the series, once again undid the Stargate going public storyline.

Comment

I am kind of on the fence about it. I think the fact that they were under attack for so long could cause a mass panic, at the same time the people do have the right to know.
        sigpic

Comment

It's not real, who cares if it causes mass panic or people deserve to know? What matters is how it will effect the franchise. Personally I'd say that having it set in the present day with contemporary characters is critical. I hope if there is every a continuation that we don't see the SG program revealed to the public.

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
            I am kind of on the fence about it. I think the fact that they were under attack for so long could cause a mass panic, at the same time the people do have the right to know.
            Only untill people realize we got a massive cache of advanced technology to solve thousands of problems with out of it.

We won. enemy presence is what justifies (and is what justified ) the secrecy of the program. now that there's no real enemy, we can reveal it and reap the benefits.

Originally posted by KEK View Post
            It's not real, who cares if it causes mass panic or people deserve to know? What matters is how it will effect the franchise. Personally I'd say that having it set in the present day with contemporary characters is critical. I hope if there is every a continuation that we don't see the SG program revealed to the public.
            true, and i agree. But with the end of the franchise in sight, it just could've been a nice wrap-up and full circle

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
              It's not real, who cares if it causes mass panic or people deserve to know? What matters is how it will effect the franchise.
              Well a storyline about a mass panic would certainly affect the franchise.

The other thing is that the Earth stargate (also the Atlantis stargate) is the most secure stargate in the galaxy. Hidden deep inside a mountain, with an iris, with rigorous safety protocols and procedures.

If you make the Stargate public, then everyone would want to use it (they already made a great fuzz about it while it was a secret). And it would probably end up like the stargate seen in '2010', at a public terminal. And that would be the ultimate safety issue. And the end of the exploration aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by WavyRancheros View Post
                Well a storyline about a mass panic would certainly affect the franchise.
                he meant whether it would be a positive thing. The secrecy was a big part of the immersion of stargate, the "it could be us right there right now" feeling. disclosure would spoil that.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  We won. enemy presence is what justifies (and is what justified ) the secrecy of the program. now that there's no real enemy, we can reveal it and reap the benefits.
                  Well there kind of are. Their enemies may not be as significant as the Goa'uld or Ori were, but the Lucian Alliance seems to have become a sizable threat what with their brazen attacks on an off-world site and Earth itself. The idea that they could just show up in cloaked cargo ships with naquadah bombs and level Earth civilization in the blink of an eye is a fairly scare worthy premise and it's not something that is going to be countered all that much by an increase in off-world oriented military spending. They might be more likely to receive advanced intelligence with more manpower, but being able to build extra ships and off-world bases with a non-black ops budget isn't going to make them safer and, if anything, will increase the chances of an attack.

So there's that to worry about. There's also the Wraith who are just one major discovery away from being able to reach Earth, if they're not there already (who knows what they've been up to of late). Although, last we saw them they were in such bad shape that Earth likely could have defeated them militarily if they had more resources available to them. So that would certainly favor the public support premise as the longer they are left alone the greater chance they have to unite again and focus their efforts on finding Ancient hyperdrives that they can use to learn how to upgrade their own engines. But it would be years before Earth has a fleet large enough to take on the Wraith head on, even with the kind of funding that they would have available to them if the program was public. Plus, Earth's current technology isn't that effective at keeping Earth safe from a Wraith attack. Don't get me wrong, those ships are great for going on the offensive, but if the Wraith show up en mass, that's it. They may be able to win against the Hives and Cruisers, but they will have lost anyway because they can't handle thousands upon thousands of darts. They will slip right through Earth's defenses and just cause massive amounts of damage to the planet's surface.

Mind you, though, I am not saying that because the threat is so high they should just sit on their hands and hope to be able to find a viable solution to such problems with limited resources as that would be absurd. Rather, I am pointing out that there is still a lot of cause for average people to be scared out of their minds and that means that there is still cause to support the concern that people will respond in a way that will be counter productive to their military efforts. Instead of rallying behind the idea of expanding everything related to the Stargate program to make Earth safer, it could lead to a serious social upheaval that ends up reducing their current capability to protect the planet. That could happen even during peacetime, as such a revelation would be a lot to take in for a fair number of people. But add the fear of impending doom, on top of everything else, and things could end up going very badly.

If they legitimately had no enemies right now, I'd say go for it as the sooner they get past any potential fallout the better they'll be in the long term. But just because the Goa'uld and Ori are gone does not mean that they do not have very real problems to deal with right now that they can't afford to get distracted from in the short term. Ultimately, I don't know how things would really turn out, but I could see why they'd still be concerned to rock the boat.

Comment

The show at it's core is a top secret organization using an alien device to explore worlds and help defend Earth from a imminent alien attack. Originally that was fine because revealing such a incredible device such as that even after many nations learned of it's existence would lead the world basically causing confusion and chaos on the world and Stargate Command. They needed focus and no distractions with politicians and people wanting the device to be shut down and covered up. Or politicians trying to ge the device out in the open so all nations can use it. Stuff like that. The world is filled with self righteous, fear driven idiots.

Now with the main threats gone. No Ori, No Goa'uld. The Wraith for the time being stuck in their galaxy and the Lucian Alliance can be held back from their own incompetence and Earth's military, I think the time is now for them reveal it.
                    Hi There!

Comment

I think they have the right idea by keeping it secret. Disclosure is required so the Tauri can reach their full potential but not a surprise speech.

The technology is diffusing gradually into the general population - the various space ships the Tauri use are mentioned to utilise contractors IIRC and it is also stated in Atlantis that nanotechnology from the replicators is making its way too into commercial ventures. Someone somewhere will realise that the technology used and the schematics for the parts they are provided are exotic in their origins andnthe more ships the countries build the more contracts will be offered and the more people will come into unknowing contact with alien tech. All it takes is one such person who tells a friend about his job after getting drunk in a bar and then it becomes rumour on internet forums. I also see it as inevitable that they will go on recruitment drives to populate the offworld bases (whether that be colonists or the mere expansion of existing facilities) and more and more people will be uncontactable. There are only so many people who can be stationed in some remote place beyond contact.

Tl:dr - I imagine the flowchart to be like this: Nobody knows except a very few who are involved -> Government gets more people involved -> more know something is going on -> technology appears in society in various forms -> rumours get around and some are published in magazines ---> eventually it becomes something everyone knows something big is up but nothing is admitted --> civiliand speak openly about their involvement with the Stargate program --> alien life becomes accepted and people let the knowledge shape their lives --> in 2050 the files are finally declassified without much attention being drawn to it --> people talk about it to tunes of "told you so" and "already knew all about it."

Comment

Originally posted by Ankara View Post

Tl:dr - I imagine the flowchart to be like this: Nobody knows except a very few who are involved -> Government gets more people involved -> more know something is going on -> technology appears in society in various forms -> rumours get around and some are published in magazines ---> eventually it becomes something everyone knows something big is up but nothing is admitted --> civiliand speak openly about their involvement with the Stargate program --> alien life becomes accepted and people let the knowledge shape their lives --> in 2050 the files are finally declassified without much attention being drawn to it --> people talk about it to tunes of "told you so" and "already knew all about it."
                        because people are totally fine that a handful of people determines the fate of the entire planet... yea right. All the nations not in the IOA will riot first, followed by public outrage at politicians withholding important information for over a decade.

Oh and how do you think the SGC can prove it's innocence? The moment any of it's documents are releases a trial on par with post-WWII germany will occur suing just about every person involved in the SGC for breaking one or numerous laws.

-Every instance of a nuke being used violates international treaties. Every BC-304 violates international treaties. With the ability to become a nuke and no proper safeguards, every Mark I generator is a violation of international treaties. The list on this alone is massive.

-War crimes were committed in "ark of truth", "the other side", but also "poisoning the well" breaking international treaties.

-the Arctic weapon itself breaks international treaties.

Oh and since the SGC is the only supplier of documents and the only human instance involved in any of this, there's no proof that the war they started with the Goa'uld was justified, the genocide on the Replicators was justified, or that anything they did or claim to acquire was justified or verifiable.

The revelation of the gate will unchain the mother of all legal processes against the United States, the SGC, The IOA and anyone ever involved. Hell, SG1 themselves can face a lifetime in jail for what they did.

Comment

I agree with everything you said and I guess that's why MGM cut the writers opportunity to make the Stargate program public on more than 1 occasion. For it to get public, a bunch of laws worldwide must be changed first, so everyone, who was ever involved with the program, doesn't feel any consequences on their skin.

I think the Stargate program, if an attempt would be ever made to make it public - this is the only way to go:
                          1. Change the necessary laws before the program going public so anyone, involved with it, doesn't end up getting arrested and tried for breaking the law.
                          2. Under the new laws, make the Stargate program public, thus, making everyone at SGC being rewarded for their work, especially SG-1, the Atlantis expedition and the Destiny crew.
                          3. Leak new technologies troughout the following years and decades and make the life safer on Earth. Of course, place special laws for usage of those technologies.
                          4. Use the new technologies to limit the crime or to remove it completely. Have the new medical discoveries improve life on Earth.
                          5. After 70-80-90 years, return the laws to what they were before the revealance of the Stargate program. Have the decendants of SG-1, SGA and Destiny's expedition members be somehow involved with the Stargate program, however, this time, without breaking the laws on missions.

So we're looking at at least a 100-120 years long process of making the program public. Or maybe even more than that. By the time that happens, our characters would be long-dead by then and wouldn't get to be present at the revealance anyway.

I know this may have sounded stupid, but this is the only possible way for our characters to get out of any possible indictments without even breaking a sweat about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post

For it to get public, a bunch of laws worldwide must be changed first, so everyone, who was ever involved with the program, doesn't feel any consequences on their skin.
                            even that won't cut it. The laws would both have to be changed, and the crimes outdated (isn't the outdating time like, 30 years?) or else they can still get prosecuted for crimes that were illegal at the time.

3. Leak new technologies troughout the following years and decades and make the life safer on Earth. Of course, place special laws for usage of those technologies.
                            4. Use the new technologies to limit the crime or to remove it completely. Have the new medical discoveries improve life on Earth.
                            5. After 70-80-90 years, return the laws to what they were before the revealance of the Stargate program. Have the decendants of SG-1, SGA and Destiny's expedition members be somehow involved with the Stargate program, however, this time, without breaking the laws on missions.
                            While this is theoretically the best, i doubt this is gonna happen. by far the likeliest is the scenario like Vietnam: some president at the end of his term, free from political obligations and stuff does the right thing and reveals it.
                            The reason i would push for voluntary reveal is the alternative: someone pulls a snowden and spills ALL the secrets.

So we're looking at at least a 100-120 years long process of making the program public. Or maybe even more than that. By the time that happens, our characters would be long-dead by then and wouldn't get to be present at the revealance anyway.

I know this may have sounded stupid, but this is the only possible way for our characters to get out of any possible indictments without even breaking a sweat about it.
                            Again while theoretically ideal, it's not quite what will happen in all likelyhood. The SGC is an exceptionally shady case as they have a monopoly on some 7 years of information about the program. legally, they might as well have provoked the Goa'uld war themselves and are responsible for billions of deaths galaxy-wide.

The best approach is the one i outlined earlier: come out to the public, starting with an annoucement that we've won, we're the heroes and the galaxy is a safe place because of us. Show some footage from "prototype" and "evolution" about evil aliens walzing through corridors harming and torturing people and telling the public "we've won". Even if it's a fat lie, a well-executed propaganda reveal can at the very least seed doubt about the "evilness" of the 10-year secrecy and continue to make civillians doubt it decades down the line.

Comment

Honestly for it to be revealed would require an intense amount of planning and timing. Basically certain things would have to be leaked out, and then slowly bring up the Big Reveal.

Of course which is the Big Reveal? The Stargate itself or the fact Earth has space battleships with all of the technology like Star Trek?
                              Hi There!

Comment

Working...
                              X