Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Seasons 9 and 10 had been a different series, would it have lasted?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Seasons 9 and 10 had been a different series, would it have lasted?

I've read that for a while, they were considering ending SG1 with Season 8, and having seasons 9 and 10 be a new series called "Stargate Command," seeing as it was substantially different from SG1.

Personally, I really liked "The Fargate Years," and I've always felt it was a crying shame that Cam didn't get more time for us to know him.

So here's my question: If they'd done that, if Seasons 8 and 9 were a spinoff, if they were SG:C instead of SG1.2, would SGC have run longer?

We got 40 episodes out of it. If it'd been it's own show, might we have gotten more seasons?

Secondary question: Would the hypothetical SGC have been more or less popular than SGA in the long run?

I ask because SG1 was still consistently getting higher ratings (Though not by a lot) than SGA up until it ended. So would fans have prefered SGC, which is closer to SG1 overall, or the slightly-less-familiar SGA?

Thoughts?
    Sincerely,

Kevin Long
    (The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0)
    http://www.kevin-long.com

For me, "a rose by any other name".
    no means no, and so does pepper spray
    Sig by The Carpenter
    sigpic

Comment

Stargate Command should be a show now, make it after sg u, maybe then they can find a way for them to get home?
      Last Movie Watched
      X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
      Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
        Stargate Command should be a show now, make it after sg u, maybe then they can find a way for them to get home?
        I am up for that idea.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

That would be very sweet if they did a new show combining all the previous shows and call it "Stargate Command" ...one can dream, can't we?
          sigpic

Comment

I don't know why, but suddenly I can't 'reply with quote'. My computer locks up.

Anyway, yes, "Stargate: SGC" would make for a great anthology show, show the continuing adventures of SG1, SGA, individual characters, other SG teams, etc, with Landry and a couple others as the linking characters in every episode. It'd be easy to shoot, too, just build some new sets and say "The SGC moved to a new facility." SGU would be hard to work in, though, given how detailed and expansive their sets were.

Anyway, I'm thinking that if the "Fargate" years had been billed as a spinoff instead of a continuation, we would have gotten at least a third season out of it.
            Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

can't dabbles in what if's i was happy we got 10 seasons of sg-1.

Comment

True, "What If" is rather futile, unless someone plans to do something with it. For instance, SGC might be a good premise for a fanfilm series. Why aren't there more fanfilms, anyway?
                Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

Because most fans aren't that nerdy. Plus, they're always awful.

Comment

That might actually be it, if we're honest. Trekies or Trekers or compulsive Trekerbaiters or whatever they're calling themselves these days are only too willing to play dress up and act out their fantasies on camera. A few of these are good, most are excruciatingly awful. It could be that Gate's appeal was somewhat more mainstream, and appealed to a slightly less...socially impaired...fanbase, hence the idea of dressing up like SG12 and having adventures saving the world from poorly rendered CGI and/or sock puppets doesn't occur to most of 'em.

I've noted that *most* Gate fanfilms seem to come from Europe, curiously enough.

OTOH, fanfilms are fun to make, and they do serve the purpose of keeping the flag flying for whenever the studio attempts to give it another shot.
                    Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

So anyone wanna' make a fanfilm? I mean a good one...
                      Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

I never knew there were fan made films. That would be cool to make and do it well. Of course the average fan doesn't have access to good computer equipment and the ability to make quality special effects.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'd love to see this, even if it's just one season. Man, one can sure dream

Comment

probably, because sg-1 are so iconic putting somebody else in doesn't really work for me. when Daniel ascended and Jonas took his place for a season or 2 all i could think is "When are they gonna bring back Daniel?" sure he was a good character but you can't replace daniel. also while season's 9 and 10 aren't as good as the rest of the show, good things did come from it. the best thing is that because the introduced ben browder and claudia black, which got me to watch farscape so i think them for that. also we got to learn a little more about the ancients. but Ben came in trying to replace richard is a tall order to take on, ehich is why they added to people instead of 1 but it's just not the same. once you remove one from the team they are no longer sg1, so yea i think they should have called it something else and maybe it would have been better.

Comment

People get transferred in real life as well - I liked Seasons 9/10 although RDA was gone.
                              It was a different SG1 but still SG1 - for me. A bit more would have been nice.
                              CARPE DIEM
                              ANJA

Comment

Working...
                              X