Reaching Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reaching Destiny

How about using Kelowna to power the gate to Destiny?

The planet has a Naquadria core, which although more unstable than Naquadah does hold more power.
    Just need McKay/Rush etc.. to find a way to stop the planet exploding.

Alternatively, Destiny itself must have records of millions of planets in the various galaxies it's travelled through in it's database. If there was one in a nearby galaxy we could take a short trip in a 304 and then gate from there to Destiny.

These planets don't seem that rare if we have already found a few in our own galaxy.

Ahhhh..... have you watch all SGU episodes?

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
      Ahhhh..... have you watch all SGU episodes?
      Yes. Why?

Comment

Was Kelowna the planet that was refusing to help?
        Will rewatch. I thought it was a different one. My bad if it was.

The second plan should still work though.

Comment

Thats a pretty big piece of information to overlook. Kelowna was mentioned multiple times in S2.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Ok, new theory..

The gates are all updated periodically and can run macros (as we know from the interstellar gate link in SGA). So, surely all the gates across the universe are able to communicate via subspace within their own galaxies?

Now we also know that all gates can be dialled simultaneously as demonstrated by the dakara weapon. So, here is my idea..

A macro is uploaded to earths stargate. It dials all other gates within the galaxy and transmits the macro. Each stargate then transmits its own details back (address, power source, max range etc) to earth while those gates that can dial to the next galaxy automatically disconnect and dial out to the next galaxy. The process then repeats - the macro is sent to the next galaxy where the process continues again - each gate reports back to the originating gate and those that can dial long range do so and spread it again.

This goes on until the galaxy where the destiny is and at that point, the process then goes in reverse - each gate in each galaxy that received the macro dials it's own galaxies long range gate that then dials back one galaxy and so on and so forth. Once a link has been established via a series of long range gates, a relay macro can be distributed to each gate that will relay from one galaxy to another. It would be like the interstellar link from SGA but on a larger, longer and more powerful scale.

Now that assumes that every galaxy has a gate that can dial out long range.. there are bound to be a few galaxies where the gates are damaged, buried etc so when the outgoing macro can't be sent to the next galaxy, a SG team (using the relay macro) can instead go as far as possible and hook up a stargate in that galaxy to a naq generator or one of those things made from Tealcs staff weapon in order to establish the next link.

It might take a while to fill in the broken galaxial links but it's still gonna be quicker than ever trying to fly destiny home through space!

Comment

For intergalactic wormholes it has been fairly well established you need ZPM ranges of energy. Most gates did not appear to be capable of this which is why additional power sources were needed in 2 Galaxies we have seen intergalactic travel from.

Assuming your Macro would work, they would need to find a gate capable of intergalactic dialing in each galaxy, disarm any security features, and then find the same in the next galaxy.

If all that was possible it is still unknown how much power would be required to get out of our local galaxy cluster and cross a massive amount of space to get to the next one. So far we have seen that takes an exploding planet to power.

Comment

Originally posted by Durgia View Post
                For intergalactic wormholes it has been fairly well established you need ZPM ranges of energy.
                So you're telling me that the little yellow glowing bottle of energy from Tealcs staff weapon is the same as a ZPM? O'Neill went to the Asguard home world in the Ida galaxy using that and the 8th chevron so I don't want to hear anymore about that ZPM being a 'requirement' for intergalaxial travel.

Most gates did not appear to be capable of this which is why additional power sources were needed in 2 Galaxies we have seen intergalactic travel from.
                We know in pegasus that other gates couldn't dial out of the galaxy as they didn't have the extra crystals but we don't know about other galaxies. I think it would be fair to assume that the ancients distributed some gates that could dial out but disabled them from doing so somehow with an inbuilt restriction that could be overidden in case of emergency.

Assuming your Macro would work, they would need to find a gate capable of intergalactic dialing in each galaxy, disarm any security features, and then find the same in the next galaxy.
                Thats just what I thought I said! (apart from the security thing)

If all that was possible it is still unknown how much power would be required to get out of our local galaxy cluster and cross a massive amount of space to get to the next one. So far we have seen that takes an exploding planet to power.
                Hang on, we know that a planet blew itself away providing the power to dial destiny directly. We don't know that would happen dialling another galaxy or cluster.

Again, it is a very long shot because there could be many galaxies without gates that could relay the wormhole which would need a team to visit and rig up but I think its still possible to achieve.

Comment

Sounds like it's worth a shot anyway. Even if it didn't reach all the way to Destiny it would open up some more galaxies for us to explore.

The Ori supergate also does not use an exploding planet, so I think that could be a red herring to say it needs an exploding planet. Maybe it's not meant that the planets with Naquadah cores are the only way to generate the energy needed, just that they were the only way that Stargate command was sure they could make work at that time.

Energy is Energy no matter what the tech that provides it so x number of ZPM's would work, y number of MK2 Naquadah generators.

The thing O'Neill made boosted the power output by 10 times, so it makes sense to say that 10 times whatever power source the SGC uses will reach at least the closest other galaxy. So would not be beyond even current Earth tech to build.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                    Ok, new theory..

The gates are all updated periodically and can run macros (as we know from the interstellar gate link in SGA). So, surely all the gates across the universe are able to communicate via subspace within their own galaxies?

Now we also know that all gates can be dialled simultaneously as demonstrated by the dakara weapon. So, here is my idea..

A macro is uploaded to earths stargate. It dials all other gates within the galaxy and transmits the macro. Each stargate then transmits its own details back (address, power source, max range etc) to earth while those gates that can dial to the next galaxy automatically disconnect and dial out to the next galaxy. The process then repeats - the macro is sent to the next galaxy where the process continues again - each gate reports back to the originating gate and those that can dial long range do so and spread it again.

This goes on until the galaxy where the destiny is and at that point, the process then goes in reverse - each gate in each galaxy that received the macro dials it's own galaxies long range gate that then dials back one galaxy and so on and so forth. Once a link has been established via a series of long range gates, a relay macro can be distributed to each gate that will relay from one galaxy to another. It would be like the interstellar link from SGA but on a larger, longer and more powerful scale.

Now that assumes that every galaxy has a gate that can dial out long range.. there are bound to be a few galaxies where the gates are damaged, buried etc so when the outgoing macro can't be sent to the next galaxy, a SG team (using the relay macro) can instead go as far as possible and hook up a stargate in that galaxy to a naq generator or one of those things made from Tealcs staff weapon in order to establish the next link.

It might take a while to fill in the broken galaxial links but it's still gonna be quicker than ever trying to fly destiny home through space!
                    I think this would work. But that would be A LOT OF Stargates involved. This would make a great epis... no... a great movie.

I actually imagined what would happen if... for instance all existing Stargates (and from all three series) would be active at the same time... That would be a cool sight to see and a challenge for the producers if they were to do such an episode. Or movie.

Comment

It was a long time since the first gates were placed. Pretty good chance that we would find an alien civilisation occupying some of those planets now. Maybe some friendly maybe some not.

Good chance they don'y know how to use the gates or didn't know of it's significance.

If our team gates in we could be unleashing another alien threat on our galaxy. Would make for a good show.

Like Mnikolic said could link all 3 series, if the aliens worked out how to use the gates and started coming through in several different galaxies at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post

There might be some reason why it wouldn't work though;

I seem to remember Baal helped to send the macro last time. If the Goa'uld had the ability to send a macro to reveal the location of all stargates then they would know about all stargates in the MW, yet we know that O'Neill added extra gates into SGC's computers that the Goa'uld did not know about when he had the knowledge of the Ancients.

It could be that the Goa'uld did know them all and the Abydos cart-ouch was outdated?
                        Or maybe only Baal had this knowledge an wasn't sharing?
                        In which case it might still work.

Comment

I suspect that the Goa'ulds only kept their own worlds on the cart-ouch to be honest. I doubt there would be much point in them keeping a directory of unfriendly worlds as it would lead to confusion as to where they could and could not visit.

I seem to remember McKay mentioning that there was an extended travelling time via the midway station route. Can anyone confirm this? (I can't remember).

I was just wondering, if the galaxial gate relay network were to work, how many galaxies destiny has ventured through over its millions of years and how long it would take a relayed galaxial wormhole to reach it. For all we know destiny could have covered 120,000 galaxies at a minimum or millions. I think we can safely say that the seed ships must have covered millions but destiny is following a path set by the seed ships so presumably it's a fraction of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Railgun View Post
                            The Ori supergate also does not use an exploding planet
                            I did see the episode where that was first used once and I remember the planet behind / next to it being collapsed into a sigularity. What I can't remember is was that to power the supergate or just to get shot of it?

Comment

I think the singularity produced when the planet was collapsed was the power source.

When they initially opened the wormhole to our galaxy they needed the weapons fire from our ships to power it, but later this is not needed when fully established.

Edit: Come to think of it, It might have been the weapons fire powering the collapse of the planet to form the singularity.
                              Last edited by Railgun; 01 January 2013, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X