This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has season 7 been poor?

Each ep seems like a filler to me. Previous seasons each ep expanded upon on another and revealed a bit more about the storyline. The last few eps nothing has been revealed which is disappointing. Also it would be nice to have more River! In previous seasons with Rory and Amy there seemed to be more focus to the story. There hasnt been much to challenge to Doctors morals as well. Last season had a great ep set in the wild west with the Doctor facing his morals.
    Last edited by GodAtum; 12 May 2013, 08:11 AM.
    "You don't know half of it".
    Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
    (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

I don't think the season has been poor, there is just no real attempt at actually explaining anything.

When RTD was doing the show, in my opinion, we'd get get something that would just be recurring throughout the season. Bad Wolf for example, or constant references to Mr. Saxon and then during the final episode it would all be explained, everything tied up and the next season would do something new.

Moffat, he tried to do it with the cracks in space being his version of Bad Wolf and going for a story that spans over several seasons, but he doesn't do explanations very well. I think this season could be a return to the RTD way of doing things. We know there is something weird about Clara, and we will find out end of season. Unless of course he's going to finish off what happened the past two seasons first with the Silence, his name, what caused the TARDIS to go boom.

sigpic

Comment

This series has been quite weak.

It possess few if any special episodes worth rewatching or showing to anyone if introducing them to Who.

Most of the stories are bogged down with empty CGI spectacle, underused guest stars, plots without solid endings, and a companion, whom we next to nothing about to the point that she should be named generic companion.

The splitting of the season made it worse. The series lacked momentum.

It's been a year of filler with no payoff. Even if the finale offers answers, the price of our wasted time hasn't been worth it.
      "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I,m not enjoying this season as much.
        And I think the Doctor's obsession with using the sonic screwdriver is really annoying.
        no means no, and so does pepper spray
        Sig by The Carpenter
        sigpic

Comment

I thought it's been getting better and better, until Nightmare, which dropped back down a notch or two, even though I think it improved on second viewing. And, in hindsight, I'm only talking about the second half of the season...

Comment

So many times this season I've actually been bored during an episode. That never used to happen. I have been wondering if it's the show, or me.
            sigpic

Comment

Hmm... I quite enjoyed this series as much as I did the others (exept cold war, maby). Maybe it was not as good as Series 5 (which I think is one of my favourites), but all the same I thougt it was entertaining. But as soon as I started to like and love a story, it is verry hard to shake me off again.
              Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

Series 7 as a whole I have enjoyed.

Yes some of the stories have been a touch weak, but other have been substantially better than previous seasons.

There still bits that could be taken away and I wouldn't miss if they decreased their appearance, the over the top silliness that Matt Smith sometimes plays the doctor.

The need to have armies of ridiculous portions because somehow that more scary.

I think though that the reason many are not liking the current is because the writers have mature up the programme and turn it more adult, and introduce a more scifi feel to it than the previous RTD era, no more farting aliens.

Comment

Interesting points of view. I haven't seen the 11th Doctor yet, but we'll see... The comments about silliness don't bode well, though. I thought the 10th Doctor was too silly to begin with...
                  sigpic

Comment

I dunno what is it. In some eps of previous seasons I have cried (
                    Spoiler:
                    esp the one with Rory the Roman and when River revealed she was Amy's daughter
                    ).

I cannot name one single stand-out moment this series
                    "You don't know half of it".
                    Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
                    (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                      Interesting points of view. I haven't seen the 11th Doctor yet, but we'll see... The comments about silliness don't bode well, though. I thought the 10th Doctor was too silly to begin with...
                      He was, Matt Smith in some respects have made it worst. Only the 9th really the doctor mostly straight and serious the new Doctor who anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by GodAtum View Post
                        I dunno what is it. In some eps of previous seasons I have cried (
                        Spoiler:
                        esp the one with Rory the Roman and when River revealed she was Amy's daughter
                        ).

If you look at the whole of season 7 there are quite a lot episodes I cried my eyes out (well, more or less) including the christmas special, sometimes I don't even know what about. In the last few episodes The Rings of Arkanum was the only one which brought me to a few tears (as far as I remember). ANd yes I know, this is the episodes most people absolutely did't like. But there where lot's of moments which made me laugh or smile.
                        Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

I wouldn't say it was poor. I'd say it was flawed and polar. But I love it.

I found the first half of S7 to be a little too rushed in placed. The episodes themselves were wonderful ideas, but many of them were too grand for just one episode and should have been spread over two - most notably Asylum of the Daleks.

As for the second half, I think we've just been spoiled. They were all very good episodes, but eps such as 'The Bells of St John' were merely good, not spectacular. Other eps have completely polarised fans, like the Rings of Azkaban (or whatever the sod it was called). I thought Cold War and Hide were both amazing, and yes whilst Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS was intellectually thin on the ground, it was still a real treat!

I would argue that this series has, in fact, been better than S6, which for some reason didn't sit right with me due to The Impossible Astronaut...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GodAtum View Post
                            I dunno what is it. In some eps of previous seasons I have cried [...]
                            Me either. I still love Matt Smith's Doctor, so it's not that, it's the plots. Especially this last half. I am actually hoping that it's just bad writing, because I'd hate to think that I burned out on Doctor Who.
                            sigpic

Comment

I seem to think that with this season the "reacurring sub plot" is going to be way more in the details then previous seasons.
                              I like Sharky
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X