Jump Coordinates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jump Coordinates

I've often wondered, if all the ships are given the same jump coordinates, why dont they smash into each other after a jump?
    They are all jumping to the same place after all.

Originally posted by gashead View Post
    I've often wondered, if all the ships are given the same jump coordinates, why dont they smash into each other after a jump?
    They are all jumping to the same place after all.

seriously?

they're not coordinates, they're directions.

Comment

It's relative to their current positions, I believe.
      sigpic

Comment

I think Chris is correct and so is thekillman, they are co-ordinates for them all to meet and the ships adjust them to their relative position, or they would all end up in a heap
        sigpic

Comment

I agree, each vessel adjusts the coordinates/directions relative to their own position in the fleet/formation before each jump.
          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
          To thy own self... Be true
          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Another possibility is that the jump drives just aren't that accurate. Even if you all aim at the same co-ordinates you don't all appear at them exactly.
            sigpic
            Banner By JME2

Comment

It would have to be a very very narrow margin, as they might have ended up inside each other, double decker Galactica would have looked a tad weird, there was quite a distance between them, because of the mess a jump drive would cause when in close proximity, as what did happen when, was it a raptor with Sharon in?, spooled up next to Galactica.
              sigpic

Comment

And if I remember correctly. A Raptor came out of it's jump and 'appeared' in the center of a mountain on Kobol.

Comment

Yes it did, so accuracy is important
                  sigpic

Comment

As was said in another 'franchise' making a jump isn't like dusting crops.

I am sure the 'navigators' make slight allowances when they calculate any jump co-ordinates.
                    Taking the X,Y,Z axies into consideration. And allow for correct distancing between vessels.

Comment

Yes, or i could see a Transformers version of the Galactica being sold
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

seriously?

they're not coordinates, they're directions.

Wrong.

Comment

When Han Solo says "Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"..."

It doesn't work like that. People don't understand the sizes and distances involved. If you were to shrink the milky way galaxy down to the scale where was the sun was the size of a basketball the nearest star to the sun would still be 6,000 miles away. That's the distance between New York and Rome.

You could drop 3 or 4 basket balls at random in Canada. Drop 1 more at random...what's the chance the last ball will hit one of the balls already there?

And yes. I am drinking heavily tonight.

Comment

Working...
                          X