Command Structure of Destiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Command Structure of Destiny?

As we know, Stargate Command primarily had a USAF General commanding the base, and delegating responsibilities between departments and teams. Atlantis primarily had civilian leadership.

Do you think the setup of Col. Young as de facto leader was the best call?
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Yes
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Well considering that Icarus was a USAF base employing scientists and that Young was the top man there, I think it only logical that he was the top man on Destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
        As we know, Stargate Command primarily had a USAF General commanding the base, and delegating responsibilities between departments and teams. Atlantis primarily had civilian leadership.

There was simply no call to it what so ever.

I don't know why people feel Destiny is so special that they can pick and choose their leadership style. All personnel on Icarus were directly under the command of Young. A CO has direct responsibility and a duty of care for his personnel at all times, which includes contingency operations, emergency situations, and evacuations. Until the personnel on Destiny decide to abandon all hope of returning to Earth, they are still part of Young's team - and as such, directly under his command.

They are not a colony.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post

I don't know why people feel Destiny is so special that they can pick and choose their leadership style. All personnel on Icarus were directly under the command of Young. A CO has direct responsibility and a duty of care for his personnel at all times, which includes contingency operations, emergency situations, and evacuations. Until the personnel on Destiny decide to abandon all hope of returning to Earth, they are still part of Young's team - and as such, directly under his command.

They are not a colony.
          I agree, I do think however, Young was remiss in not delegating more to Wray and/or Scott. The guy was always exhausted. I probably would have tried to make Volker or Park a sort of scientific administrator, just so he didn't have to spend so much time monitoring Rush.
          sigpic
          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
          ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post

Yes, especially considering the events of "Divided".
            I do think he should've built up more of a pyramid of administrators like Scott, Wray and TJ under him so his command would've been more stable, he would've had less to worry about and he would've managed to concentrate on other matters.
            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post

I don't know why people feel Destiny is so special that they can pick and choose their leadership style.
              Special? That's not special, that's what all free peoples do. Destiny is not a military outpost, the USAF have no jurisdiction there. The crew are refugees, and while the military personnel might have an obligation to continue to follow Young, the civilians do not. The only way Young managed to maintain command was by threat of violence.

Comment

It is however a USAF operation and thats what you're missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                  It is however a USAF operation and thats what you're missing.
                  I'm not missing anything. The USAF isn't justified in creating an oppressive authoritarian regime just because they arbitrarily decide that a load of refugees on Destiny, some of which are their people, is "their operation". The civilians never signed away their life on the dotted line like the military personnel did, they can leave their job whenever they like. It was wrong, it left an inept commander in change, and it lead to a mutiny.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                    I'm not missing anything. The USAF isn't justified in creating an oppressive authoritarian regime just because they arbitrarily decide that a load of refugees on Destiny, some of which are their people, is "their operation". The civilians never signed away their life on the dotted line like the military personnel did, they can leave their job whenever they like. It was wrong, it left an inept commander in change, and it lead to a mutiny.
                    I thought they did have to sign on the dotted line... It would be pretty standard if civilians that signed on for the mission were signed with a non-disclosure agreement along with an agreement to follow military command while employed by the USAF. They would not be subject to court marshalls and all that if they did not, but I cannot see why they were on another planet if they did not agree to the basics.

Comment

The difference of course being that civilians are free to terminate their employment. That is if we ignore the obvious ethical dilemmas and try to apply "Earth laws" to Destiny at all. If we were talking about Icarus then fair enough, but Destiny doesn't belong to the USAF, they have no more claim to it than anyone else aboard.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                        The difference of course being that civilians are free to terminate their employment. That is if we ignore the obvious ethical dilemmas and try to apply "Earth laws" to Destiny at all. If we were talking about Icarus then fair enough, but Destiny doesn't belong to the USAF, they have no more claim to it than anyone else aboard.
                        Exactly. Like Atlantis, it could have been ran as a military op, but they chose to have a CIVILIAN head (weir).. So why not the destiny?

Comment

Do you realize how that works? They do have jurisdiction by means of occupation. The same way Canada was once a British Colony because some British soldiers planted their flag here. Until somebody fights them off and makes them abandon that claim or negotiates it away, it does now belong to the SGC military.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          Exactly. Like Atlantis, it could have been ran as a military op, but they chose to have a CIVILIAN head (weir).. So why not the destiny?
                          Atlantis was more complicated. Weir did not have command of the Military on Atlantis. They had a civilian leadership due to IOA financial support of the SGC, but her authority ended as soon as military engagement began. This was demonstrated on a few different episodes but usually she got along well enough with the military commanders (Sheppard) to get her way.

I think there is an argument that a Civilian should be in charge of non-military matters, which is what Wray is doing a few times in the show. Military on Destiny just have a more inclusive view of what is Military Matters and what is not. I tend to agree with them as long as the primary objective of the group is survival; if that ever switches to research, diplomacy or science I would go with the Civilian leader.

Comment

See the thing with destiny is that the scientists were employed by the USAF to do their job. That means if they want their mortgages to keep getting paid while they're out there in space they keep to their end of the deal too.

The USAF would have been smart enough to mention all the risks that could happen to them too so I don't think any breach of contract would be arguable either.

Young was the top man on Icarus, the staff (military or civilian) were under his leadership and that should remain the case.

Comment

Yup although he was unusually suspicious of Rush from day 1 even tho Rush hadn't done anything questionable (yet).
                              Maybe that sort of unjustified suspicion's what made the whole thing spiral down.

Comment

Working...
                              X