This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
    I guess many mainstream cinema goers would go and see a movie made by Emmerich regardless, not really bothering about what came before as far as Stargate is concerned. I think their view is formed by all of his work since Independence Day anyway, and most will not know about the TV series.

It's just a new action/adventure movie in the mind of the mainstream casual cinema goer, that's all! For many Stargate fans I think it will be interesting to see how Emmerich envisions a continuation, whether it is a successful reboot or not. Love or hate the idea of what he may do, as Stargate fans we would still watch it because.........it's Stargate, come on....you know it's true!
    you make a pretty big assumption RE is not the well known director that people flock to see his movies he's no Steven Spielberg or James Cameron or other well known director/ writer there have been many flops in the scifi/fantasy genre only ones that really make it usually have a book series or comic book following SG fanbase is us the tv franchise not the original movie.
    sigpic
    My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
      you make a pretty big assumption RE is not the well known director that people flock to see his movies
      But he is a spectacle film maker, which they do go and see...

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
        To be honest, I think space sci-fi is out of fashion now. Then again, it pretty much was when GR rebooted ST as ST:TNG
        That's what I thought about zombie/horror movies after Resident Evil 3 and look at where we are now. After countless zombie movies and games people still eating it up like candy. You would think that they get jaded by now, but no, brain eating zombies are still among the top 5 money making titles.
        Space is endless, so are the waves of zombies that come running, limping, crawling and clawing at your face. Only when these kind of films outnumber the stars or the zombies will they stop making movies about them. You will go to see the 10 millionth sci-fi and the next and the next...until the day you die if you're a sci-fi fan. People are curious.
        The only thing they can choose is the genre and quality of what they watch, filtering out crap and unimaginative movies.
        I have a pretty good filter by now and no matter how tiny Roland Emmerich makes himself he still gets caught in the grating.
        sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

To be honest, I think space sci-fi is out of fashion now. Then again, it pretty much was when GR rebooted ST as ST:TNG
          I'll disagree... Sci-fi never goes out of fashion... There are many people still interested in it.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
          "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
          a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

But he is a spectacle film maker, which they do go and see...
            you are over estimating him big time he's not that famous
            sigpic
            My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
            poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

That is true, but I think he does enough to be noticed with the particular doomsday scenario movies he does. Independence Day is one movie people in general may know about if asked to name an 'aliens invading Earth' movie; even if not knowing who directed it initially as they would with Sci Fi/Fantasy genre movies like Avatar and Indiana Jones for example.

I just think people will probably watch another Stargate movie out of curiosity, even with not knowing that he'd done one before, especially if it is hyped like Independence Day. As I recall it was hyped for ever at the time with the teaser of what would come out of that ominous cloud, to the extent I went to see it, even dragging the totally disinterested in Sci Fi person that is my husband along to see what all the fuss was about. I wasn't aware at the time that he directed the Stargate movie of two years earlier, but I knew about him after ID!

Comment

As Krisz also said, my point was that half the people who go to a movie go to see the film, not because a certain director made it. They've seen the trailer and thought it looked interesting/fun.

Comment

I imagine if we ever get anything it's going to be something like this BSG remake:
                  http://variety.com/2014/film/news/battlestar-galactica-movie-gets-new-life-at-universal-exclusive-1201153687/

Universal is ramping up a movie version of the sci-fi franchise “Battlestar Galactica,” aiming to develop the film as a complete reimagining of the story.

“Transcendence” writer Jack Paglen has signed on to write the screenplay. Paglen has also committed to Ridley Scott’s “Prometheus” sequel for Fox that will start production this fall.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                    I imagine if we ever get anything it's going to be something like this BSG remake:
                    http://variety.com/2014/film/news/battlestar-galactica-movie-gets-new-life-at-universal-exclusive-1201153687/

Universal is ramping up a movie version of the sci-fi franchise “Battlestar Galactica,” aiming to develop the film as a complete reimagining of the story.

“Transcendence” writer Jack Paglen has signed on to write the screenplay. Paglen has also committed to Ridley Scott’s “Prometheus” sequel for Fox that will start production this fall.
                    that's exactly what i thought when i read that last night! and *again*, why?! and again, it looks like it's going back to the 'lesser' creators/writers...
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

just read a caption for an article on blastr: TMNT co-creator Peter Laird on Bay's remake: 'Fixing what isn't broken’.

*that's* that i feel about this reboot talk. 'fixing what isn't broken'
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                        just read a caption for an article on blastr: TMNT co-creator Peter Laird on Bay's remake: 'Fixing what isn't broken’.

*that's* that i feel about this reboot talk. 'fixing what isn't broken'
                        Exactly!
                        sigpic

Comment

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2014/0...movie-trilogy/

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                          "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                          a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

^ your point? are you adding to the discussion in some meaningful way? or just citing what everyone has seen?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                              ^ your point? are you adding to the discussion in some meaningful way? or just citing what everyone has seen?
                              I'm not assuming everyone has seen it... Posting it for those who may not have seen it and may want the details.

Comment

..but, people will flock to a Dean Devlin film.

Comment

Working...
                                X