Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's the worst companion ever of Doctor Who?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's the worst companion ever of Doctor Who?

Who was that companion that you would label the worst ever in Doctor Who?

For me I can only say a couple.

Mel (sure she was cute but she was bloody annoying) What was her full name?
    Amelia Pond
    Peri Perpigillian Brown.
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Of the ones I've seen in the classics, I'd have to go with Susan. She was just whiny and helpless so much of the time (so grateful Barbara was there to show an example of a strong woman).

Of the modern ones, the one I liked the very least was Rose.
    sigpic
    My Site || My Blog

Comment

No contest

Mel.

Just Mel.

.... Also not a big fan of Rose but at least she had a couple of moments.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        No contest

Mel.

Just Mel.

.... Also not a big fan of Rose but at least she had a couple of moments.
        Why didn't you like Mel? Why did most fans not like her? Is there a consensus of thought on why?

Comment

Rose - I liked the Rose who was with the 9th Doctor, but couldn't stand her as soon as she was with the 10th. She became far too clingy and selfish. Her treatment of Mickey and Sarah Jane sealed her fate as my most disliked companion. Also the Doctor didn't seem to know or didn't seem to care that she was manipulating him.

Mel - I couldn't stand the hideous screaming or Bonnie Langford's acting style - she acts like she's on a Pantomine stage, where every gesture is over melodramatic.. Also memories of Bonnie in Just William keep surfacing. "I'll sqweam and sqweam until I make mythelf thick". Ugghh.

Some companions that I used to dislike but who have grown on me are Peri and Adric. When I first watched them I couldn't stand either of them. But on watching them again I've changed my mind, Peri in particular has grown on me a lot. I think The Caves of Androzani is Peri at her finest. Adric still has moments where I think he's an insufferable know-it-all (Four to Doomsday) but I think his death was really touching.

But the prize for the most complete turn around in my opinion goes to Vislor Turlough. I absolutely hated him (he tried to kill the Doctor!) but these days he's one of my favourites. I just didn't see the layers in Turlough's character when I was younger. He's so interesting and multi-faceted. You never know quite what is going on in his head or which way he will fall. Excellent character.
          Last edited by Blencathra; 03 March 2014, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Never liked Rose, to much lovey dovey with the doctor
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pookey View Post
              Never liked Rose, to much lovey dovey with the doctor
              She was bad for that but so was Martha

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                She was bad for that but so was Martha
                Well, yes and no, really. Martha's crush/feelings was more or less a direct result of him kissing her, which was pretty much giving her mixed signals. One moment he would kiss her, invite her along, and then he would pretty much treat her like crap, talking all about how Rose would know what to do, expecting her to take Rose's place while the whole time telling her how she would never take Rose's place...

Rose just downright irks me at times (and this is definitely not a comment on Billie, as I think she was terrific as The Moment). I don't specifically hate her, I just don't particularly like her. I think she's really over-hyped as a character. She's immature, all puppy love and needy. Very selfishly motivated a lot of the time, as well.

Martha has more things going for her, more maturity, she's cleverer (although the Doctor treated her as though she wasn't), has a bit more backbone (more noticeably in the end of her run) and is generally more independent - but she's the quiet, overlooked character. The rebound-companion who has to work twice as hard for a fraction of the recognition. And she acknowledges that in the end and leaves, making her exit anything but sad - because it's such a character growth moment. She is done with letting him walk all over her, no matter how much she is impressed by him. She leaves for her own sake and makes a life for herself.
                sigpic
                My Site || My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by misskitten View Post
                  Well, yes and no, really. Martha's crush/feelings was more or less a direct result of him kissing her, which was pretty much giving her mixed signals. One moment he would kiss her, invite her along, and then he would pretty much treat her like crap, talking all about how Rose would know what to do, expecting her to take Rose's place while the whole time telling her how she would never take Rose's place...

Rose just downright irks me at times (and this is definitely not a comment on Billie, as I think she was terrific as The Moment). I don't specifically hate her, I just don't particularly like her. I think she's really over-hyped as a character. She's immature, all puppy love and needy. Very selfishly motivated a lot of the time, as well.

Martha has more things going for her, more maturity, she's cleverer (although the Doctor treated her as though she wasn't), has a bit more backbone (more noticeably in the end of her run) and is generally more independent - but she's the quiet, overlooked character. The rebound-companion who has to work twice as hard for a fraction of the recognition. And she acknowledges that in the end and leaves, making her exit anything but sad - because it's such a character growth moment. She is done with letting him walk all over her, no matter how much she is impressed by him. She leaves for her own sake and makes a life for herself.

You make good points

Comment

Mel is Melanie Bush, though I'm pretty sure we never hear her surname on screen.

And, I never really had anything much against her... Yes, she's a screamer, but so were many companions. Yes, next to Ace, she's nothing special... But all in all I find her quite likeable.

It's easy to dismiss a companion like Dodo as the worst, as we barely have any footage of her... (So, for people like myself who missed the original airings, it's hard to really get a feel for her) But what I have seen of Dodo doesn't make me think she was really all that annoying...

I don't think I avoid any particular story/s because of the companion...

I guess I'm just too much of a fence sitter...
                    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                    and lots more!

Comment

Could be a Smart Arse and toss out Kameilion as "worst companion"...
                      I like Sharky
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                        Could be a Smart Arse and toss out Kameilion as "worst companion"...
                        I don't remember him/it/her............

Romana II annoyed me. I just couldn't warm to her.

Comment

I don't remember him/it/her............
                          And yet you make a very appropriate comment...

Romana II annoyed me. I just couldn't warm to her.
                          Tom warmed to her...
                          back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                          "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                          "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                          and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                            And yet you make a very appropriate comment...
                            I remember who the character was but not what they did on the show.......

Tom warmed to her...

He was quite the ladies man on the set. He soniced her I bet

Comment

I remember who the character was but not what they did on the show.......

He was quite the ladies man on the set. He soniced her I bet
                              Well I would have thought so since he married her.
                              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X