Ideas/brainstorming for a new Stargate spinoff/reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas/brainstorming for a new Stargate spinoff/reboot

Hey, I noticed another thread was sort of heading in this direction and was tempted to put some of the ideas I've had there; however I thought it might be a bit of a derail so I made a thread for everyone to pitch in and have a bit of fun chatting about the concepts they've come up with. I am in no way under the impression this will "lead to anything", I know Stargate will probably never grace a prime time TV slot again. But so what!? Everyone agrees brainstorming is the most fun part of the creative process. It's more social than writing fanfiction and avoids all those weird sexual couplings So here goes!

Steampunkgate: our new heroes hail from a planet with a 19th century level of technology. they ride through the stargate on horses, toting cavalry sabers and Winchester carbines. instead of a MALP they have trained monkeys that climb through the gate, find the nearest DHD and then dial home. If they don't manage within two minutes the monkey is presumed dead and the world off limits. Instead of an iris they have cast iron blast doors operated by more trained monkeys. They rely quite heavily on trained monkeys for many applications. A lot of episodes will focus on problems with the trained monkeys, how to obtain more monkeys, new planets with populations of really smart or abnormally docile monkeys, etc

The Quest For Pink Nebula: The year 2150. Interstellar starships based on development of Asgard technology have long ago rendered Stargates rather obsolete. That's when a couple of future stoners get wind of an ultra-strain of Pink Nebula skunk grown on a far off planet, and pooling their savings buy the antiquated gate at a local military surplus store. Bribing their fourteen year old genius sister with promises of zombie Justin Bieber tickets they get her to build a dialling interface out of the processing core of a Sega Stimsuit Ultraplus, and set off on the ultimate road trip to the stars. Starring Kal Penn, John Cho, and that kid off Modern Family

Heroes Of The Proletariat Gloriously Employ Interstellar Transportation Device To Benefit Workers Of All Nations: alternate history where the Stargate is discovered in North Korea. Our brothers beyond the sky instantly accept the superior philosophy of Juche and wave the protagonists farewell as they depart in a haze of ionized kimchi

Stargate - Back Home. This series basically showcases and explores the lives, loves, hates and indifferences of a group of SGC support personnel who never get to go through the gate or anywhere near it

Stargate - The Next Generation: Much the same as the old show. SG teams regularly bring their small children on missions with them. There are Goa'uld working at the SGC who despite the lingering prejudices of some of the Tau'ri are upstanding and dedicated members. Technobabble must be heavily employed by everyone. Oh and give them something called the Holiday Deck, it can go wrong every six weeks and give us a plotline

The idea I always had in my head was one about a very small team finding themselves in a galaxy where the resident ascended beings were the original pantheon of Greco-Roman Gods. An off-shoot of the Milky Way group that didn't believe in subjugation, but didn't believe in non-interference either, a group smaller than "the others", but large enough to make conflict undesirable, with a 'shielded' galaxy of their own. These ascended beings would take the mantle of Gods, and meddle in the affairs of the mortal races for their own amusement, the team of course being of obvious interest. The protagonists could be set on quests with the promise of help to get home, though admittedly 'getting home' might be a tired premise at this point.

I wouldn't mind seeing a British series centred around Glastonbury Tor, Stonehenge, Excalibur etc. I think the Arthurian mythology in general has a lot more mileage in it.

But as with all fan ideas, I have an ill-thought out premise or two and not much else

Comment

I just wish there was new Stargate
      sigpic
      My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
      poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by jaramo View Post
        Instead of an iris they have cast iron blast doors operated by more trained monkeys.
        I've always thought that the ultimate way show stopper would be a large round cork. Light enough to be manouvered by a few people yet put in the middle of the gate and the gate is rendered offline.

Interesting thought though, a pre-tech civilisation using the gate.. How would it relate to earth though? - It wouldn't. We know the gate was buried since the time of Ra so unless you wanted to go back to the days of ancient Egypt (which ain't a bad idea if you have a team of rebel jaffa using the gate on covert missions with the Tokra) then you're a bit stuffed.

I did however think that a new show "Stargate Lanteans" would make a great show. The Ancients come to the MW from their previous galaxy and we get to see them make their way across the Milky Way developing new tech and spreading new gates before coming to earth and building Atlantis. From there they continue doing their ancient things in every show dealing with new challenges, political issues, Asguard, Furlings etc. Perhaps even the odd straggler being accidentally sent back from our time OR the ancients having a device that can read time thousands of years ahead (hence their no interference rule - because they don't want to upset the timeline until a certain event has happened). We could see Atlantis not only being planned and designed but also constructed. The "task", design and launching of Destiny would also be a great event to witness. We could then see the show take a new exciting direction when they leave for Pegasus before having various new fights with the Wraith and gradually loosing. Finally (several seasons later) as the show draws to a close they return to earth and we see a few episodes of how they decide to live out their lives as their society collapses etc. The final episode could then end with the opening scences from the original SG movie.. kind of like a self fulfilling prophecy. As a final extra cool surprise we could even see the destiny mission being completed with our crew travelling back in time or something.. perhaps being the ancestors of the ancients themselves. Destinys mission being to find the original homeworld of the ancients ancestors, then travel back in time and put the crew there (consequently explaining why they've refused to be involved with us for fear of their own existence / timeline). Hey, those stasis pods were on that ship for a reason and without an ancient crew they were clearly intended to be used for something right?!

Comment

Honestly, it's been played out. SG-1 expanded the movie into a weekly TV series. When the show was in it's early seasons, I never expected a spin-off show. It just didn't strike me as being that popular. Atlantis came along and moved the adventure to another galaxy. There's no longer the issue of protecting Earth, just the city. This allowed for invasions to actually reach the homeworld (of Atlantis) with long lasting consequences. I never expected a ten-year-run, but I'd hoped for a long one. Five was long enough, it's what SciFi commited to SG-1 (Seasons 6-10). Really, the whole saga could have ended with "Enemy at the Gate," especially if that had been a two-hour finale. SGU seemed... unnecessary.

Do I miss SG-1 and Atlantis? YES! Do I want to see a fourth series? Not really...

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
            Do I want to see a fourth series? Not really...
            I'd love it! Especially if it wrapped up SGU / Destiny while giving us a better insight into the ancients.

Just imagine seeing Destiny when it was squeeky new like this:

sgu___destiny_gateroom_by_barroth1989-d37or71.jpg
            url.jpg
            Last edited by Energizer_Vs_ZPM; 21 February 2013, 05:23 PM.

Comment

The production team has moved on. A new series will have nothing to do with either. Realistically, a new show will probably be a reboot of the whole saga. I'd expect the movie retold as the first episode or episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                I'd love it! Especially if it wrapped up SGU / Destiny while giving us a better insight into the ancients.
                i'd rather it went back to the tried-and-true sg1 and atlantis type storytelling.

i don't mind sgu being mentioned (or dealt with), but i'd not enjoy another series in the sgu-type storytelling, or have the entire series about a team trying to find or rescue them.

for the new series, i'd go a bit into the future, bring in a new team, a new enemy (something not done before), and leave it open for sg1/atlantis characters to pop in once in a while.

this scenario keeps the history and mythology of stargate, keeps the gate open for guest appearances by the former stars, keeps the *fun* part of stargate, and... it just needs someones to *want* to do it.
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Interstellar starships based on development of Asgard technology have long ago rendered Stargates rather obsolete. That's when a couple of future stoners get wind of an ultra-strain of Pink Nebula skunk grown on a far off planet, and pooling their savings buy the antiquated gate at a local military surplus store.
                  Actually, I could see this one. Not the drug angle, just, stargates being obsolete enough so that a group of people can buy one. And then have something happen that makes them relevant again -- some reason the higher-tech stuff is destroyed/doesn't work/turned out to have a bad side effect, and now this group of people who bought a stargate for the hell of it are the only people left who can travel between worlds and galaxies.
                  sigpic

Comment

If the franchise ever came back, I'd want them to completely annihilate the tech curve.

What I'd like to see is kicking off the story directly after some galactic catastrophic event that affects subspace, turning our entire galaxy into a subspace instability like the Warp does in DoW 40k. That means no hyperdrive works. Stargates work but they are scrambled, as in they activate in an inconsistent manner. Destination addresses that are far away from the point of origin end up being random. The only way to ensure that the wormhole goes to exactly the right destination is to dial over very short distances. So a trip that could have taken one jump now takes several with stop overs to calculate the next gate to travel to.

Series would follow an SG team that was away on a mission when the subspace disruption occurred. Arc one would be them trying to get back to Earth while trying to pick up pieces of the puzzle as to why the catastrophe happened. The team would be forced to use improvised weapons and the way they use tech would also be very disjointed without a Carter or McKay to give the easy way out.

Season 1 might culminate in the team making it back to earth with the critical information that the rift was not random but part of a coordinated attack on our galaxy. That would mean that somewhere out there is an unknown enemy whose ships can get into hyperspace, giving them a major advantage over everyone.

Season 2 might cover a storyline where Earth's best chance of facing the threat is to find the Odyssey which was stranded somewhere in deep space. The Asgard database on it might provide the key to getting past the disruption caused by the rift.

Next season could be a departure but switching gears to the rise of the Goauld, a single surviving one who in the midst of the case, begins taking advantage of the tactical situation to take revenge on all the races responsible for the demise of the system lords.

In the grander scheme of things then, an overall theme that the show might move towards is that this new subspace killing enemy's attack was brought on by something the crew of the Destiny did or discovered.

That's my wishful thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                      i don't mind sgu being mentioned (or dealt with), but i'd not enjoy another series in the sgu-type storytelling, or have the entire series about a team trying to find or rescue them.
                      No I wouldn't really want the SGU saga continued either. While I would like a 3rd season of SGU as part of the new show I'd just prefer them to wrap it up and finish it giving us a conclusion somehow that makes it all fit together - that would be nice. If we get to see why it was launched in the first place and what its mission was then that would be excellent too.

As I said though, I'd prefer the new series to actually have more to do with the ancients themselves. That way we'll all get to see a bit more of our curiosity satisfied and find out more about the ancients way of life.

Comment

Great ideas folks, keep them coming. Here's some more I've had:

Stargate: Buddies. This is a lighthearted show about the crazy and complex lives of a close knit group of six 20somethings in 90s Manhattan. There's a neurotic paleontologist, a bad actor, a psychotic chef, a new age freak, a prissy rich girl, and a cynical jerkoff. They all have deep and enduring connections to the Stargate program but as they are sworn to secrecy this is never alluded to or mentioned on screen.

Stargate: Barflies.As above except with a group of barely-functional alcoholics in a dive in Boston. Features an iconic theme tune. Be assured there is a real connection to the SGC here which must remain secret due to national security

Stargate: Shrink. A spinoff of Barflies, this features one of the regulars being reassigned to the other side of the galaxy to host a radio show and bring the benefits of Earth psychiatry to the planet Seattle. as the planet is pre-spaceflight and everyone speaks English you may be excused for thinking its not on another planet at all BUT IT TOTALLY IS. maybe we can CGI some lumps onto Daphne's forehead i have no idea

Comment

Stargate has always differentiated itself by being a scifi show set in the present. I do not like prequels and alternative realities. Were different for all those visits to planets and no excessive use of ships (until lasts seasons). And humor and friendship (worry about each other) characters.
                          what i most miss and want back is: humor and friendship, today and not be stuck on a ship (four walls, as I am every day)

a hug to all

Comment

I think the best idea I came up with in the old thread was the idea of a deep-cover SG team infiltrating the Lucien Alliance. That's probably the only angle no one's really done with Stargate.
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

whatever drugs you're on, can i have some?

Great ideas folks, keep them coming. Here's some more I've had:

Stargate: Buddies. This is a lighthearted show about the crazy and complex lives of a close knit group of six 20somethings in 90s Manhattan. There's a neurotic paleontologist, a bad actor, a psychotic chef, a new age freak, a prissy rich girl, and a cynical jerkoff. They all have deep and enduring connections to the Stargate program but as they are sworn to secrecy this is never alluded to or mentioned on screen.

Stargate: Barflies.As above except with a group of barely-functional alcoholics in a dive in Boston. Features an iconic theme tune. Be assured there is a real connection to the SGC here which must remain secret due to national security

Stargate: Shrink. A spinoff of Barflies, this features one of the regulars being reassigned to the other side of the galaxy to host a radio show and bring the benefits of Earth psychiatry to the planet Seattle. as the planet is pre-spaceflight and everyone speaks English you may be excused for thinking its not on another planet at all BUT IT TOTALLY IS. maybe we can CGI some lumps onto Daphne's forehead i have no idea
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X