Eli focus over rush..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eli focus over rush..?

Is it me, or did they seem to spend a lot more time hamming up how 'great' eli is over rush, especially after the Greater good till gauntlet. It seems to me that it went from prior to that rush was better at nearly everything to do with the ship over eli, to rush practically being a 2nd fiddle to the godlike mind of eli.

I'm not sure, but it seems to me it was just a question of time. Several people said at different occasions in the show, how smart Eli is, and that he's actually smarter than Rush. But Eli just needed more time to learn more about the alien technology. And since Rush is not an idiot either he still is a few years ahead.
    sigpic

Comment

I always thought Rush was supposed to be Eli's mentor, and he was, even if a rather reluctant one.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
        I always thought Rush was supposed to be Eli's mentor, and he was, even if a rather reluctant one.
        I thought this too. Rush was reluctant for sure, he was certainly pissed off that he'd spent two years of his life working on the ninth chevron puzzle and Eli comes along and solves it in a month in a computer game.

I think he never got over this and I guess they focused on Eli to show the different ways he and Rush approached problems. This is why we got a lot of Rush initially to find out what drove him and then see how things changed as Eli gained the confidence to express his intellect.

We began to see more of Eli as the foil to Rush's approach to things. Eli was the natural and seemed to see into problems more intuitively than Rush. Rush preferred to study them cautiously from every angle. The focus on Eli also served to highlight Rush's arrogance in that he felt he was the only one who could really be trusted with Destiny's secrets and overall operation.

As Eli's knowledge grew it seemed to force Rush to eat 'humble pie' more often and that's got to make Rush more cranky! This in turn made him take out his frustrations on Young to add to the drama!

It was the subtle interplay of personalities that I enjoyed watching on SGU. How the focus shifted to add more layers to the dynamic of the relationships between the reluctant denizens of Destiny.

Comment

So if we DID get a third season (and beyond) how do you see them handling it? Would Eli have totally replaced rush as the go to guy for anything, or would rush still have had a 'role'?

Comment

In the end of season 2, it's clear that Rush has accepted Eli's great talent over his great obsession and has even become 'part of the family'.
            What I would've loved to see is Eli become arrogant out of his abilities, thus forcing Rush to ground him in reality.
            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              Is it me, or did they seem to spend a lot more time hamming up how 'great' eli is over rush, especially after the Greater good till gauntlet. It seems to me that it went from prior to that rush was better at nearly everything to do with the ship over eli, to rush practically being a 2nd fiddle to the godlike mind of eli.
              I don't know if I'd say it is that extreme, but they did eventually build Eli up from just potential to realized potential, in a way supplanting Rush.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              So if we DID get a third season (and beyond) how do you see them handling it? Would Eli have totally replaced rush as the go to guy for anything, or would rush still have had a 'role'?
              If the series had continued, I think the most likely course is that Rush and Eli would've collaborated with Brody, Volker and Park for support and they most likely would've brought Destiny close to full operational capacity, if not completely.

Eli's confidence very well could have evolved into arrogance, which could then have been tempered by just about anyone: Rush, Young, Scott, AI Ginn, T.J., Chloe... who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post

Eli's confidence very well could have evolved into arrogance, which could then have been tempered by just about anyone: Rush, Young, Scott, AI Ginn, T.J., Chloe... who knows.
                I'd bet Greer would be the one to smack some sense into him. That's pretty much his role in the series.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X