Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Seasons 9 and 10 had been a different series, would it have lasted?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a tough question. We don't know how a rebranding would have served the series financially. There are a lot of factors involved in this sort of discussion, and ninety-nine times out of one hundred, the fans will never have all the variables in front of them.

What do we know about Stargate SG-1's cancellation? We know that the ratings were down, but not down by much. Television today is a different ballgame from television nine years ago, but suffice it to say, most networks -- SyFy absolutely included -- would kill for those kinds of numbers now. I'm often asked, then, "why end the show?" The answer, as many of us know, is that it wasn't getting any younger; production costs increase with long-running series, and SG-1 is no exception. We've heard from key sources that it just wasn't making the cash it used to, but it was still profitable. Just... not on the level that it was for a long time beforehand.

It's an incredible achievement that Stargate SG-1 lasted as long as it did. Let no one ever say otherwise. I think we all know this, but in the spirit of this conversation it bears repeating. For a decade of their lives, many fans made time to follow these fictional adventures. Myself, I hopped aboard when it switched to the new network, and plenty of others did the same. We helped, all of us, to keep the Gate active for a very long, very healthy length of time. But it's no secret that a fraction of the fanbase was less enthusiastic about the Ori years, the RDA-less years, than what came before them. Was it a huge number of people? No, but it was enough to leave an impact. For eight years some of those folks had been following, too, and it's important to consider that for them perhaps it was as simple as fatigue. Whatever the case (we've all heard the various complaints) we know that they all factored in. SG-1 went from scoring 2.2s in the American Nielsen to 1.7s and 1.8s. Still good, but not so good as they'd have been years earlier, when the show didn't cost so damn much to keep on the air.

So what then, we ask, would a rebranding have done? Would it have mitigated various costs? That depends on a lot of things. A new show is a new show, and had "STARGATE COMMAND" succeeded the flagship show bowing out after eight seasons as originally envisioned, I posit that there'd have been far more changes than we'd already witnessed leading into the ninth year. How much of the original cast would have stuck around? Would it have been prudent in the eyes of the execs to remodel the sets? Would the same staff have stuck around the writing room? How would SyFy handle royalties? Question after question after question. SG-1 ended when it did because of rising costs, not widespread ratings failure. In another life, in another fashion, maybe it could have been sustainable for another two seasons or so, and "Command" might just have been that ticket. I don't know. There's another side to the question, however: would the rebranding have had a potential negative impact? We'll never know if a fraction of the preexisting fanbase may have felt all the more fatigued by the promise of yet another new show at that time, or if the selling points of Command would have appealed in the way that SG-1 did (even if, yes, SG-1 itself had visibly transformed) or if the marketing campaign for the spinoff would have attracted people, or if the spinoff not being different enough would have caused eyes to roll and customers to tune out. Always remember, we're awesome fans for having supported the television franchise for as long as we did, but we're still just a bit of a blip versus the total audience share.

I would have loved seasons 11, 12, what-have-you. I treasure the Ori years, and I've defended them time and again. When speaking with friends who haven't caught the Stargate bug, they'll sometimes ask, "Jeff, how can you possibly grieve the loss of a show not getting eleventh, twelfth seasons? Talk about wanting it all!" But the truth is, 9 and 10 are different enough from 1-8 that it really is a new show on some levels. For some, that new show wasn't so hot. For others, myself included, it was some of the best content in Stargate history, and it was worthy of more than 42 TV hours. But hey, we got 42. We got a wrap-up with that last two, and yet another fun one-off adventure after that. Stargate SG-1 was a hell of a force to be reckoned with.

Would that I could give the same level of resolution to Atlantis, and then there's Universe which will permanently endure a cliffhanger.
    If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

I'd love another show, but the franchise is back with Emmerich and Devlin - I can't see MGM taking it away from the again and they'll never give it up...If that film's a success they'll never consider a TV, and if the film's a flop the franchise will be mothballed indefinitely.

If there were a possibility of a new Stargate show, I think Stargate Command would be the way to go. It would be dependent on SG1, SGA or SGU (all of the casts have moved on) but it would make it easy for the show to dip in and out of all three and there'd be scope to develop new characters we'd grow to love, and to perhaps bring back old characters for a few episodes here and there. I always wanted to see what would happen when the programme went public (it had more or less become an open secret when it comes to the military, sectors of the scientific community, and big corporations, and with so many countries knowing it would only be a matter of time before disclosure), so it'd be interesting to see the ramifications - good and bad - if the show was set after disclosure.

For the record I believe if Stargate Command had happened instead of seasons 9 and 10...I think it would have lasted as long as Atlantis, and maybe both shows would have run past five years. Having the overlap with SG1 and Atlantis seemed (in my mind at least) to be a magic formula. I'm also certain that even a one year overlap of Atlantis and Universe would have brought a bigger audience to Universe (btw I'm not talking about fans, I'm talking general viewing public), kind of how NCIS created an audience for NCIS LA by serving as its lead-in. SG1 did the same for Atlantis. I'm still not convinced it would have reached 5 years, but it would have gone beyond 2.

With fan content...I'd say that when looking at other franchises' fan works...the results can vary. I downloaded some Star Trek stuff and it was utterly dire...But other Star Trek fan works are pretty good (check out Axanar!). I'd welcome fan content for Stargate, and if it turns out to be bad, don't decry all fan film makers...simply ignore the bad film. Fan activity saved the Star Trek franchise so it shouldn't be written off. As long as there's a fanbase, anything is possible so we shouldn't be dissuading people from trying something new.
      sigpic
      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I'm not so sure Stargate on television is quite that unlikely in future, sue. You raise some excellent points all-around, but, similar to how Star Trek has had people proclaiming it "belongs on TV" for over a decade and it's finally headed back (well, streaming, but hey) come January 2017, I think if the film reboot is successful enough there may be a similar outcry from fans across the world for several years. And I think Devlin in particular is industry-savvy enough to maybe consider making that happen, albeit probably like a decade from now. And, of course, albeit probably not remotely connected to our beloved Wright-helmed 1997-2011.

On the other hand, if the film flops, I'm similarly a bit more optimistic that Stargate's lasting potential will not see it shelved indefinitely. Tie-in media continues to sell to a high enough level that it... well... continues being produced, with SGA and SGU comics en route just next year, even. These aren't big-league publishers, granted, but they're publishers. Flopping is bad -- it's never good (no matter what certain SGA diehards thought, back in 2009) -- and it'll set things back all the more considerably. But this stuff is cyclical. Even then, I'd be surprised if Stargate didn't pop back up again eventually.

But other Star Trek fan works are pretty good (check out Axanar!). I'd welcome fan content for Stargate, and if it turns out to be bad, don't decry all fan film makers...simply ignore the bad film. Fan activity saved the Star Trek franchise so it shouldn't be written off. As long as there's a fanbase, anything is possible so we shouldn't be dissuading people from trying something new.
        Amen.
        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

You all have great points. I know I couldn't say anythig about this better myself.

Sure, we all wanted some more SG-1, SGA and SGU and of course, all of us (or most of us) still do. But all good things come to an end someday. Stargate SG-1 was cancelled/ended when it was ment to be cancelled/ended. Same goes for SGA and SGU. You can plan things ahead, that's fine. But weather you get the chance to put those "ahead plans" into action or not, that's a different thing. Wright, Malozzi and Cooper planned an 11th season of SG-1. It didn't happen. They planed an SGA movie and a 6th (and, presumably final) season for SGA and they even talked about more SGA movies if the first one would be a success. It didn't happen. They also envisioned 5 seasons for SGU. They got to do only 2. They've done too much planning and that affected the show in a negative way.

The way I see it, SG-1 could have had a completed storyline by the end of season 10. If season 8 would focus on SG-1 defeating the rest of the System Lords, than the final two seasons could focus on the Ori and their mythology, with the Jaffa Council thing just being written as a sub-plot to allow for continuity bridge to be maintained. The Replicators could be not written into the show at allm but actually make their premiere appearance in the second show, like it was originally intended. That would help SGA, because it would actually be its own show (still in continuity, though) and not just a show that's doing what SG-1 had already done.
          Speaking of Atlantis - its storyline could be completed by the end of its final season with better writing for some of the characters to allow for keeping the show affordable and profitable for a potential 6th season while keepng the same cast (minus the actor who played Lt. Ford) troughout its entire run.

In that case, switching to SGU would be much easier and smoother as the writers wouldn't have 1 barely completed and one half-completed series to worry about, which would eventually result into them be fully devoted to the new show. Which would be the power boost that SGU needed for any kind of continuation.

Comment

I don't think MGM sold Emmerich the Stargate rights. So any decision about Stargate remains firmly in MGMs hands

Comment

Working...
            X