Big Finish Audio Dramas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Finish Audio Dramas

Anyone else a fan of the Doctor Who audio dramas by Big Finish?

I've been gradually working my way through the 8th Doctor audio dramas (just coming to the end of the Charley and C'Rizz arc).

I've also had the joy of listening to the UNIT dramas, a fantastic spin off - bookended with guest appearances by the legend that was Nicholas Courtney.

I will say this though, one of the best I've listened to so far is "Terror Firma" a fantastic direct sequel to "Remembrance of the Daleks" - the classic series' last proper Dalek episode... I'd highly recommend it to anyway! - http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/qu...rror-firma-238

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

I've only just started on audio dramas.

I've listened to Demon Crest 1: The Relics of Time, that I got from Audio Go. That one is the 4th Doctor and Mrs Wibsey (played by Louise Jameson but she doesn't sound like Leela at all). From Big Finish I've got Dark Eyes and Blood of the Daleks. Both 8th Doctor and both excellent, though Dark Eyes was my favourite, very atmospheric, as it is set during WW1.

I do have another three yet to listen to that I got for my birthday - The Auntie Matter (4th Doctor & Romana I), Phantoms of the Deep (4th Doctor & Romana I) & Energy of the Daleks (4th Doctor and Leela). I haven't got round to listening to those yet as at the moment I'm steadily working my way through the Blake's 7 Liberator Chronicles.

Hopefully Santa will bring me some more audios this Christmas. On my wish list are Castle of Fear, The Eternal Summer and Plague of the Daleks (5th Doctor & Nyssa). I also fancy some of the Lost Stories.

Something else I really liked (that isn't drama) is Toby Hadoke's Moths Ate my Doctor Who Scarf, which is about fandom and his lifelong obsession with DW. It's fun & I recommend it.

Comment

Are there any audio dramas based on the 9th or 10th Doctors?
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Not that I recall. Not dramas. There are audio books, sometimes read by the likes of David Tennant or Catherine Tate, eg http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-D...s=tenth+doctor

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
          Are there any audio dramas based on the 9th or 10th Doctors?
          No - Big Finish have not, as yet, acquired the licencing rights to create 9, 10 or 11th Doctor audio plays. And frankly, Ecclestone being the way he is, I can't see him doing any *grumbles about how he should have known what he was signing up for* bloody Prima Donna... (despite the fact that I Love his Doctor...)

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
          I've only just started on audio dramas.

I've listened to Demon Crest 1: The Relics of Time, that I got from Audio Go. That one is the 4th Doctor and Mrs Wibsey (played by Louise Jameson but she doesn't sound like Leela at all). From Big Finish I've got Dark Eyes and Blood of the Daleks. Both 8th Doctor and both excellent, though Dark Eyes was my favourite, very atmospheric, as it is set during WW1.

I do have another three yet to listen to that I got for my birthday - The Auntie Matter (4th Doctor & Romana I), Phantoms of the Deep (4th Doctor & Romana I) & Energy of the Daleks (4th Doctor and Leela). I haven't got round to listening to those yet as at the moment I'm steadily working my way through the Blake's 7 Liberator Chronicles.

Hopefully Santa will bring me some more audios this Christmas. On my wish list are Castle of Fear, The Eternal Summer and Plague of the Daleks (5th Doctor & Nyssa). I also fancy some of the Lost Stories.

Something else I really liked (that isn't drama) is Toby Hadoke's Moths Ate my Doctor Who Scarf, which is about fandom and his lifelong obsession with DW. It's fun & I recommend it.
          I cannot wait till I get to Dark Eyes - really looking forward to it, and seeing what Eight's new image is like (though I'm a little sad that he'll lose his Movie charm...). What did you think to Blood of the Daleks? I've just listened to it, and whilst I liked the plot - I'm not impressed by Lucy Millar... maybe I'm more of a snob than I thought (not financially, just personality wise), but she just annoys me so bloody much - particularly the scene where she tried to make herself more of a candidate for an early rescue - if you get me....

These audios out here in the desert have been a life saver, I can just about download one whole audio drama from Big Finish in a day if I leave my netbook running whilst out of the accomodation. I've spent FAR too much money on them - given they're quite expensive! Having just made the jump from Eight's 'Monthly Audio Dramas' to the specific 'Eighth Doctor Adventures', I feel a little short changed that they seem to have shorted somewhat and moved away from the lengthier classic episode style format...

Soon as I've finished the Eighth Doctor audios, I'm really looking forward to some of the spin offs - namely Counter-Measures, Gallifrey, and Dalek Empire! I can wait with regard to other Doctor audios - (I have the remaining classic DVDs that I've not yet watched that I ordered, waiting for me at home for when I return in November), but the spin offs are so intriguing!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I've yet to try the Doctor Who Audio dramas from Big Finish.
            But I do have 'Vienna' which is a spin off.
            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
            To thy own self... Be true
            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I have been tempted to give them a shot but they are kind of expensive and I am trying to get as many of the Classic Series DVD's before they all hit collectors prices.
              I like Sharky
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, that's what I did - just got all the classic DVDs up till release date, so I've moved onto audios!

I've fallen in love with them, coming to the end of the 8th & Lucie series, and they're SO good! Also, just listened to "An Earthly Child", a really good reunion between Susan and the Doctor...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I've been working my way through the Eighth Doctor audio dramas lately. Bit of a retro experience, like sitting in front of a radio for an hour or two at a time. They're really very good though. I didn't know what to expect going in, but they're well-written and generally well-acted as well. I'm closing in on the end of the Charley/C'rizz stories; will be sad to see him go, but boooooy am I ever tired of Charley! If I have to hear "Charlotte, Charlotte Pollard--CHARLEY to my friends" too many more times I might break something

Whenever I finish the McGann stuff, I might dive into the McCoy stuff. Or maybe the Dalek Empire stories. Not sure

I'm sure there's at least one or two others on here who've checked these out....favourites? Comments? Discussions? Recommendations?
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I've only just started listening to DW audio's myself Digi, so I'm not really the best person to comment. But of the few that I have listened to my absolute favourite is Dark Eyes with the Eighth Doctor and a new companion Molly O'Sullivan (see sig!). It starts off in the trenches during WW1 where the Doctor, during various adventures, picks up a new companion in Irish nurse Molly and ditches his old clothes.

I got quite a few audios with the 8th Doctor & Lucie Miller for Christmas but I haven't had time to listen to those yet.

Edit - Flyboy started a thread on the same topic - http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...h-Audio-Dramas. Don't know if you want to combine the two threads?
                    Last edited by Blencathra; 05 January 2014, 03:01 AM.

Comment

I've only just started listening to DW audio's myself Digi, so I'm not really the best person to comment. But of the few that I have listened to my absolute favourite is Dark Eyes with the Eighth Doctor and a new companion Molly O'Sullivan (see sig!). It starts off in the trenches during WW1 where the Doctor, during various adventures, picks up a new companion in Irish nurse Molly and ditches his old clothes.
                      I am very much looking forward to Dark Eyes! The premise is really interesting, new companion, etc. Plus new look for the Doctor, which might sound ridiculous for an audio drama, but it affects how I visualize things in my head

Edit - Flyboy started a thread on the same topic - http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...h-Audio-Dramas. Don't know if you want to combine the two threads?
                      Ah, good call. Didn't see it, requested merge
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        I've been working my way through the Eighth Doctor audio dramas lately. Bit of a retro experience, like sitting in front of a radio for an hour or two at a time. They're really very good though. I didn't know what to expect going in, but they're well-written and generally well-acted as well. I'm closing in on the end of the Charley/C'rizz stories; will be sad to see him go, but boooooy am I ever tired of Charley! If I have to hear "Charlotte, Charlotte Pollard--CHARLEY to my friends" too many more times I might break something

Whenever I finish the McGann stuff, I might dive into the McCoy stuff. Or maybe the Dalek Empire stories. Not sure

I'm sure there's at least one or two others on here who've checked these out....favourites? Comments? Discussions? Recommendations?
                        I know you mean about Miss Pollard. I thought she was alright up until they -

Spoiler:

entered into the divergent universe

then she became just quite annoying, and rather clingy to the Doctor... When she eventually departs and is replaced by Lucie, it really is a refreshing change.

I've listened to a heck of a lot of BF since starting this thread.

I'd whole heartedly recommend the UNIT mini series (starting with the short - "The Coup" - only available from the BF website, free download though). Dalek Empire is also exceptional and I would definitely suggest it to anyone, but the first series is the strongest.

Otherwise, to be honest - the Monthly Range is great. I went back to the first one and started working my way through and they're exceptional, especially the McCoy ones. Ace gets some fantastic character development. Although beware, whilst most follow on in chronological order for McCoy - every now and then there's a Bernice Summerfield story which is set much further into the Doctor and Ace's timeline...

You should also check out 'The Light at the End', the 50th Anniversary audio...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                          I know you mean about Miss Pollard. I thought she was alright up until they -

Spoiler:

entered into the divergent universe

then she became just quite annoying, and rather clingy to the Doctor...
                          Agreed. I'm not sure exactly what it was that changed, but I think you might be on to something with the 'clingy' observation. She also seems to have gotten a lot more....I don't know, shrieky, somehow.

I'd whole heartedly recommend the UNIT mini series (starting with the short - "The Coup" - only available from the BF website, free download though).
                          What's the setting of the UNIT series? I gather it's Doctor-lite/less and Earthbound, but does it specify a time period or is it typically 'UNIT vague'? Does it tie into any other story arcs?

Dalek Empire is also exceptional and I would definitely suggest it to anyone, but the first series is the strongest.
                          Aha, great to hear! I'm working my way through the Eighth Doctor range, but I've also been slowly doing a rewatch of episodes from the timeline perspective of the Daleks (as best I can reason it). I think I may incorporate Dalek Empire into that...I guess probably fairly close to the end of the classic era/pre-Time War Daleks.

Comment

Also, I didn't realize till I 'researched' Blen's sig that there were going to be three more Dark Eyes series. Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              Also, I didn't realize till I 'researched' Blen's sig that there were going to be three more Dark Eyes series. Awesome
                              LOL, glad to help.

If you are interested in getting Dark Eyes 2 from Big Finish, both CDs and downloads are heavily discounted if you pre-order. So for the first Dark Eyes it's £40 for the CD or £35 for the download but if you pre-order Dark Eyes 2 it is £20.

Comment

Working...
                              X