This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Anyone thought about a Stargate Kickstarter

Has anyone attached to stargate approched MGM about doing a Kickstarter for SG1 or Atlantis movie? If veronica mars can do it, i would think Stargate fans could!

Yes many people have. In fact, there's a thread about it, like, 10 topics below this one.

Comment

Yes, they have. Several times, in fact.

Veronica Mars doesn't need sets, while Stargate does. That alone is a Kickstarter-killer.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
        Yes, they have. Several times, in fact.

Veronica Mars doesn't need sets, while Stargate does. That alone is a Kickstarter-killer.
        using green screen a lot, or using the red camera (like sanctuary did) could save a lot of money. just saying...
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Good idea.

Comment

I think Sanctuary would more likely work on Kickstarter than Stargate
            Currently Watching: Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis
            Planning to watch: Dark Angel, Star Trek Enterprise and many more

Comment

Originally posted by myowndrownedworld View Post
              I think Sanctuary would more likely work on Kickstarter than Stargate
              Indeed, because really all they need is a green screen, a few props, and the actors. Very little location shooting.

BUT...Sanctuary, even though it wasn't planned that way, had a pretty darn good finale. Not sure how I'd feel about it coming back on a limited basis.
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah i know what you mean. Although i think Sanctuary would work as perhaps as a one-off movie or something. Mainly because i would love to see a resolution regarding John Druitt, which for me was the only story not resolved. Amanda herself said she would want that to be concluded.
                Currently Watching: Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis
                Planning to watch: Dark Angel, Star Trek Enterprise and many more

Comment

i'll stick with a stargate kickstarter.

would be nice of the ptb started if off...
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Yes, and no.
                    Can't really try to kick-start a Stargate project without the danger of being attacked by a "rogue unit" of MGM lawyers. Any attempt to produce any material or use their title, etc., will cause an "automatic meltdown alarm" and send them screaming to a judge to block anything and everything you attempt.

However, an oblique approach might be possible. This is now something I'm exploring.
                    The key is to catch their attention, prove you can deliver something credible, another project non-Stargate, then when they're willing to listen, pitch the Stargate show and low-risk business model I've drawn up.

No idea if this approach will work, but worth the effort.

It will take me a while to see if there's any interest in this.

Occasional writer, fledgling film/TV producer with ambitions to launch a bold new vision for a Stargate TV series,
                    once I've raised the seed funding and credibility to attract Warner's attention.
                    sigpic

Comment

Majorsal,

Thanks for the private message, but as newbie around here I'm still trying to find my way around so can't keep you up-to-date on progress privately, and posting here would be deemed spamming or something of the sort.

Good responses on the facebook pages but not much carry-over to the kickstarter side just yet.

Remember I'm not directly promoting a Stargate series (huge legal issues), just a precursor to prove my capability to MGM and maybe get them into position where they will be prepared to discuss my plans for the new concept.
                      Occasional writer, fledgling film/TV producer with ambitions to launch a bold new vision for a Stargate TV series,
                      once I've raised the seed funding and credibility to attract Warner's attention.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by worldmaker View Post
                        Majorsal,

Thanks for the private message, but as newbie around here I'm still trying to find my way around so can't keep you up-to-date on progress privately, and posting here would be deemed spamming or something of the sort.

Good responses on the facebook pages but not much carry-over to the kickstarter side just yet.

Remember I'm not directly promoting a Stargate series (huge legal issues), just a precursor to prove my capability to MGM and maybe get them into position where they will be prepared to discuss my plans for the new concept.
                        if you can't update here, where/how are we to find out?
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Yes, it's a tricky one, so I've taken a few hours to create a facebook page: search for "Stargate-X" where I can post any news, progress, thoughts as and when they occur.

This will I hope stop me from being accused of spamming this or other fora with my progress reports and whatnot.

Of course at the moment there's little progress, although Roland Emmerich did post a survey on his facebook page yesterday asking about another SG film and I posted back a couple of comments, including a suggestion for an ultra-low alternative SG film: "Stargate Fall".
                          sigpic

Comment

Okay,

Sorry for the delay in posting any news.

Firstly, as you've probably guessed by now, the HellWorld Kickstarter appeal failed miserably, with a single pledge for that project.

Secondly, I spent time October/November polishing an old film script WOODLAND about UFO abductions and got that out to one agent in the states in case I can do anything with that, IF his principal is prepared to endorse that project as a means of kicking up my profile and resources.

Thirdly, I spent the last two months cleaning! Cleaning up my computers, updating my design applications (see the Rumbler Sport Tank if you want a sample of my engineering designs) and clearing a 5-year backlog of paperwork, filing and notes.

That backlog is just about finished and I'll soon be focussing my attention on the Rumbler. This, if successful, will bring in the cash volumes I need for Stargate-X and the related ambitions for new studio productions.

I'll try to keep you all up-dated here and on Facebook as and when I can.

Be patient, it takes time to raise millions.

sigpic

Comment

Star Trek: Renegades is a fan film that is funded via Kickstarter (I thing they raised about 300,000), and is going to be pitched to CBS as the pilot of a new Star Trek series. I see no reason why it would be impossible to do the same thing for Stargate.

Comment

Working...
                              X