Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is any of the technology in stargate possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is any of the technology in stargate possible?

Is any of the technology in stargate possible. I don't mean like the stargates itself but maybe something like the shuttles, FTL and more basic stuff (well FTL doesn't seem so basic , but you get my point.)Could we in fact in the next 100-200 years achieve interstellar travel ?

Originally posted by DarkstyleR View Post
    Is any of the technology in stargate possible. I don't mean like the stargates itself but maybe something like the shuttles, FTL and more basic stuff (well FTL doesn't seem so basic , but you get my point.)Could we in fact in the next 100-200 years achieve interstellar travel ?
    technically the Voyager probes achieved interstellar travel.

But the short answer is no.

Comment

What's the long answer?

It wasn't so long ago that powered flight was thought to be impossible.. and leaving the Earth's atmosphere was just a crazy fantasy..

Comment

In the short term, no, it's very unlikely we will see that level of advancement in our life times. Over the next 100/200+ years, who knows. It all depends who comes along in life, the next master scientist etc could be born tomorrow.

It's not impossible imo, but it's also something we more than likely won't witness in our life time.

Comment

Im not asking about in our life time. In the past 100 years we've advanced so much. Who knows how much we will advance in another 100 years. And who know how much in 200 or more (if we don't wipe ourselfs out). Just asking if you think that one day in the future humanity will be able to travel through the galaxy.

Comment

Im not asking about in our life time. In the past 100 years we've advanced so much. Who knows how much we will advance in another 100 years. And who know how much in 200 or more (if we don't wipe ourselfs out). Just asking if you think that one day in the future humanity will be able to travel through the galaxy.

Then yes. As I said, looking over the next few hundred years then anything is possible. It really depends what route humanity takes. We may (and unsurprisingly) become more focused on military advancements than actual exploration.

Comment

Hmm. I think that if we don't figure out something to solve our issues with global warming/power etc we might start trying to find recources on metours and/or planets and such. But the military would be so paranoid they would put weapons on the ships... Of course that is far in the future. Anyway what do you think the first major thing that will be invented will be ? Interstellar travel, some big gun, something to fix our power/oil problems ?

Comment

Hmm. I think that if we don't figure out something to solve our issues with global warming/power etc we might start trying to find recources on metours and/or planets and such. But the military would be so paranoid they would put weapons on the ships... Of course that is far in the future. Anyway what do you think the first major thing that will be invented will be ? Interstellar travel, some big gun, something to fix our power/oil problems ?

The trouble is a consumer race we often take what we can until it comes down to NEEDING to have an alternative, rather than think of an alternative before consuming everything.

New weapons are being developed literally every few years by various military's world wide, unmanned attack boats etc, so chances are that weapons or a weapon will be the first big advancement in that field. We are still a long way off any kind of interstellar travel, where as weapons are being upgraded,thought of, and produced on a yearly basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                  What's the long answer?

It wasn't so long ago that powered flight was thought to be impossible.. and leaving the Earth's atmosphere was just a crazy fantasy..
                  noooooooo

sorry couldn't resist it

Because a lot of things in the stargate universe make no sense in a realistic context. Plasma weapons, shields, hyperdrives, FTL, long-range communications, weather control devices, etc. Even manned space ships.

Our future is best extrapolated from our current point in time, and that future is full of robots, lasers, kinetic weapons & missiles, and a whole slew of digital warfare.

Plasma by it's nature isn't very good for weaponry. It might get used as a kind of hull armor cover, but bubbleshields you can forget. Same for fighter warfare. And the book on SG ship design is wrong on so many levels it's not funny.

Perhaps ironically, the more fringe technologies in Stargate seem to be more realistic. The Game Chairs, Galaran Memory Device, HUDs, brain implants, and replicators (not the nanites).

Comment

Weather control devices could be possible, but not like the touchstone. If a 'touchstone' was made it would just be a remote control and the interface wouldn't be that opaque. There would be lots of weird things about the planet and in the atmosphere which would control temperature and pressure to cause weird effects.

I don't think you'd be able to produce significant amounts of rain out of thin air (unless you can control evaporation on that scale) but I think it would be feasible in some aspects to be able to direct clouds and abate extreme weather phenomena to some extent eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
                      Weather control devices could be possible, but not like the touchstone. If a 'touchstone' was made it would just be a remote control and the interface wouldn't be that opaque. There would be lots of weird things about the planet and in the atmosphere which would control temperature and pressure to cause weird effects.

I don't think you'd be able to produce significant amounts of rain out of thin air (unless you can control evaporation on that scale) but I think it would be feasible in some aspects to be able to direct clouds and abate extreme weather phenomena to some extent eventually.
                      Weather control is possible. What i'm talking about is a weather control device, e.g. the touchstone or Thor's hammer from Avengers. Weather control amounts to dumping chemicals in the air.

Comment

We better forget interstellar travel at all. They say that this warp-drive might pull off some amazing speeds if it ever going to see the light of day. The main problem as many of us said is energy. I can't even fathom the amount of energy that is needed to "bend" space. If we somehow learn to harness the dark matter that they say makes up about 60-70% of our universe, then maybe a small chance would exist that humanity makes it to an other solar system. A very small.
                        If you asking today's technology, then no.
                        As to the question as a whole: Some technologies from sci-fi's already made it into existence, whether we know about them or not.
                        sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

I'll just leave this here.....................

http://theweek.com/article/index/253...tion-a-reality
                          sigpic
                          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Well, good luck with those plans. We'll see which those are actually going to work and which of those are just folly.
                            sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

I guess you could wear out your knees instead............
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                              X