Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone recognize these filters from the air scrubbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone recognize these filters from the air scrubbers?

I am thinking of making some of these scrubber wall panels from Stargate Universe to go with my sconces and I was wondering if anyone recognizes the grills. It looks to me like off the shelve parts, maybe from air filters or maybe some screen materiel made up. Anyone have any suggestions?

Not a clue I'm afraid.

What I did wonder however was how these were supposed to actually work anyway. Sure, they removed CO2 from the air supply but they didn't actually create new oxygen did they?! Where did that come from then?

I'm also curious how they replenished the air pressure in general when the ship was hit by weapons etc. In the episode where Park is blinded Eli opens the door to rescue her and lets loads of air rush out as he's not shut the previous door behind him.

Comment

Nope, sorry don't recognize them...

The filters didn't create new oxygen, but they did get the plants growing under the dome to do it. I expect the ship had some sort of pressure tanks holding spare air/oxygen to replenish supplies that had disappeared through leakage, although we haven't seen any in-story confirmation of that theory.

What really bugs me, though, is how people start to feel faint as soon as the air circulation system shuts down. There's quite a lot of air in the pressurized parts of Destiny, we're talking at least hours if not days before there should be any problems, rather than minutes.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
        What really bugs me, though, is how people start to feel faint as soon as the air circulation system shuts down. There's quite a lot of air in the pressurized parts of Destiny, we're talking at least hours if not days before there should be any problems, rather than minutes.
        Yes I thought that was a bad plot line too. As you say, the air wouldn't instanteously go bad the moment the system shut down, it would take a while. Likewise in Air part 3, as soon as they get the scrubbers cleaned the crew start beathing a sigh of relief as if it's done the job instantly and the reality is that it couldn't.

Comment

These wall features were created custom in the bridge studio wood shop, however there is a home depot right next door to the studio so that may be a good starting point for parts. From what i remembered, its all pretty much 3/4 and 1/4" plywood, 1/8"colored plexi, mesh, LED and low wattage incandesant lights, and paint.

The woodshop had the benifit of a CNC wood cutting machine that was used to make those fine detailed grill parts. the faceplate was i believe 3/4" ply and the CNC'd grills were 1/4" ply. wire mesh was applied to the back of the grills then the grills and colored plexi was applied to the face plate. what is not shown are the LED lights that were mounted behind the colored plexi, standard 12v LED source behind each plexy, and low wattage 25W incandesant behind the grills.

If you have no access to a CNC then a scroll saw and router might work for you.

I should mention if it helps that the faceplate was painted seperatly from the grills first then the grills were attached, then paint touchup (aging and rust colouring) on completed piece.

Now I must say that I was not in the construction department and I only saw the finished product, but that is for the most part how it was explained to me. if there were any prefabricated parts, then dollars to doughnuts you'll find them at HD.

Comment

Thanks for the great info. I am being sent one to copy so I will be making a few for a reasonable price.

Comment

Working...
            X