Hawaii Con (September 2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hawaii Con (September 2014)

Imagine if you will...one big, massive con in Hawaii. A chance to not only take a vacation, but to get your fanboy/fangirl groove on while you're at it. A con that features multiple actors from shows like Buffy, Star Trek, Firefly, Farscape, Game of Thrones, Xena, Battlestar Galactica and more....? Interested?

How about a 10th anniversary reunion of the cast of Stargate Atlantis?

But not just any con. This one will offer the opportunity to do things like ziplining, scuba diving, etc...some activities including the stars?

Welcome to Hawaii Con.
    September 12-14, 2014 at the Hakuna Beach Prince Hotel in Waikoloa (on the big island).

Keep watching this space for more information...precise details and price information will continue this summer. But if this sounds like your cup of tea...comment frequently. Demand by fans will go a long way toward the shape this event will take....

CONFIRMED GUEST LIST:

STARGATE ATLANTIS CAST AND CREW

PAUL MCGILLION
    TORRI HIGGINSON
    ANDEE FRIZZELL
    RACHEL LUTTRELL
    RAINBOW SUN FRANCKS
    CHUCK CAMPBELL
    MIKA McKINNON (science/tech advisor for franchise)

OTHER STARGATE ACTORS

DAN PAYNE

OTHER GENRE ACTORS

NICHOLAS BRENDON ("Xander Harris", BUFFY)
    WALTER KOENIG ("Chekov", Trek; "Bester", B5)
    CLAUDIA CHRISTIAN ("Ivonova", BABYLON 5)
    PATRICIA TALLMAN ("Lyta Alexander" on BABYLON 5, also TNG, DS9, VOY)
    CREE SUMMER (A DIFFERENT WORLD, animation voice actress)
    DAVID FRANKLIN ("Braca" on FARSCAPE, "Brutus" on XENA)
    MICHAEL HOGAN ("Colonel Tigh", BATTLESTAR GALACTICA)
    KATE VERNON ("Ellen Tigh", BSG)
    RICHARD HATCH ("Apollo" Old School, "Tom Zarek" Reboot, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA)
    ADRIENNE WILKINSON (XENA)

ADDITIONAL NOTABLE GUESTS

JANE ESPENSON (Writer, BUFFY, ANGEL, FIREFLY, ONCE UPON A TIME, TORCHWOOD)
    BRAD BELL (Actor, writer, producer, comic book author, HUSBANDS)

CHLOE DYKSTRA ("Heroes of Cosplay", NERDIST contributor)
    HOLLY CONRAD (cosplayer, costume design for ROBOT CHICKEN
    JESSICA MERIZAN (lead community manager for BioWare)
    DR. TIM SLATER (astronomer and professor at University of Wyoming
    DR. STEPHANIE SLATER (director of the CAPER Center)
    BOBAK FERDOWSKI (Engineer at NASA Jet Propulsion Lab)
    Last edited by doublecut; 03 January 2014, 05:29 AM.
    Creation Chicago Con 2004, 2005, 2008-2015
    Creation Vancouver Con 2008-2012 R.I.P.
    Creation Minneapolis Con (HOST) 2010
    Wizard Chicago Comic-Con 2010-2015
    Cyphan Con Chicago (TALENT MANAGER) 2010-2012
    Con-Version Calgary 2010
    C2E2 2013-2015
    TimeGate 2014, 2015 (GUEST)
    Hawaii Con 2014, 2015 (STAFF/PANEL MODERATOR)
    Fantasticon Milwaukee 2014
    FCD (First Contact Day) 2015, 2016 (HOST/TALENT COORDINATOR)

I wasn't planning on doing many more conventions...though I would definitely make an exception for this one, especially with activities like ziplining. etc....

Look forward to hearing more details.....
    sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! If there is a 10-year anniversary cast reunion of SGA I would so try to get there! Plus it's Hawaii and you can never go wrong there! LOL
      My only worry is that the cost will prove to be too much for my poor bank account.
      Looking forward to hearing more about this fantastic-sounding con!
      sigpic

Comment

Next confirmed guest: Juliet Landau, who played the vampire "Drusilla" in Buffy and Angel. There are a ton more Stargate names on the way, including ones not from Atlantis, but until they are official, they won't be named.
        Con-Version Calgary 2010
        C2E2 2013-2015

Comment

I will admit I'm curious about the con and the guests, but the big factor will be cost.
          sigpic

Comment

I'll also add that from a budget perspective, mid to late September is a little tight after Creation's Chicago con (assuming there is one next year) and Dragon*Con. I'm not criticizing, just commenting.
            sigpic

Comment

Understandable, Vecturist. But I know the con organizer is hoping the draw of some of the things that will be offered at HC (island activities with actors), things Chicago and DC can't begin to offer, will be a bigger draw.... This event will easily be bigger than the Chicago con...but not quite the size of DC, if that gives you an idea.

There are 3 hotels in a bidding war to offer the lowest hotel rates to con-goers...hence why some details haven't locked in yet. The organizer knows there are economy issues. So the cost of the con itself won't be too astronomical. Your biggest expense would be the flight...but that's also why the word is getting out over a year early...so that certain things can be budgeted.

In the interim, the main con page is located at Hawaiicon.com, and there is also a Facebook page up. The main con page is still under construction, but you can put in your email to be registered for updates as they happen.
              Con-Version Calgary 2010
              C2E2 2013-2015

Comment

Is it organized by fans or a for-profit company?

Comment

Organized and run by fans. The con founder who set the wheels in motion is a filmmaker with several industry connections who has already worked on a professional level with many names in genre entertainment. It's a NFP organization.
                  Con-Version Calgary 2010
                  C2E2 2013-2015

Comment

Which island? Oahu? Is there a website already for this con?

Comment

Probably too far and too expensive for two of us to travel there - Family Deeds always come as a package ..but if we did, it would be imperative that we know a lot more about the company/people who are/is organising this, their convention organising track record and reputation before we even considered risking such a high cost venture.. hope to see the website up with lots more details very soon...it all sounds way too vague for us atm...

Deeds xx
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                      MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

It might be cost prohibitive - I don't know...do the con organizers have access to maybe setup charter flights at key city locations? It's only worth it if the charters are alot less then what is charged for a standard flight. Just checking on-line - airfare from the Mainland States is pretty expensive to go Hawaii at least the farther east you go. Sometimes there are some great deals offered for Hawaii but those are usually connected to cruises and hotels and it depends on which City this convention is in.

I know to setup and coordinate something like this is a lot of work and would be difficult since fans come from all over the world and key cities have to be picked like Chicago, Atlanta, Phoenix, Seattle, Minneapolis, Vancouver Canada, places in Europe, Australia, etc... and they have to be sure enough people can take the charter to make it worth it but it might be worth looking into to help attendees get to this convention.

Maybe find out where fans are coming from and see what can be setup.

Maybe a flight and hotel deal can be setup. In all honesty, that was the only way I could attend a recent convention in the UK. I got such a good deal on the hotel from Priceline that I barely paid anything for the room.

Just a suggestion. The majority of con goers are not loaded with money so if there are ways to help out it would be great. Most fans want to spend their money at the convention, not necessarily on travel.
                        Last edited by Rosehawk; 23 June 2013, 09:50 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the updates! I will stay tuned. I think a hotel/flight deal might be the best way to help with the cost of just getting there and staying there. That would be the biggest hurdle for me, and then seeing how much all of the tickets and photo ops and autographs and special events, etc, would cost.
                          sigpic

Comment

And will the con be longer than just a weekend? More than just two, two-and-a-half days?
                            sigpic

Comment

The organizer is also working on some pricing deals with airlines. They are in talks...no idea where they will lead as of yet. But your concerns were already thought of.

The con will be 4 days. Thursday thru Sunday in the backhalf of September 2014. (Precise date TBD soon.)

BRAND NEW CONFIRMED ATTENDEE: Torri Higginson
                              Con-Version Calgary 2010
                              C2E2 2013-2015

Comment

Working...
                              X