The moral of the story is......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is another "moral of the story"
    People liked "old skool Sargate", and when they messed with it, Stargate died.

This is not an attack on SGU, it is an observation on what happened, love SGU all you want
    Seems to me like the real moral of the story is that people like you still blame SGU for destroying the franchise and you still can't stand that.

So every opportunity you get, you stick your ore in and remind everyone.

Why else would you keep bringing it up?
    SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

I hated SGU at first and it took a couple watches to realize the brilliance of the show. I think its curse is that is was set in the Stargate Universe. SGU is a show cut before its time just like Firefly was. I think Stargate fans or even new viewers who watch SG-1 and SGA go into shell shock when they watch SGU. That is what happened to me and I think similar experiences for others as well.
      sigpic

Favorite quote:
      McKay: You shot me!
      Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
      Ronon: You shot me, too.
      Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

I agree. When I read a comment on a Serbian forum that SGU got canned, I immediately went to GW because I refused to believe it at first. However, when I saw the announcement, I was schocked and couldn't calm myself down for motnhs, at least when anything SG was in question.

Comment

Originally posted by psl1 View Post
          Seems to me like the real moral of the story is that people like you still blame SGU for destroying the franchise and you still can't stand that.
          People like me??

Why SHOULD I stand for that??
          Here is a suggestion, instead of playing "fan excuse bingo" for SGU that "people like you" () like to play, why not just admit that SGU simply did not have the appeal that TPTB were hoping for??
          I am MORE than willing to accept that SG-1 was played out and SGA was reaching the end of it's appeal. You *seem* to like to think I hold SG-1 and SGA up as some kind of "sacred cow", but really, I don't. I love SG-1, I love SGA, hell, I even loved the *concept* of SGU, none of that however prevents me from seeing SG-1 going "far-gate" at the end, or SGA rehashing SG-1 storylines and having Deus ex machina beaten all over it with the obvious hammer, *I liked 'em anyway EVEN with that understanding*

So every opportunity you get, you stick your ore in and remind everyone.
          I "stick my oar" in when someone cannot help but compare the 3 shows. If the argument is, "TPTB said it was gonna be different DUH!!" then why the fascination with comparing them? SGU was billed as a more "adult version" of the Stargate concept, and THATS how I judge it, not because of SG-1 or SGA. *In My Opinion* SGU did not do anything new or different or better than I had seen in other Scifi shows. You think otherwise, cool!!, more power to ya Psl1, you saw something I did not, and that's cool.

Why else would you keep bringing it up?
          I *Respond*, I do not initiate the comparisons. Ask the other SGU fans why *they* feel the need to keep "bringing it up" and we may get somewhere.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            I *Respond*, I do not initiate the comparisons. Ask the other SGU fans why *they* feel the need to keep "bringing it up" and we may get somewhere.
            Hmmmm possibly because we are in the SGU part of a stargate forum! this is a place for fans of SGU to discuss what they liked about SGU and if they want to compare it to SG-1 or SGA then they can because its an SGU forum.

As I have said previously I like all 3 series equally for different reasons so I spend time in all the sections of this forum and would be saying the same as im saying to you if an SGU fan was putting down SGA in the SGA forum!

There is a time and a place, if you want to have the same old argument about "which series is better" or "SGU destroyed stargate because...." arguments then do it by all means but do it in either the general stargate, SG1 or SGA sections of this forum. Dont however come into the SGU section to bad mouth it as thats like me walking into your house and saying "I dont like your curtains", "your funtiture sucks" or "the value of my house up the road has dropped and I blame you because your house smells".

Its about respect.

Comment

Originally posted by initial View Post
              Hmmmm possibly because we are in the SGU part of a stargate forum! this is a place for fans of SGU to discuss what they liked about SGU and if they want to compare it to SG-1 or SGA then they can because its an SGU forum.
              Right, stop right there.
              This is the section of GW to discuss SGU, not the "SGU is da bestest" part of the forum. there is NO "SGU is da bestest" part. If I wanted to create a "SGU killed stargate" discussion, I would NOT put it in the SG-1 section now would I?
              As I have no desire to have that old discussion, I don't make such threads.
              As I have said previously I like all 3 series equally for different reasons so I spend time in all the sections of this forum and would be saying the same as im saying to you if an SGU fan was putting down SGA in the SGA forum!
              There are plenty of threads in the SGA forum raging on SGA and the direction it took, have a look dude. In fact, I have ragged on SGA as well when I felt it failed. The difference here is, I don't take it personally when someone says "Didn't it suck when McKay solved everything with gobbledygook in the last 5 minutes". It's true and it got annoying sometimes, but that was part of the show. I am just prepared to accept it anyway.

There is a time and a place, if you want to have the same old argument about "which series is better"
              I DON'T want to have that argument, I respond to others saying "SGU was the shizz and everything else was meh because they did XYZ............
              I guess life is easier when people you disagree with have no right to reply eh?

or "SGU destroyed stargate because...." arguments then do it by all means but do it in either the general stargate, SG1 or SGA sections of this forum.
              Yes, I should talk about SGU in the SG-1 or SGA forum, rather than the SGU one.........
              Dont however come into the SGU section to bad mouth it as thats like me walking into your house and saying "I dont like your curtains", "your funtiture sucks" or "the value of my house up the road has dropped and I blame you because your house smells".
              No, it's not. *YOU* are saying "my curtains and furniture are better" yet you don't want anyone to come in and say "no, it's not"
              Its about respect.
              That's laughworthy, If you respected SG-1 or SGA, you would not denigrate it to try to prove your point and then cry when you are challenged on it.
              sigpic

Comment

That's laughworthy, If you respected SG-1 or SGA, you would not denigrate it to try to prove your point and then cry when you are challenged on it.
                I dont even know where to begin with your reply as I feel like im smashing my head against a wall.

I will however say in regards to the quote above, how dare you, get your facts straight and read my posts at no point in this conversation or any other conversation anywhere on gateworld have I said anything against any of the "THREE" stargate series! so your making stuff up to try to win an argument yet you have the audacity to accuse me of crying when challenged.

I have nothing else to say to you, if you feel the need to go trolling for arguments with people who simply want to talk about something they enjoy then I and I suggest everyone else should simply ignore you. Its people like you that cause new people to these type of forums to leave.

Comment

"Gatefan1976 " I will just point out that most of the people hear love SGU, that’s why we lament on its passing and miss it so much . It speaks to some of us in a way the other series never did. I don't see any faults in the show. Some stuff doesn't interest me as much as others, but like a good friend , we will 'make allowances' for that.

*In My Opinion* SGU did not do anything new or different or better than I had seen in other Scifi shows. You think otherwise, cool!!, more power to ya Psl1, you saw something I did not, and that's cool.
                  Why are you being so patronizing, you clearly don't "think it cool", you are bothered by people who do compare the series and prefer SGU over it. Stop presenting yourself as the voice of reason around here because your belligerence says otherwise.

As an experienced Sci-Fi consumer, there is precious little good Sci-Fi produced in the last decade or two , that we have to celebrate the success and champion them. That’s all we are doing.

BTW
                  I've watched the 'Farscape' movie 'Serenity' and am sufficiently impressed with python490 comment and comparison, that I will see if I can rent/buy the series and immerse myself in it. Thanks for the reminder

Comment

"Gatefan1976 " I will just point out that most of the people hear love SGU, that’s why we lament on its passing and miss it so much.
                    Fine, I keep my size 9's OUT of threads like that, this is not such a thread however.
                    It speaks to some of us in a way the other series never did. I don't see any faults in the show. Some stuff doesn't interest me as much as others, but like a good friend , we will 'make allowances' for that.
                    I hear ya, I do the same for SG-1 and SGA, and plenty of other shows as well.

Why are you being so patronizing, you clearly don't "think it cool", you are bothered by people who do compare the series and prefer SGU over it. Stop presenting yourself as the voice of reason around here because your belligerence says otherwise.
                    No, I am bothered by people who make their case by tearing down the other two series.
                    Is that such a hard idea to grasp?
                    That is what makes me belligerent, NOT other people's enjoyment of the show.
                    As an experienced Sci-Fi consumer,
                    Are you assuming I am not?
                    there is precious little good Sci-Fi produced in the last decade or two , that we have to celebrate the success and champion them. That’s all we are doing.
                    And AGAIN, I have no problem with that. You may think "Starlost" is the epitome of TV scifi and Barbarella is an insightful view into the future of mankind in movie format, that's your call and I won't hassle you for that view in the slightest.

BTW
                    I've watched the 'Farscape' movie 'Serenity' and am sufficiently impressed with python490 comment and comparison, that I will see if I can rent/buy the series and immerse myself in it. Thanks for the reminder
                    Umm, Serenity is the movie for Firefly dude, Farscape is a different kettle of fish
                    sigpic

Comment

Thats probably why I've not found it yet.

Comment

Thats probably why I've not found it yet.
                        Quite possibly dude.

Firefly is the "western in space", Serenity is the "ending movie" for it
                        Farscape is about the astronaut who get wormholed to the other side of the galaxy and has muppets, it's ending movie is "the peacekeeper wars"

I recommend both as good viewing, Firefly for it's somewhat darker approach and Farscape for a good laugh with a bit of the ol "trekkian moral story" thrown in.
                        sigpic

Comment

Firefly looks like the best choice for me. When I want humor in space I watch Red Dwarf.

Comment

Firefly looks like the best choice for me. When I want humor in space I watch Red Dwarf.
                            Farscape is not to the comedy level of RD dude
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman
                              Actually i feel SGU was very close to early SG1 while SGA was much closer to late SG1.
                              It contained quite a few similar stories. Except SGU removed the hope-and-moral silver lining. SGU went against orders, mutinied, and did some extremely morally debatable things, and i felt that episodes like Time and Malice especially, highlighted that.
                              Originally posted by Aesop View Post
                              That's a good point, I see what you're saying. You're right, if you look at Children of the Gods, it was a pretty grim episode but because of the episodic format and the overall nature of SG-1 things resolved eventually. In the SGU model they take that same premise but to the extremes of grimness.
                              I liked SG-1 and Atlantis for their humor and the storylines, but SGU, IMO, blew the two right out of the water with its great new plot. It is an exaggeration of cause and effect, and teaches us that there can always be good in something bad. Boy wonder solves a code and gets stranded across the Universe. Seems bleak at first, but he realizes that this is HIS destiny, and comes to love being there, despite the dangers and other negatives.

I'm only sad that I don't get to see more Ginn...

Comment

Farscape is not to the comedy level of RD dude
                                Of course. Farscape comedy is far superior
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X