This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actors/actresses autographs not worth it from conventions

I don't understand something about you con visiting fans (besides the fact you would spend thousands to cross continents and oceans to meet them).

Their autographs - why do you want them? What does it prove? Considering all the fraud that happens related to autographs of athletes how can anyone know they are genuine?

Unless they're willing to sign a check from them to you (preferably with many, many zeros ) then why bother?

While I was viewing the thread from David containing the hi res photos of Shanks it seemed to me that unless Mr. Shanks was willing to let me tatoo cursively the phrase "Slipstream was here!!!!!!!!!!" onto his forehead then there is no real proof I ever met him.

But I think he might object - or at least his wife might- so I don't see the point.

just my reasoning here:

personally i don't care about whether OTHERS think they're genuine... it's just a nice way to remember your time at a convention and remember meeting the guys on and behind your favorite shows....

i don't care about money either... it's just a nicepersonal collector's item that personally i would not want to sell anyway... BECAUSE i view sigs as a reminder that you met that person (not to mention getting a sig is a great way to meet them in the first place ) so if someone else bought it the reason would be off in my opinion... cuz they did not meet them it's the same reason i will only get sigs fromin-person meetings, not from mail-ins or anything else

also it gives ya something extra to do, and it'll be fun collecting as many sigs as i can at gatecon this year it's a great way to show your support of the actors too... it's how things work nowadays... getting a signature (or asking for it) is a way of showing them that you appreciate the work their doing

just my 2 cents

Comment

yeah, its not about proving anything to other people, its all about for yourself. its a way of having a momento of meeting your your favorite stars face to face and knowing that they have now met you and seen your face. they arent going to remember you, but its still nice to have the momento of meeting them

Comment

It's a nice souvenier. It's like any souvenier that anyone gets when they have a nice weekend away. Most conventions include an autograph or six in the cost of the con, and you tend to get a few moments to chat with the guests as they sign. I have quite a few signed photos, and each one reminds me of a special moment. Like the photo that the make-up supervisor from Angel signed for me; she was a sweetie and we'd chatted the day before, and she was so full of interesting stories. Or the one Marina Sirtis signed for me and Mr W that says "Thanks for the Mars Bar" which reminds us of how she waved that mars bar in the face of Connor Trineer and said "Look, *my* fans buy me chocolate" and gave Mr W a big hug; it was really funny.

Not one of my signed pictures would mean very much to a collector, I know, cos they're hardly Marylin Monroe, and none of them are provable. But I like having them anyway.

Madeleine

Comment

Of course, you could buy autographs unbelievably cheap on eBay. Then you know they are fake... That's why we go to cons to get them. If people then believe they are real or not then depends on YOUR reputation.
          My 100 Mile Challenge!

Comment

I don't care much about autographs, but I do care about meeting new people (i.e. fans), actors and TPTB. That's why I go to conventions, not because of the autographs.

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
            it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
            It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
            And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
              yeah, its not about proving anything to other people, its all about for yourself. its a way of having a momento of meeting your your favorite stars face to face and knowing that they have now met you and seen your face. they arent going to remember you, but its still nice to have the momento of meeting them
              i agree there. It gives you a momment to be close to the actor. I always make a point of thanking them for attending the convention.

And at my last con (SG8) it was the third time that year i'd seen Teryl and DSD. They both recognised me.

Comment

Working...
              X