Major Lorne on Destiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major Lorne on Destiny?

I just heard Kavan Smith (Maj. Lorne) in his Audiobook interview talking about asking for Major Lorne to be included in SGU when it was first being developed.

Obviously the producers shot him down. Do you think Evan Lorne would have been a good addition to the cast?
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

I would of loved to have Lorne on SGU and think it would help to really develop the character more than what his role was on SGA.

Comment

It would have been great to have him, since he is already a known character that the fans cared about.
      sigpic

Comment

Meh. He'd need some REAL character development. He was too... nice in all regards...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Wonder if he DID make it, where he would have fit in the chain of command.

Comment

Below Young
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Below Young
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

I would have LOVED for him to be on the show. I always felt like a recurring character from SG1 or SGA should've been on Universe, just to make the transition a little bit easier. And pretty much everyone liked Lorne, so I think he would've been a good choice.
                It's a shame the producers shot down that idea, I think it would've helped a lot.
                Plus; Major Lorne would get some major character development then, and I think Kavan Smith deserved that.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                Wonder if he DID make it, where he would have fit in the chain of command.
                Depends on how far along the producers were regarding development and creation of characters for SGU. Lorne was a Major for at least 5 years when SGA ended, maybe longer. He could've been promoted to Colonel for SGU. But like I said, that depends on how far along the producers were. If they had already created Col. Young and mapped out his background and story on the show, then obviously Lorne would've stayed a Major, falling below a Colonel once again.

Comment

I loved his character but I don't think he would have suited sgu but still you never know

Comment

I don't think he would have been a worthwhile addition to the cast, at least not if his character were on Destiny anyway, his rank being what it was would have upset the dynamic too much without adding a great deal. I like it when characters move between series as it makes the 'verse seem more whole, like the reference to Penhall, but I don't think this one would have made much sense.

Comment

I think he would have been great on SGU. Even though he was such a likeable and personable character I would have loved to have seen his character's 'character' tested by the deprivations and stresses of dealing with life on Destiny. He could have turned out to be a lot different after his experiences, I always saw a bit of a hard streak under that 'nice' demeanor waiting to come out!

Or he continues to be someone people could turn to, being approachable and friendly like Sgt Riley was. Either way I think he would have been a welcome addition to the crew of Destiny.

Comment

Character wise, I think he would have been a good 2nd in command for the intended mission that never happened due to the Lucian Alliance attack.

He was experienced at being in another galaxy and was a good leader, so would not be needed while testing theories. He was probably waiting to hear they had the 9th chevron working back on Earth/Atlantis and would have been brought over for the mission had it happened like it was intended to by SGC.

Comment

I was really surprised he was never advanced in rank..

Comment

I think he would have been a great addition to the series. The familiarity with Lorne would have helped SGU do better. Although personally I think what SGU lacked was an alien.

A "Teyla/Ronon" or "Teal'c" for that show. A Tok'ra for season 2 for instance, would have been nice. The Lucian Alliance people did not really capture that role well, but it was a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurluas View Post
                              I think he would have been a great addition to the series. The familiarity with Lorne would have helped SGU do better. Although personally I think what SGU lacked was an alien.

A "Teyla/Ronon" or "Teal'c" for that show. A Tok'ra for season 2 for instance, would have been nice. The Lucian Alliance people did not really capture that role well, but it was a start.
                              Well the show did *try* to fix that by making Chloe half-alien like (which imo was a ridiculous move).
                              I'm not entirely sure if SGU needed an alien on their team as well. Personally, I liked the fact that everyone was human. We ourselves are already flawed enough as it is, it made the dynamic aboard a ship billions of lightyears away from home so interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X