Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could Stargate SG1 have gone on longer?

Hey guys,

New on here, so hello to all of you first of all, huge Stargate fan (more so SG1) and sci-fi in general, Star Trek etc.

In your own opinions, do you think that SG1 could have gone on longer than it did with roughly the same cast? While I was OK with the ending, I think I was more disappointed that,that was it, there was no more. With Don's (RIP) health at the time, and Richard wanting to spend more time with his daughter (although still reoccurring), even with the cast growing as it did, I felt that there was still a few more story lines that could have been held before or after the final episode's ending.

Originally posted by StevenSG1 View Post
    Hey guys,

New on here, so hello to all of you first of all, huge Stargate fan (more so SG1) and sci-fi in general, Star Trek etc.

In your own opinions, do you think that SG1 could have gone on longer than it did with roughly the same cast? While I was OK with the ending, I think I was more disappointed that,that was it, there was no more. With Don's (RIP) health at the time, and Richard wanting to spend more time with his daughter (although still reoccurring), even with the cast growing as it did, I felt that there was still a few more story lines that could have been held before or after the final episode's ending.
    i think it could have gone on, but i think it needed new ppl writing/producing it to give it the chance of continuing *and* thriving.
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Maybe a year or two, but not much longer. A decade is quite rare for television
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

I think it was initially moving in the right direction (with new cast members coming in) and possibly series 10's story plot for the most part could have been delayed until, well we'll say season 11 assuming it had gone on, or it had been changed to have been integrated a bit differently.

I think I still a feel a bit underwhelmed/empty at the season finale lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          Maybe a year or two, but not much longer. A decade is quite rare for television
          I think with the following that certain shows have, Stargate,Star Trek in particular for Sci Fi, that (like you said) had the potential for maybe another year. 10 years is a long time, but when the fan base has grown probably more than what was predicted, I don't think that it has to feel like it's being dragged on a bit.

Comment

i bet if the powers-that-be could have just concentrated on sg1 alone, it would have been *fantastic*...

i think trying to do two shows at once (plus possibly coming up with sgu and writing the movies)... it just took it toll i think.
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
              i bet if the powers-that-be could have just concentrated on sg1 alone, it would have been *fantastic*...

i think trying to do two shows at once (plus possibly coming up with sgu and writing the movies)... it just took it toll i think.
              I agree with that assement. I found SG1 S8 to be poor while SGA S1 was great. I loved the Ori years but was bored with what Atlantis did after The Siege. The shows were better when one show was airing. Its also why I did not make a big deal when Atlantis was cancelled because two shows at once brough inferior quality IMO.
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                I agree with that assement. I found SG1 S8 to be poor while SGA S1 was great. I loved the Ori years but was bored with what Atlantis did after The Siege. The shows were better when one show was airing. Its also why I did not make a big deal when Atlantis was cancelled because two shows at once brough inferior quality IMO.

Agree. You never really get the same quality of show when its being split down the middle. Concentrate on one to get the perfect ending, then you can go with the other. It just feels like your throwing scraps at both and hoping for the best.

Comment

Yes it could of gone on but writers etc needed to change, I've been saying as much for years.

Year 1
                  Writer one
                  Writer two
                  Last 2/3 episodes W3 comes on

Year 2 W1, W2, W3, W1 leaves after end of ep2/fall out from Y1.
                  then W2 and W3 carry one, end of Y2 W4 comes on board and so on...

Comment

If MGM wouldn't pull the plug on SG-1 after 10 seasons, I think SG-1 could have been around for 2 more seasons. I'm assuming one could be used to finish up the Ori storyline and one to finish up the Baal clones storyline. They would basically be what we got with Ark of Truth and Continuum, only longer and perhaps with more character development and background story.

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
                      If MGM wouldn't pull the plug on SG-1 after 10 seasons, I think SG-1 could have been around for 2 more seasons. I'm assuming one could be used to finish up the Ori storyline and one to finish up the Baal clones storyline. They would basically be what we got with Ark of Truth and Continuum, only longer and perhaps with more character development and background story.

I think it still had at least a season left in it. To be fair, there were quite a few loose ends from even the first few seasons. We never learned what happened to the likes of Chaka, there weren't any more plots that involved the Reetou despite Salmak warning SG1 that they would try to attack again.

Comment

I would of liked to see the Ori beaten in proper fashion, something that didnt require the big bang that ended up killing one of our greatest allies and us suddenly taking hold of a crap load of tech we had no right in having.
                        The Baal clone thing, that could of had episodes in the same series as the Ori arc without having negative effects, in fact Baal could try and benefit/help/get in the way somewhere along the line, would exactly be out of character...

Comment

I always felt that the last handful of episodes felt rushed and were just bundled together to come to an ending. I would ASSUME at that point they probably had an inclination that the show was going to be cancelled, and they were just waiting for the word, so something that could have been spread out into another season, was rushed.

Comment

Yup, although saying that its been in the writers minds since about season6, they would write bits incase they were cancelled to wrap things up, sorry state of affairs tbh

Comment

It's a shame it wasn't continued in the form of novels or graphic novels, even direct to DVD tbh.

Comment

Working...
                              X