Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would WE react if WE found out the stargate was true ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would WE react if WE found out the stargate was true ??

So I was watching full alert (sg1) last night and it got me thinking one of my favourite questions, how would we, as in not the earth portrayed on tv but actually us now, react if we found out something like the stargate was real and we as a planet had in fact been visiting alien worlds and inter-acting with alien species?
    I love this question as it has so many possible answers depending on the current political state.
    I for one think that in this day and age, where we are constantly asked to suspend belief in order to enjoy entertainment, that we would have little trouble adjusting to the fact that WE ARE NOT ALONE.
    That is because we have all become so familiar with the concept of life outside our own that it would be a small step to go from possible to definitely.
    One of my favourite episodes from season 10 (sg1) is 'the road not taken' because it ask's these questions and answers them.
    So there it is,sgelite's 'hypothetical of the week' what do you think?
    Never Leave A Man Behind...or a Jaffa for that matter

Most of the world would probably go mad. The global audience of sci-fi that's even slightly familiar with these concepts is quite small, and pretty much limited to the Western world. Much of the rest, and even a significant minority if not majority of people living in the West are religious to some degree, and a significant minority definitely believes in some form of divine creation and intervention. For them, alien civilizations would be quite a shock, because it would require a complete readjustment of their beliefs. I bet most would not be able, or even willing to make that adjustment and would quite literally go crazy.

Even most of those familiar with sci-fi would probably react negatively, since it's one thing to suspend disbelief and accept fictional aliens, quite another to accept the reality. But we won't really know until it happens, if it ever does.
    sigpic

Comment

The world would probably riot.
      Note people: without technology, we're still savages.
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

The stargate is real - I have one in my garage. (Seriously, I do)
        Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post
          The stargate is real - I have one in my garage. (Seriously, I do)
          Cool, who built it?
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

It’s a very good question sgelite but the answer is harder. I agree with what maneth wrote.
            I do feel as if it really is a people thing, for me I would be fascinated with the idea but also pretty frightening (mostly though becuase I am a sci-fi fan and love the mystery of what's really out there) and I do believe that there must be more out there, who or what that would be I don’t know but feels that it would be to impossible, not to mention kinda sad, to think that that we would be all alone in the entire universe.

It’s funny because I have always felt that if there are someone out there and if they knew about earth and/or had the ability to get here I don’t see why they would because while we are very advanced we are nowhere near advanced enough to pose any kind of threat and if they were friendly, well, not only have we all seen E.T. from aliens pov but we also see every day what the people of earth tend to treat those that are considered different from who we are.

One thing we see on the Stargate shows is that usually there’s only one, maybe two different types of people occupying one planet, and I don’t think there have ever been one which is really similar to earth when it comes to populations (you know, 6 billion people etc.) and who knows, maybe an alien invasion is what earth would need to unite as one, though if there were an alien invasion I’m afraid that sadly that still wouldn’t happen.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
              Most of the world would probably go mad. The global audience of sci-fi that's even slightly familiar with these concepts is quite small, and pretty much limited to the Western world. Much of the rest, and even a significant minority if not majority of people living in the West are religious to some degree, and a significant minority definitely believes in some form of divine creation and intervention. For them, alien civilizations would be quite a shock, because it would require a complete readjustment of their beliefs. I bet most would not be able, or even willing to make that adjustment and would quite literally go crazy.

Even most of those familiar with sci-fi would probably react negatively, since it's one thing to suspend disbelief and accept fictional aliens, quite another to accept the reality. But we won't really know until it happens, if it ever does.
              Plus you would have the whole issue of so many being peeved off at the US govt (and the rest of the IOA) for keeping this secret for so long.. Especially here in the USA. Then you would get all sorts of groups demanding for the release of all the tech garnered, other groups demanding we shut it down permanently, or putting it under the UN's control.

Comment

Originally posted by Brie View Post
                <snip>

and who knows, maybe an alien invasion is what earth would need to unite as one, though if there were an alien invasion I’m afraid that sadly that still wouldn’t happen.
                My thoughts exactly.
                sigpic
                Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                  Cool, who built it?
                  A bunch of friends, now me and my boyfriend own it. It still needs some work and paint.
                  Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Bring it on I say.

Comment

How would I react? By demanding a one way ticket to Destiny

Seriously, might be a rust bucket but you just gotta love that incredible ship. Plus I'd love to get my hands on a bezerker drone lol. Such wasted opportunities there..

Comment

Stargate's not real, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                          Stargate's not real, folks.
                          Really? I never would have guessed.
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

I felt it had to be said from the way people talk on these forums. Sometimes, I really think some fans believe Stargate is actually real. I get letting the imagination fly, but at the end of the day, it's just a TV show folks.

Comment

No it didn't. No one but the really parnoid thinks Stargate is real
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X