What did Stargate mean to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did Stargate mean to you?

Bit of a weird question, I know lol, I couldn't really come up with a better title.

I can't remember how old I was when I first started watching Stargate, I was probably about 13? Rough guess, obviously understand it a lot better now though lol.

I can remember though that from watching it every week, a few episodes at a time from season 1 to the end, each episode I would I felt as though my bond to the characters grew as it did for them, plus depending on the episode there was everything else in between.

Was it like that for anyone else, the emotions and all?

It´s a cool thread and a good question.

I think Stargate was a big part of my everyday life. I watched it almost every week and I still miss the show, the actors and the dynamic of the cast, writers, producers... I can´t say that from a lot of other TV shows, maybe except Star Trek.

I think Stargate was in my opinion a show that also connected with it´s fans in a great way through all the actors and officials.

The best thing would be if the SGU story´would get a "real" ending.

In the end it all felt so rushed and unclosed.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by myhelix View Post
      It´s a cool thread and a good question.

I think Stargate was a big part of my everyday life. I watched it almost every week and I still miss the show, the actors and the dynamic of the cast, writers, producers... I can´t say that from a lot of other TV shows, maybe except Star Trek.

I think Stargate was in my opinion a show that also connected with it´s fans in a great way through all the actors and officials.

The best thing would be if the SGU story´would get a "real" ending.

In the end it all felt so rushed and unclosed.

Thank you .

I agree, I always felt that, for the type of show that it was, it still had a good connection with fans that were both old and young (or at least old enough to be able to understand the general idea lol).

I do miss it a lot, having the series on DVD even, it takes me back to when I was first watching it.

Comment

I'd never got so involved with a show as much as Stargate. I was hooked from the moment I came across it when idly channel surfing back in 1998. It was my weekly escape from the stress of work and running around after the kids. The family knew not to disturb me when Stargate came on.

Even when I moved from the UK to Canada I had to make sure which channel there aired Stargate to make sure I wouldn't miss it! At the time SG-1's season 9 started and Canada was 3 weeks behind the UK in showing it so I got to watch the first 3 episodes again. Such was my need for my weekly Stargate fix moving to another country would not get in the way!

SG-1 and SGU were my favourites, I loved the characters and their adventures in SG-1, the awe of exploration was ours as viewers to share. SGU whilst very different had more character drama and had such great potential with some great adventures as we followed the trials and triumphs of the motley crew of Destiny. I for one was sad it ended on the note of the prospect of so much more good stuff to come.

It lives on though for me too with watching the DVD's, and going to conventions and meeting the wonderful people who gave us such great entertainment.

Comment

Watching the DVD's always takes me back. In a way it's a bit depressing to,knowing that it's over and that if it were to have a reboot that we have some hope that some of the original cast will be back. All good things come to an end as they say, it's just a shame that it was planned for more and had to come to an end before season 11.

Comment

What did it mean?

An escape from the humdrum, a vehicle for telling stories that reflect us in a somewhat distorted view (good or bad)

A way to look at ourselves and our issues in a abstract view?

A way to make us think about things we may not think of in our normal lives?

Mostly though, it was fun.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

It was a good enough show for me to keep watching. It had an interesting premise. It was fun, and the first show that I really got into and bought DVD's of, and emerged myself into the fandom.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I've always enjoyed how a show can do that for people, get them emotionally involved.

Comment

what did stargate mean to me? it's more, what does it *still* mean to me.

it's a HUGE fantasy series for me, b/c it represents *so* much of what i want in my life, which is...

* I'd love to be sam carter!

* I'd love to be on sg1! or work at the sgc, b/c i'm too chicken to go through some of what the teams have went through, especially sg!

* I want jack!! (i'd have to give in, though, and let sam have him. i'll take mitchell or daniel )

it's really such a lovely *happy place* for me. for the past two years, my private life has taken a major downer and upheaval, so this happy place has become an even more important needful thing for me.

i'll never stop cherishing it, and i'll never stop wanting more.
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                    what did stargate mean to me? it's more, what does it *still* mean to me.

it's a HUGE fantasy series for me, b/c it represents *so* much of what i want in my life, which is...

* I'd love to be sam carter!

* I'd love to be on sg1! or work at the sgc, b/c i'm too chicken to go through some of what the teams have went through, especially sg!

* I want jack!! (i'd have to give in, though, and let sam have him. i'll take mitchell or daniel )

it's really such a lovely *happy place* for me. for the past two years, my private life has taken a major downer and upheaval, so this happy place has become an even more important needful thing for me.

i'll never stop cherishing it, and i'll never stop wanting more.

I have to admit that it's nice to find a forum like this with like minded people who enjoy the same things that I love about the show, it's a bit tedious when you have show much to say/share about the show in your own opinions, but nobody to do it with who enjoys it lol.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenSG1 View Post
                      I have to admit that it's nice to find a forum like this with like minded people who enjoy the same things that I love about the show, it's a bit tedious when you have show much to say/share about the show in your own opinions, but nobody to do it with who enjoys it lol.
                      I hear you! I thought at times I was the only one around that loved this show! Whenever I mention Stargate to anyone I meet in discussions about what we like watching they either don't know what it is or have a vague idea. I still wait to meet someone at work or socially who lives close to me that is as nuts about Stargate as me.

Joining GW opened up a whole new world, a bunch of people who are as crazy about this show as I am that you could talk Stargate and even more Stargate with!!! I could never have imagined getting a chance to celebrate my love of the show with the actors and behind the scenes people as I did over the years when I first started watching. It's all thanks to GW and the great people I've met from the forum over the years.

What I really like is how there are new people appearing on the forum on a regular basis which shows the love for Stargate is really out there. It continues to be discovered by people who find they are hooked and have to talk about it too! Such is the power of Stargate!

Comment

Where do I start?

1. It had this energy to it!

2. The characters were relatable.

3. It provided role models to my teenage self.

4. It provided smiles.

5. The fandom provided my first online friends.

It was basically a positive constant in my life from when I was in my late teens to my late 20s!
                        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Endless hours of the finest cinic humor, courtesy of RDA. A detachment from real world and all the problems of every day life. An optimistic view of the possible future. It had major fairy tale elements, but if you discount those, it was fairly accurate I think.
                          Also, and it's just my opinion, we are alone in the universe and Stargate filled that hole with it's own variety of species, and they were most of the time believable to me.
                          sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

As a rule of thumb, binge watching is the best way to completely immserse your self in a series... i remember shows like the wire and the deadwood, which left me in a mess when i finished with them as i thought my world has ended... i watched stargate 2 years ago in a huge binge watch of 3 weeks non stop and i feel like i am trapped in this fantasy world now... i cannot live without the addiction that is stargate and i rewatch it about every couple of months by watching the good episodes and skimming through the avg ones. The bond gets really deep....

Comment

Excitement
                              Entertainment
                              Fun
                              R&R

Bought the DVDs to bring those feelings back from time to time.
                              CARPE DIEM
                              ANJA

Comment

Working...
                              X