Doctor Who intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doctor Who intro

What do you think have been the best and worst ways to open a Doctor Who episode?

I love the Matt Smith version with the mysterious music and the stormy cloud-tunnel.
    In fact, all of the new series intros(starting with the telemovie) have been pretty epic.

But my least favourite one was definitely the original McCoy intro. The music sounded like someone was sticking a sonic screwdriver into your head and the title looked bizarre.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Yeah the McCoy era was kinda half neat half crap. Them trying to use the primitive CGI of the time to spice of the intro was neat but the synthesizer music was rather lame. Sounded like something you could make at home on you electric keyboard.
    I like Sharky
    sigpic

Comment

Hard to choose.

I LOVE the 5th Doctor, his electronic tune is frankly awesome, not so keen on the logo - but I love the expanse of space that they use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xvd4SBWxcw

The 8th Doctor's intro, however, will forever be one of my favourites - not least because it has THE best logo the series has ever had, but a truely epic version of the theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qureO-cp_4

And lastly, my other all time favourite is the latest 11th Doctor intro, due - in no small part - to it's excellent retro references:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGbsNIZ-uo

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

For me, it's hard to top the "starfield" (1980-83) version, as it was "my" era... The music was the first proper remaking of the theme, and the title sequence, which I'd crazily always assumed to have been CGI, was in fact purely optical! (Black cardboard, with a pin prick poked through to allow 1 dot of light, moved towards/away from the camera... Then another piece of card, with another pin hole... etc etc layered over and over to generate the entire sequence... OMG how long must that have taken!)

Colin Baker's just sucked (for me) because it was "just" the original starfield, but with some pretty awful colour added...

McCoys, on a technical level, is indeed pretty spiffy... though the silver face just doesn't look great... And yes, the music sucks. Apparently both the Trial of a Timelord theme music and McCoy's music were written/composed in a VERY short space of time... as opposed to Peter Howell's time span to do his 1980 recreation... but that doesn't really make them sound any better.

McGann's telemovie titles ultimately disappoint me, because the theme music as I first heard it was lovely, but then the aired version has a monologue over the top of the start of it, then has all those crappy meteorite sounds, and whooshing credits... Years ago I re-created it with the "clean" music track, and IMO it's much more enjoyable... (Though I had to remove it from YT due to copyright infringement - fancy that).

None of the modern WHO versions have impressed me until this year's spacey version. I can't watch them now (any of them) without the word "colonoscopy" coming to mind... But the latest finally gives us a truly new take on the title sequence... and returns the Doctor's face to the credits for the first time since 1989...
        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

Comment

I like the intro from the '70s, don't know which season it's from. But the doctor is in the middle of the screen and have that awesome look on his face. I find it hilarious, I think that one is the best intro ever.

Comment

So, now we have our new intro, inspired by a fan.

I kinda like it, it's certainly something new, but the music will take time to get used to. I know they were going for an 80s theme, but it feels like they got it mixed up with the 70s. It sounds... weird.

Shame they didn't use the fob-watch, I really liked that part of the fan intro.
            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
            X