A sad realization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
    For SGA and SGU - it will have to be a new cast if MGM ever reconsiders to bring either or both of those two series back in any shape or form. Too much time has passed for those guys to come back and reprise their roles. For SGA, it would simply be stated that the original Atlantis expedition chose to continue living a peaceful life, so a new Atlantis expedition is sent trough the Pegasus gate to Atlantis to complete some unfinished business. For SGU - the continuation could be just set in a distant future and Earth could send the children or grandchildren of the Destiny's crew back to the ship or something... They fix it with their advanced technology, thus enabling the ship to finally complete its mission and afterwards, they would just gate back home.
    Are you referring to the actors or the characters? Regarding the actors, considering Joe Flanigan continues to plead with fans to campaign to resurrect Atlantis, I would say he's willing to return...

David Hewlett is a huge fan of the franchise. With the exception of Jason Momoa, who is exceptionally busy, I would be shocked if any of the main cast wouldn't return. Even Momoa I'd say is likely to at least put in an appearance considering Joe F is his real life best friend...

The only two I've heard say they wouldn't be interested in coming back are Kavan Smith (Major Lorne) and Torri Higginson (Dr. Weir), and even with them, they said if given a juicy storyline they'd love to come back--just not interested in maintaining the status quo.

Stargate Universe on the other hand is dead. Carlyle has returned to higher-profile work, as has Ming-Na.

Realistically, I disagree with even Joe Mallozzi. I think a cinematic reboot is the only thing that could resurrect the TV franchise. Look at that news about about a Commissioner Gordon TV series, it won't share continuity with the Batman film franchise, but the network wants to capitalize on the overall brand's name.

If a 2015 $200m blockbuster was floating the Stargate name, I could easily see MGM gambling $10-15m on a SG-1/Atlantis miniseries or DVD movie taking off too.
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Comment

I was referring to both actors and characters. I was unaware that most of the SGA main cast would be willing to return, even if it's just for 1-2 movies or a miniseries to wrap up the series. I'm currently re-watching SG-1 and Atlantis (I'm watching the two back-to-back) and it's nice to know that most of the Atlantis guys would be willing to return.

Also, it's not completely possible that SGU is dead. Guntlet had everyone go into staisis. So if Malozzi's "million years in the future" scenario is used, we could eaily have a new crew aboard Destiny, potrayed by a completely new cast, who are characters with the personalities from the original crew. As for the original characters - it would simply be stated that Eli has failed fixing the last stasis pod, the ship eventually ran out of air, Eli could't risk them getting caught by the drones, he eventually died and all systems failed in the end, eventually killing the entire crew in stasis. Then, a milion years later, a new crew gets the ship up and running again, thus, enabling Destiny to complete its mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
        The only two I've heard say they wouldn't be interested in coming back are Kavan Smith (Major Lorne) and Torri Higginson (Dr. Weir), and even with them, they said if given a juicy storyline they'd love to come back--just not interested in maintaining the status quo.
        I never knew that about Kavan Smith. Although I'm not surprised, he's been very vocal about the way his character (and most recurring characters) were treated, and how he was always hoping for more screentime. Can't blame him either; his character was the 2nd ranking officer, they should've done more with him.

Comment

Originally posted by YceQueen View Post
          I never knew that about Kavan Smith. Although I'm not surprised, he's been very vocal about the way his character (and most recurring characters) were treated, and how he was always hoping for more screentime. Can't blame him either; his character was the 2nd ranking officer, they should've done more with him.
          Yeah, he gave a surprisingly honest interview at the end of his audiodrama with Big Finish. The fans of his on here gave the drama itself a stellar review. In my opinion, it was a bit over the top story-wise, even for Stargate. They really twisted everything into knots to randomly make Lorne's painting abilities into the core of the plot.

I did enjoy it though, and find Kavan & Lorne very likable.
          sigpic
          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
          ~David Hewlett

Comment

Working...
          X