Does it get any better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it get any better?

I was a massive fan of the original 70's films & series so was really excited when BSG got rebooted.
    I rented the DVD and absolutely hated it. I switched off half way through. I just wasn't enjoying it.

Pick in the UK have just started showing a complete re-run of all of the new series and I have watched about 3 episodes. It's a bit better, but still not great.

So far it's just been a big disappointment. I'm not sure if I should just stop watching it or if it gets better later on?

It depends. I have no idea what you hated. In my personal opinion of what I liked and disliked about BSG it got worse. Their are many who would disagree however.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

I watched Classic BSG when I was much younger, and loved the miniseries.

I just couldn't get into the new series though...despite a co-worker's constant badgering I only got to about episode 6 before stopping watching.

If I had reassurances that it gets better, I'd start watching again.
      sigpic
      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        It depends. I have no idea what you hated. In my personal opinion of what I liked and disliked about BSG it got worse. Their are many who would disagree however.
        It's hard to pinpoint exactly what I hated. With the DVD I hated the cinematography a lot. The way it was dark and gloomy and cut from scene to scene. Like SGU but 10x worse(In my opinion). That aspect seems to be getting better.

I also haven't really formed any attachment to the characters. I just don't really care if they live or die.
        I liked the humour of the original series and that seems to be lacking in the new one and the plot isn't engaging me much so far.

Comment

I would say no. The parts you disliked are very constant through out the show. Their is very little humor in the new series and BSG is be definition dark and gloomy
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I agree with Jel here, dark and gloomy, hardly any humour. I have watched it several times, and, i did enjoy some episodes, but, i have to say i was losing the will to live with quite a lot of the epis. I think it dragged on for far to long. And the only character i liked was Romo Lampkin.

I wouldnt really compare this with SGU, SGU was far superior.
            sigpic

Comment

The point of the new show is that it is a very realistic space opera. It's supposed to be dark and gloomy cos that's exactly how it would be if an entire civilization was wiped out with only a handful of survivors. So if that's what you didn't like it's safe to say you won't like the show.
              However having said that the characters are what make the show great. None of them are perfect and all of them have some major personal issues that need working through, but between that and the action of the series it's well worth following. In my view anyway. As I say, if that's not your thing then it doesn't really change. If anything it just gets darker.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

It boggles my mind that anyone could prefer the godawful 70s series over the RDM version....
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I liked the 70s version, got it on DVD the minute I saw it.

The reboot does get to be very, very good. I remember watching the first episode on DVD and, as it was 3 hours long, I found my mind wondering and getting a bit bored. Many shows tend to have slow pilots and sometimes slow first seasons but these shows usually find their legs and get really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Railgun View Post
                    It's hard to pinpoint exactly what I hated. With the DVD I hated the cinematography a lot. The way it was dark and gloomy and cut from scene to scene. Like SGU but 10x worse(In my opinion). That aspect seems to be getting better.

I also haven't really formed any attachment to the characters. I just don't really care if they live or die.
                    I liked the humour of the original series and that seems to be lacking in the new one and the plot isn't engaging me much so far.
                    I'd have to agree with Jelgate and pookey on this one too. I watched all four seasons, but it doesn't lighten up at all. I'd also have to say that in my opinion the last two seasons
                    Spoiler:
                    went on more of a religious and moral tangent and much of the fight/action aspect tapered off too, which I found disappointing. I think I mainly finished it because I didn't have much else to watch at the time (I watched on Netflix) and because I kept thinking that I'd eventually see what others seemed to see in it.
                    sigpic

Comment

It's a great series and i loved it absolutely, but if you're not liking the dark and gloomy...

Well the best you can do is plug in a season 2 DVD and check out if it's better, but i have strong doubts you'll like it.

Comment

I am a fan of the 70's BSG. Which I have on DVD.
                        I am also a fan of the BSG reboot. Owning all the seasons on DVD. And the movies Razor and The Plan.

And what I have to say is... The reboot is a bit like 'Marmite' you either love it or hate it.
                        There are some great episodes: 33 and The Hand of God to name a couple from season 1.
                        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                        To thy own self... Be true
                        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I liked the original series but i think it could have done with being a bit darker, it was too jokey.
                          The re-booted BSG is a bit darker, and i am getting into it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Railgun View Post
                            I was a massive fan of the original 70's films & series so was really excited when BSG got rebooted.
                            I rented the DVD and absolutely hated it. I switched off half way through. I just wasn't enjoying it.

Pick in the UK have just started showing a complete re-run of all of the new series and I have watched about 3 episodes. It's a bit better, but still not great.

So far it's just been a big disappointment. I'm not sure if I should just stop watching it or if it gets better later on?
                            No it goes down hill rapidly, if you don't like the pilot episode and the first season, which are the best bits of the entire show, then you not going to like the last 3 seasons, which are crap pile on top of more crap really. The last season is almost unwatchable.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              It boggles my mind that anyone could prefer the godawful 70s series over the RDM version....
                              I prefer RDM pilot and all of the 1st and most 2nd seasons, if he have maintain the same qualities as the pilot through the rest of the show, it would have went down as a great, sadly it didn't. But the mess that was the final 2 seasons ruin it all for me, season 2 is a pretty mixed bag as well, but at least there a few good episodes. An then you go back and watch season 1 and 2 and they aren't that enjoyable to watch, whilst the 70s versions I still find the episodes watchable and enjoyable.

Comment

Working...
                              X