Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The fate of the Stargate program under real-world recession issues?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there's no obvious or immediate danger directly tied to the gate program I can see the funding being slashed significantly in favour of ship and base building. There'd still be some gate funding but not to the levels seen during the Goa'uld era.
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield- Tennyson
    http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusings
    http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by McAvoy View Post
      Mining offworld is basically a moot point. The Stargate is such a bottleneck that you would basically shut down the whole Stargate Program in favor of mining for resources. The best bet is for a massive ship building program to build cargo ships and a defense fleet to protect those ships. That is how you would be able to effectively mine off world. Definitely not through a Stargate.
      What if we figured out how to make use of a Supergate for mining purposes? Maybe utilize something similar to the Lucian Alliance's Kassa Transport Train and a Supergate to transport larger quantities of whatever is being mined?

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
        What if we figured out how to make use of a Supergate for mining purposes? Maybe utilize something similar to the Lucian Alliance's Kassa Transport Train and a Supergate to transport larger quantities of whatever is being mined?
        or move the stargate and headquarters to the moon, and mine the moon.
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by McAvoy View Post
          Mining offworld is basically a moot point. The Stargate is such a bottleneck that you would basically shut down the whole Stargate Program in favor of mining for resources. The best bet is for a massive ship building program to build cargo ships and a defense fleet to protect those ships. That is how you would be able to effectively mine off world. Definitely not through a Stargate.
          It depends on what you mine. The most valuable material to mine right now is the Rare Earth materials. Neodynium for one. You don't need to mine billions of tonnes of it.

Mining iron offworld is madness, but rare materials would make sense.

I don't see why they never moved the SGC offworld to begin with. At some points the risks became so ludicrous that it wasn't worth keeping it here to begin with.

Run the offworld operations from a nearby planet and run mining operations directly to earth. Just throw the ore through at terminal velocity to maximize flow.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            It depends on what you mine. The most valuable material to mine right now is the Rare Earth materials. Neodynium for one. You don't need to mine billions of tonnes of it.

Mining iron offworld is madness, but rare materials would make sense.

I don't see why they never moved the SGC offworld to begin with. At some points the risks became so ludicrous that it wasn't worth keeping it here to begin with.

Run the offworld operations from a nearby planet and run mining operations directly to earth. Just throw the ore through at terminal velocity to maximize flow.
            Depends on how much of that rare non-Earth ore they need. If a few dozen tons is enough than I agree. But if those 302s and 304s are made up of a large percentage of it then what I said stands true.

But moving the SGC offworld takes away security of both the SGC and Earth. That idea only works if Earth itself is well protected and organized to defend itself from attack, space or from the gate. Same goes for the SGC.
            Hi There!

Comment

Working...
            X