Major Lorne on Destiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    I was really surprised he was never advanced in rank..
    Really? After the fiasco of Major Davis remaining the same rank for over ten years?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Exactly.. We already had several long term 'stuck in the rank they were' characters, which goes against all i know of the military. You don't advance, you get prosessed out for high year tenure. Even officers.

Comment

Exactly.

Now don't get me wrong, there are certain ranks in the UK military that suffer from this.... in some branches, you can get stuck as a Flight Lieutenant for ten years... but that's because you're jumping from Junior to Senior officer.... and the branches just AREN'T big enough. But the US mil is very firm on such matters. Up or out!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          I was really surprised he was never advanced in rank..
          Didn't they show in The Last Man (SGA) that Lorne had advanced to General? So at least in an alternate timeline he got promoted.
          sigpic

Comment

Lorne was a Major the whole time he was involved with SG1/SGA.

Major Davis, however, got stuck at being "Major" Davis throughout the entire series. Even though he had more or less a desk job, I should think he would have gotten at least one promotion during all that time. After all, even Major Samuels got promoted to Lt. Colonel, and I don't think he even deserved it.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              Lorne was a Major the whole time he was involved with SG1/SGA.

Major Davis, however, got stuck at being "Major" Davis throughout the entire series. Even though he had more or less a desk job, I should think he would have gotten at least one promotion during all that time. After all, even Major Samuels got promoted to Lt. Colonel, and I don't think he even deserved it.
              Promotions aren't issued based on field competence though, Staff Officer jobs such as those held by Davis, traditionally come with very rapid promotion. Given the high profile work he carried out, he would have been MORE likely to get promoted.

Promotion isn't like it is in the scouts or suchlike, as a reward, it's part of a career structure.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

In the latter years I always thought Jack and Sam got promoted way to fast
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  In the latter years I always thought Jack and Sam got promoted way to fast
                  Sam definitely did. Jack was mostly alright in his transition from Brigadier General to Lt General...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

True on carter.. it took what. Still S8 before she went from major carter to LT col carter.

Comment

Working...
                    X