Stargate SG-1 Reboot/Remake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate SG-1 Reboot/Remake

Lets say they were to reboot the show (heavens forbid) what actors would you choose for the roles?
    sigpic

I would start with a lovely woman named Amanda Tapping. Then I would go after this fellow named Richard Dean Anderson.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
      I would start with a lovely woman named Amanda Tapping. Then I would go after this fellow named Richard Dean Anderson.
      that's the ppl and order i'd go in too!
      sally

sigpic

Comment

If they did you know that they would choose actors who simply aren't right for the role and then stuff the rest of the show with too much CGI.

Comment

I'll make it a rule that previous actors can't return haha.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
            If they did you know that they would choose actors who simply aren't right for the role and then stuff the rest of the show with too much CGI.
            That is exactly what would happen. I would much rather see another spin-off, NOT SGU, than a reboot of the whole series. My personal opinion is that they made many fatal mistakes as the seasons progressed (Ascension) that a reboot could correct. Unfortunately, you can't recapture what the cast brought to the table. A new cast might be entertaining, but it would be different. The politics of TV today would ruin it. Carter and Jackson would end up being two attractive college or even high school age geniuses. O'Neill would have the rugged experience of a military person who is forty wrapped in the package of a twenty-eight year old. Teal'c would have to have a stomach that constantly showed off his abs. It just wouldn’t be worth it.

Now, I wouldn’t mind reading a re-boot of the series. I would love to see everything up to where ascension came into the picture and then they turn left and go a different direction. I wouldn’t even mind a serious animated reboot with the originals doing voice over, although it would really be tough to take without Don S. Davis.

Comment

I watch Stargate for the chemistry between the original SG-1 cast. A re-boot wouldn't interest me in the slightest.

It would be like the awful teen SG-1 spoof with Cory Monteith from "200". Universe was bad enough!
              Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

I have said before that any remake of SG1 should eliminate ascension, the Anubis story arc and the Replicators. Personally I wasn't crazy about the Ori story line either. I could do without it.

Perhaps there should be a greater elaboration on the goa'uld as intelligent creatures even prior to their insertion because it remains rather unrealistic to have the idea of a serpentine creature capable of humanoid consciousness without a detailed explanation of how this is possible.

PS Could anyone refresh my memory as to why and how the stargate system came into being according to the storyline of Stargate 1994? If it did not involve the Ancients etc., what was the purpose of a single gate address between Earth and the unnamed planet (which we assume to be Abydos)?
                Last edited by Dave2; 18 July 2013, 04:14 AM.

Comment

I would watch a series about a spinoff with the Ancients, so much we don't know about them.

I Just don't see a reboot, can't imagine getting a group of actors together with the same chemistry. That and they really can't develop their own character, imagine the constant reminders ''Michael Shanks did it better'' ''That guy isn't as funny as RDA was''

Comment

For me, the best possible resurrection of SG-1 would be an animated film series featuring the voices of the original cast. Not only would this eliminate the issue of $3million per produced hour production costs, but it would also enable Jack O'Neill to exceed the limitations of the fact that RDA is over sixty now, and can't do stunts that most 25 year-olds wouldn't do.

A close 2nd would be a book series produced by the original writers and cast, like Joss Whedon's Buffy Seasons Eight & Nine. It's not that I doubt there are other capable writers out there, but it needs to be the originals to keep the voices of the cast.

A straight reboot would hold little appeal for me--SGU was sort of a retooling of Stargate while keeping the continuity and featuring most of SG1 periodically, and I was even letdown there. I'm not one of the folks who hated SGU, but I never felt attached to any of the characters like I did to Jack, Sam, Teal'c, Daniel, Hammond, Shep, McKay, Teyla, Ronan, Weir, and Beckett.
                    sigpic
                    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                    ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
                      I have said before that any remake of SG1 should eliminate ascension, the Anubis story arc and the Replicators. Personally I wasn't crazy about the Ori story line either. I could do without it.

Perhaps there should be a greater elaboration on the goa'uld as intelligent creatures even prior to their insertion because it remains rather unrealistic to have the idea of a serpentine creature capable of humanoid consciousness without a detailed explanation of how this is possible.
                      I totally agree with everything there. Ascension, Anubis, Replicators (should have never gone past one episode and never gotten past looking like machines), and The Ori should all disappear in Ripple in Space's idea of an animated reboot with the original cast doing the voices. Of course, I would want it to be serious animation, i.e. not kid friendly.

P.S. I would love to see any reboot go back to Showtime. I mean if there were to be a reboot, I want to see a serious reboot that they can do just about anything they want to with.

And I found a thread where they are discussing a similar topic.

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...spinoff-reboot

I also agree with Beliskner86. We don't know enough about the Ancients. I don't know if a whole series would work, but if there were a reboot or an new spin-off I think it would be great to have more flashback type episodes about the Ancients. Maybe even a season where one episode is current followed by another that tells stories of the Ancients' history.
                      Last edited by Looney; 21 July 2013, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Maybe an animated Stargate show (better than Infinity of course) would do a good job and financially viable, although as such it would cater more to kids than to those of us who are just kids at heart.

Comment

Why don't you like the Replicators? They're among my favorite bad guys - both the 1st generation and humanform ones.

I like your idea of an animated reboot with the original cast doing the voices

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
                            Maybe an animated Stargate show (better than Infinity of course) would do a good job and financially viable, although as such it would cater more to kids than to those of us who are just kids at heart.
                            It's 2013. Richard Dean Anderson is old enough to be my grandfather, and his favorite show is the animated sitcom the Simpsons XD

More toward the action genre, DC has been putting out animated Batman/Superman DVDs for the past few years that are more adult-themed than the Nolan films, with voice casts who are big name TV stars, and that have sold better than Ark of Truth.
                            sigpic
                            "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                            ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Samantha-Carter-is-my-muse View Post
                              Why don't you like the Replicators?
                              I guess I was okay with the Replicators until the whole "humanform ones" showed up.

Comment

Working...
                              X