Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rush dialing Destiny with Earth's point of origin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rush dialing Destiny with Earth's point of origin.

Okay, so last night I was watching SGU and noticed that when Eli mentions the address could be a code, Rush enters the current point of origin for Earth. If Destiny was launched when the Ancients were on Earth a very long time ago would not it have used the point of origin from the gate found in Antarctica? I'm going along with assuming that that gate was the primary one used by the Ancients until Atlantis was built or placed on Earth. Or did the code change with a gate update? Input?

That would probably get explained in one of the three unmade planned remaining seasons of SGU, as well a lot of other stuff that has to do with Destiny and it's systems.

But I believe you're right. However, I think if the code would change with a gate update, would't that mean that Rush wouldn't have to use the Earth's current point of origin when dialing Destiny?

Comment

I have wondered this as well. The problem is worse when you consider that the gate they used had a different point of origin too (different planet)
      sigpic

Comment

Well we know that Destiny wasn't necessarily meant to be dialled from Earth, so it would make no sense to include a point of origin in the code. It's obviously a writer goof, but not one that can't be rationalized away. We just have to assume that the correlative updates changed the code to account for the change in gate.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
          Well we know that Destiny wasn't necessarily meant to be dialled from Earth
          Do we? I don't remember that being said anywhere. Maybe destiny was locked out like Atlantis so that it could only be dialled from Earth using the earth POO until its first connection from earth - at that point it accepts a connection from anywhere else afterwards.

I also don't remember seeing or hearing anything that suggests the POO has to be on the actual planet dialling from either (though its always been done in the show until SGU).

If you ask me, the POO is just an equivalent of a number / coordinate anyway regardless of the symbol used. We know that proclarushtaonous (if thats spelt right lol) could be spelt from gate symbols, whats to say some of them are not numbers too? If you ask me the whole thing was made up as they went along..

Comment

The problem I have with using the Earth POO for the Destiny gate is that it makes POO symbols superfluous. The show portrays two stargates establishing a wormhole without supplying a correct POO. Then why the hell have SG teams been dialing with a POO symbol all these years, if the stargates can automatically detect where you are make the necessary adjustment on their own? Blah

[/rant]

edit: let's not talk about how there aren't enough unique symbols for the many points of origin, even taking into account the re-use of symbols in differing regions of space.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
              edit: let's not talk about how there aren't enough unique symbols for the many points of origin, even taking into account the re-use of symbols in differing regions of space.
              This has always bugged me too although we know the POO symbol varies on each gate/planet as we saw when Carter and Jack came through earths second stargate. Even so, you'd still need millions of different symbols and that seems implausible when you think that star constellations will look different from every planet anyway - how would you recognise the POO from the others?

If you ask me, the whole thing was bonkers anyway. Sure it made sense for the destination but the POO thing was a red herring IMO. When you ring someone you don't dial their number and then type one digit from your own number do you? - Seems to me that the whole POO thing was just to add a reason for the USAF to need Jacksons services in the film to introduce him and the audience to the setup at the mountain. I never understood how the 8th chevron was supposed to be a distance calculation either. With the millions of galaxies out there, you'd need millions of symbols surely?

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                Seems to me that the whole POO thing was just to add a reason for the USAF to need Jacksons services in the film to introduce him and the audience to the setup at the mountain.
                It made enough sense, in the film, when it was just Earth & Abydos, with the speculation that there might be others. But it became unfortunate baggage for the TV series, forcing us to suppress the part of our brains that said, "Hey wait, there's a problem with that there system!"

edit: oh, wait. I wasn't going to talk about this.

Comment

People, it's just an error on the part of the writers. This probably steps from the fact that Earth's point of origin was physically on the Icarus stargate. That whole set was previous the SGC on SG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                    People, it's just an error on the part of the writers. This probably steps from the fact that Earth's point of origin was physically on the Icarus stargate. That whole set was previous the SGC on SG-1.
                    LOL, I didn't know that. SGC set = Icarus Base set = no discrepancy for point of origin!

Comment

Maybe that was the writers' plan. To somehow built an Icarus base somewhere on Earth in-series (probably where SG-1 had their base of operations), get a powerful energy source and finally, be able to connect to Destiny straight from Earth. The plot would go like this: Rush accidentally finds an interesting piece of information in Destiny's database and contacts General O' Neill via the communication stones. General O' Neill goes to Atlantis, goes trough the database there and finds another piece of information that could be useful to them. Then the Atlantis SG team goes to a planet and retrieves pieces of ancient technology along with some scientific liquid, which allows them to built the needed power source to dial the 9th chevron.
                      Of course, O' Neill has two power sources built - one for the Earth's Icarus base and one for Destiny, thus, allowing a two-way trip between the ship and the Earth. Of course, Rush helps out in modifying the ship's Stargate systems so they could use external power source with Destiny's gate to connect to Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by kalenc View Post
                        Okay, so last night I was watching SGU and noticed that when Eli mentions the address could be a code, Rush enters the current point of origin for Earth. If Destiny was launched when the Ancients were on Earth a very long time ago would not it have used the point of origin from the gate found in Antarctica? I'm going along with assuming that that gate was the primary one used by the Ancients until Atlantis was built or placed on Earth. Or did the code change with a gate update? Input?
                        That's a good catch, I never thought about that until now. Although I wonder if the POO has always been the one that Earth has had—since I thought the POO denotes the point in space that the dialer is originating from, not necessarily the gate—and the POO for the Beta gate merely changed when Ra brought the Alpha gate to Earth?

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                        I have wondered this as well. The problem is worse when you consider that the gate they used had a different point of origin too (different planet)
                        You mean the gate at Icarus? It was only different when they dialed a nine-chevron address anyway, which is an entirely different type of connection anyway.

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                        The problem I have with using the Earth POO for the Destiny gate is that it makes POO symbols superfluous. The show portrays two stargates establishing a wormhole without supplying a correct POO. Then why the hell have SG teams been dialing with a POO symbol all these years, if the stargates can automatically detect where you are make the necessary adjustment on their own? Blah

[/rant]

Eh, I don't know about that. I think POO's still matter, but when it comes to dialing a specific gate in the vast universe-wide network of gates, it makes sense to designate a POO regardless of the actual POO.

Kind of like when dialing a satellite phone as opposed to a terrestrial land line. If you were just to pick up your land line and dial internationally you'd dial a country code, area code, then the phone number. If you were dialing a satellite phone you would dial a specific set of numbers depending if the phone was provided by Inmarsat or another provider. So it's a somewhat similar principal.

Comment

*looks over the thread for the first time in days, wishes the Point of Origin's acronym wasn't "poo", especially for phrases such as "it makes sense to designate a POO regardless of the actual POO"*

Anyway, I find this whole thing rather distracting towards the plot, but I guess that is just me.
                          sigpic

Comment

This has been my long time bug with Stargate. The point of origin we have been using all along is he Ra one. It is not the original one intended by the ancients. Rush should have indeed have used the one found on the Beta gate. But, since the time of the movie, there was only one gate and it was Goauld tech, not ancient tech, there would be too much work to explain it.

Has anyone also noticed that the coordinates given in "The Pegasus Project", an ep of SGA, also have the Ra point of origin when Morgan La Fey shows them to Daniel?

Should have been the Antarctic gate's point of origin. In a way, that proves that point of origin really serves no real purpose when dialing out, except maybe to identify which gate is dialing. Probably can use any symbol after he last glyph as a point of origin. How would the receiving gate even know?

Comment

Part of me wonders that if the "At/Æt" symbol that has been used as the point of origin all of this time is Earth's actual symbol and it simply transferred, so to speak, to Ra's gate because the Beta gate was inaccessible. However, once the Beta gate was accessed by Carter and O'Neill in "Solitudes" a secondary point of origin was necessary to specify which gate the wormhole was originating from when there were two active gates on the same planet.

I would think that the point of origin doesn't necessarily change from the gate, because it's essentially designating what point (planet) in space you're dialing from. However a second point of origin would be needed to distinguish between two different gates that could be dialing from within the same point in space.

Going back to the phone analogy, when you have multiple gates occupying the same point of space, the point of origin may serve a secondary function of an "extension".

Was there ever anything that would suggest the contrary?

Comment

Working...
                              X