help req: watch order & purchasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help req: watch order & purchasing

Hello All And Thanks For Reading... First, The Messed Up Caps Thing Is Thanks To My Phone.

Second... Can Someone Provide Help For Obtaining All BSG Content And Watch Orders?

I Have read The Wiki And Have Tried To Sort Out My Confusion, But Have Failed. I Run Into Too Many Extended Episode This And Web Series That Too Keep BSG straight.

1) What Should I Buy Or Legally Download To Have The Complete BSG Series? I Have Already Purchased The Complete Series On BluRay But My Version Doesnt Have "the Plan" So I Will Need To Purchase That Still... What Else Must I Buy??

2) Once I Have Everything... What Is Both The Correct Timeline Order AND Broadcast Orders To Watch? Keeping In Mind that I Want To Skip Any Edited Episodes And Watch The Extended Versions Instead

Finally.... Please Include Any Web Series Or Other "Minor" Or Even Hated (The Plan) Episodes In The List As I Really Want To See It All And Decide For Myself.

Thank You Again For Taking The Time And I Appologize If This Has Been Asked Before... Im Unable To Search On My Phone.

How to watch BSG?
    <Thinks>

First watch Blood and Chrome followed by the Mini Series. Then follow up by watching Season 1 and 2, Season 3 and then 'Razor' followed by Season 4.

The Plan can be watched at any time whilst you are watching the series.

Of course someone else may have their own thoughts.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Thank You... Any Other Web Shorts Out There Or Just Blood And Chrome?

Comment

I would skip B&C (or at least wait till you're done, then go back to it). There's at least one plot element that makes sense in context of the main BSG series, but if you see it first it would be rather misleading and may lead to some confusion in the later seasons of BSG. BUT if you watch it afterward, it kind of clicks a little more, 'ahh okay that's what was going on before x happened.'

Anyhow the chronological flow of the main series runs:

Miniseries
        Season 1
        Season 2 (Episodes 1 to 17)
        Razor
        Season 2 (Episodes 18-20)
        The Resistance (webisodes, included on the Season 3 set)
        Season 3
        Season 4 (Episodes 1 to 11)
        Face of the Enemy (webisodes, avail. online but is not on any DVD set)
        Season 4 (Episodes 12 to 20)

There are a couple of 'extended' episodes in there, and I would say always go with that cut instead of the broadcast version. It's not that there's necessarily anything wrong with the broadcast versions, but the 'extended' ones are the episodes as originally envisioned by the creators before they had to cut scenes for time in order to fit into a 60 minute TV timeslot.

'Razor' was released between Seasons 3 and 4, but it's actually set late in Season 2. I absolutely recommend watching it there rather than when it was released because it was a nice tease of things to come, and on top of that, the Season 4 premiere picks up immediately from the Season 3 finale so removing it means you're not disrupting the show's main narrative.

'Razor' also includes some webisodes collectively referred to as the 'Razor Flashbacks'. Most of them are actually incorporated into the film itself, so there's no need to go looking specifically for them. There was one or two of these 'minisodes' that was cut from the film that really don't make any difference, but if you're feeling like a completionist, just check them out after you've finished the movie.

Regarding 'The Plan'....it was pretty freaking terrible and I'd recommend skipping it entirely. It plays out like a glorified clipshow, jumping through the timeline of the first two seasons and trying very hamfistedly to answer unanswered questions that really didn't need answering in the first place. I thought it seriously detracted from the first couple seasons of the show. If you must watch it, however, save it for some time after the end of Season 2, as the most 'recent' it gets is to explain an unanswered thread from the Season 2 finale.
        Last edited by DigiFluid; 25 January 2014, 06:27 AM.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

thanks you as well for the great reply. Don't remember reading about "Face of the Enemy".

Is there a DRM free way to own that web series??... or would I have to go through a place like Amazon or itunes to get those? I'd prefer to buy them legally, but would like to be able to burn them to DVD or Bluray to "keep" without my viewing rights expiring or something.

also... is "face of the enemy" only in SD or can it be found in HD?

Thanks again!

Comment

Face of the Enemy was a set of webisodes that was released for free online in the lead-up to the premiere of the second half of Season 4 (though they're actually set slightly later than that).

Nobody seems to know why they aren't available on any of the DVD sets, but they've been omitted from both the original release of the "Complete Series" set as well as the re-issue of that set after The Plan came out. Maybe it has something to do with publication rights? I don't know. In any case, you can't buy them anywhere -- just find them online.

They were originally available on the Syfy website but that no longer seems to be the case, and they don't appear to be on the iTunes Store either. You should be able to find them on YouTube though. And, sadly, the only option available is crappy quality SD a/v.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Thank You Again.... I Think I Finally Have A,Good Grasp Of What I Need To Do. Much appreciated

Comment

I have the blu ray box set of the complete series (the tower one which came out before 'The Plan' was released) and I was pleased to see that it had 'The Resistance Webisodes' on it. As for "Face of the Enemy" I hadn't checked to see if it was on there yet.

I was wondering this last night too as I watched the series. I just finished season 2 having wanted to watch "RAZOR" many episodes earlier but thinking I should wait. Now, due to the story line, I want to watch "The Plan" as well.

I would be tempted to watch it in an order similar to whats been posted. I do, however, recommend if you can to watch the deleted scenes as you go along. I'm in the habit now of watching the deleted scenes for each episode as I finish them. What you'll find is that some scenes are 'canon' and some aren't anymore. The deleted scenes often fill out more of the flashbacks such as Colonel Tigh's background with Adama. Sometimes bits and pieces of the deleted scenes end up in the "Previously on Battlestar Galactica" segments and in other cases, what's shown/stated is reused differently in another episode so I find that to be pretty interesting.

As for the rest, I think it's mostly straight forward. I'm planning to watch them as they had been released so that the directors vision, the path they're guiding the audience down, is more in line with their intentions. If I could do something different, I probably would have watched Razor before finishing season 2. But now that I have finished Season 2, I'm going to watch RAZOR (extended), I want to see if I can watch all the Razor Flashbacks (for completion sake), then 'The Resistance' minisodes, and I'm TEMPTED to watch 'The Plan' before season 3.

One thing I will say about "The Plan" is that it took time to grow on me. The name is definitely ironic. One of the things Ron Moore was very careful of in the show was to not 'deflate' the tension and 'The Plan,' because it shows there is no plan as they expected to be victorious, really does that. It's for this fact that it's more appropriate to watch after everything.

I recommend watching the deleted scenes from "Blood & Chrome" after watching it (if you plan to watch it before BSG proper) as you'll see some echoes of stories to come.

Digifluid's list is really the best I think. The Plan is up to the person (although after the show or near the end is probably best)

Comment

hmmm... had to find one more question of course...

Where does Caprica (TV series) fit into all of this... and are there any other spin-offs like Caprica???

Guess that was two questions....It seems every time I look I find another series or spin-off, lol

Comment

CAPRICA takes place some 40+ years before BSG. It is honestly one of my favourite shows ever.

The story line stops, due to being cancelled, just shy of really showing the events that led up to the First Cylon war but it shows in some rather fascinating detail life on Caprica before the first Cylon war, and life on the Colonies before the invention of the Cylons.

You could watch it first, but because it was cancelled, there is now a large gap between it and BSG or B&C even so there is a lot left unsaid and unseen. For this reason, it's easier to watch BSG THEN Caprica because it makes more sense in hind sight rather than as a logical progression.

Comment

Originally posted by GoodMusician86 View Post
                      CAPRICA takes place some 40+ years before BSG. It is honestly one of my favourite shows ever.

The story line stops, due to being cancelled, just shy of really showing the events that led up to the First Cylon war but it shows in some rather fascinating detail life on Caprica before the first Cylon war, and life on the Colonies before the invention of the Cylons.

You could watch it first, but because it was cancelled, there is now a large gap between it and BSG or B&C even so there is a lot left unsaid and unseen. For this reason, it's easier to watch BSG THEN Caprica because it makes more sense in hind sight rather than as a logical progression.
                      ^ Exactly what this guy/gal said.

Comment

sounds good, Thank you a ton.

Comment

OK... so... after re-reading this thread and using that to help me search correctly... I've come up with this "time line" order to watch everything in.

If I'm missing something please correct me as I'll be starting to watch this series very soon now that I have all the Blu-Rays and have found all the webisodes online....

Battlestar Galactica Timeline Watch Order

Sources
                          1) this thread, thanks a ton to all that replied
                          2) http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Li...isodes#Caprica
                          3) http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/...ing-order.html
                          4) Random Google searches

01 - Caprica (Episodes 01-18)
                          02 - Blood & Crhome (Episodes 01-10)
                          03 - Miniseries (Part 1 & 2)
                          04 - Season 1 (Episodes 01-13)
                          05 - Season 2 (Episodes 01-09)
                          06 - **EXTENDED** Season 2 Episode 10 - Pegasus (On Blu-Ray)
                          07 - Season 2 (Episodes 11-17)

08 - **Razor Extended** and/or/then **Razor Flashbacks**
                          (((Razor Exteneded is on Blu-Ray, includes most of Razor Flashbacks *missing flashbacks 1, 2 and parts of 7*)))
                          (((Razor Flashbacks is 7 webisodes or find the "bsg4you Fan Edit")))

09 - Season 2 (Episodes 18-20)
                          10 - ***The Plan (Events from Cylon perspective (clip show) that goes as far as Season 2 Final)
                          11 - ***The Resistance (On Blu-Ray OR Online 10 webisodes OR find the "bsg4you Fan Edit")
                          12 - Season 3 (Episodes 01-08)
                          13 - **EXTENDED** Season 3 Episode 09 - Unfinished Business
                          14 - Season 3 (Episodes 10-20)
                          15 - Season 4 (Episodes 1 to 10)
                          16 - ***Face of the Enemy (Online Only as 10 webisodes or find the "bsg4you Fan Edit")
                          17 - Season 4 (Episode 11)
                          18 - **EXTENDED** Season 4 Episode 12 - A Disquiet Follows My Soul
                          19 - Season 4 (Episodes 13-17)
                          20 - **EXTENDED** Season 4 Episode 18 - Islanded In A Stream Of Stars
                          21 - **EXTENDED** Season 4 Episode 19/20 - Daybreak (Parts 1&2)

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            Regarding 'The Plan'....it was pretty freaking terrible and I'd recommend skipping it entirely. It plays out like a glorified clipshow, jumping through the timeline of the first two seasons and trying very hamfistedly to answer unanswered questions that really didn't need answering in the first place. I thought it seriously detracted from the first couple seasons of the show. If you must watch it, however, save it for some time after the end of Season 2, as the most 'recent' it gets is to explain an unanswered thread from the Season 2 finale.
                            I agree, skip the plan, you'll be much better off.

Comment

Ooh, I just realized something...

SKIP 'THE PLAN' TILL AFTER YOU'RE DONE THE SERIES

I forgot about part of it which completely spoils some things that you don't learn till halfway through season 4. SKIP IT TILL LATER!

Comment

Working...
                              X