This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like I'm speaking to a kid.

There is no such thing as right and wrong, these are constructs of the mind. Without the mind they would not even exist. Everyone’s mind interprets such vague concepts differently, based on your upbringing and personal experiences blah blah blah. That is a fact of life!! Dark and light likewise are perceived differently by every single individual as is colour; emotions ; anger ; excitement and every other thing that humans can experience.

From this basic construct, anything even more vague & nebulous like your opinion about a narrative and the meaning of endings of a particular TV Show or even what a TV Show should be etc etc.... is even more fraught with uncertainty and confusion. Each step away from ‘the direct person to person expression’ dilutes any possible communication to the point where no one can possibly know what YOU ACTUALLY mean by what you are say.

So if you really want to communicate with others say as little as possible and ask as many questions as possible to see if people actually understand what you mean. Telling us you ‘slamed a episode means zero, nothing, nada, ‘not a sausage’, ‘bugger all’.

Why waste words? Why waste our time?

The whole paragraph about why men or woman would not worry about their appearance [makeup & shaving], suggests to me a poor understanding of how societies organize themselves and how personal appearance is viewed by all to be important even critical.

This is not life during wartime in a ‘space battleship’, or scientist stranded in the arctic facing ‘The Thing’, these are a mixture of people living together and trying to make the best of a very difficult stressful situation. From my limited experience they will all behave differently and few will conform to anyone's narrow expectation.

I don't care that the stones seem unrealistic to you, they came part a parcel with the whole ancient space ship/ Stargate mythology. So I accept that as first step in the ‘suspension of disbelief’.
    SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

Your pointless psychobabble is hijacking the discussion, so I'll only be commenting on what's relative to Stargate: Universe.

Originally posted by psl1 View Post
      The whole paragraph about why men or woman would not worry about their appearance [makeup & shaving], suggests to me a poor understanding of how societies organize themselves and how personal appearance is viewed by all to be important even critical.
      JERICHO offered a far more realistic depiction of a community trying to survive on a day-to-day basis. They had far more luxuries than the crew of Destiny while enduring far more hardship.

This is not life during wartime in a ‘space battleship’, or scientist stranded in the arctic facing ‘The Thing’, these are a mixture of people living together and trying to make the best of a very difficult stressful situation. From my limited experience they will all behave differently and few will conform to anyone's narrow expectation.
      I don't really have a problem with the characters themselves. I was criticizing the fact that they brought more luxury items than they should have. If you're in an evacuation like the one depicted in "Air," you're not going to grab clothes and makeup. You're going to grab guns, ammo, knives, food, and tools to survive. No one's going to think about needing to shave. What would be more realistic would be if only a few luxury items happened to make it to the ship. Eli having his phone, only because it was in his pocket. Nail clippers, only because they were in the IOA lady's purse. You get the idea. Everyone should be dirty, greasy, and their clothes should be wearing out quite fast. One thing I do like is that scientist who was shot in "Air, Part 3," he's still wearing his blood-stained shirt, because he doesn't have another to wear. I hope to see more of that lack of resources. Another thing I like is that when they run out of medicine, that's it, no more. I wonder if we'll see them run out of ammo before the show ends? Imagine them in ripped clothes with beards and hand-made weapons. That'd be pretty desperate given the starship setting. Maybe they'll find a weapons cache as the show goes on?

I don't care that the stones seem unrealistic to you, they came part a parcel with the whole ancient space ship/ Stargate mythology. So I accept that as first step in the ‘suspension of disbelief’.
      It was stupid when they did it on SG-1. I've never liked the communication stone idea. The body swapping was fine in "Holiday" when it was done for laughs and for drama. Since then, it's just felt more like something out of a fairy tale than science-fiction. I can suspend belief, but not when science-fiction moves away from science in favor of fairy tale fantasy (like body swapping).

Comment

I asked a couple dozen women at work. The 20 something’s don't worry about makeup etc but all the older ones admitted that they never leave home without lipstick and eye mascara in there pockets at ALL TIMES. Such materials will last months if used sparingly.

So your statement that the show is unrealistic because the woman have lipstick and mascara in the SGU is based on ignorance on your part. All the military personel would have knifes and simplest form of shaving could be achieved with such knifes which could easily be kept sharp with small selection of appropriate rocks found on numerous planets. Ever gone camping?

The fact that you don’t consider this important is a sign of immaturity. It also cuts to the core of what criteria you consider important to gauge ...’what is or is not realistic’.

For example no TV show ever shows people going to the ‘loo’. Does that mean you conclude they don’t go, or are the writers allowed some ‘artistic licence’?

Next you will be telling us they all should have rotting teeth because ‘you’ don’t see any tooth brushes or tooth paste. Every ‘camper’ remembers how to improvise, like fashion a twig into a tooth brush etc etc.

BTW I don't consider JERICHO to be scifi .

As far as the Stones go, the whole Ancients Alien Space ship was already over the line to say nothing of humans across the Galaxy, so Stones look like a small leap in comparison.
        Last edited by psl1; 13 March 2013, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Just quietly, I think the makeup issue is that it is more subtle (certainly moreso than what they had in Air), I actually think this is more about the general aesthetics of Television rather than the situation they are, eg they make actors wear makeup to help presentability.

There are times where they don't but that is to put the emphasis on the fact they may not be feeling well or whatever

Re shaving, they managed to shave even in Ancient Roman times without modern things, so even if they only managed to get a few of those clippers on board they would all still manage overall. This is of course ignoring the fact that they all 'let it go' to a degree as you can see by the growing hair throughout season 1

Also, they do start to run out of stuff, but there is some often crafty yet strange ways for it to get replenished, especially the way they get two good condition shuttles in season 2. One thing I thought was a little odd was the fact the Lucian Alliance preferred "Earth style" weapons rather than the the energy weapons that were the norm in SG1. Although tbh it actually makes it more engaging as a drama, as the focus of the viewer is more naturally on the drama than some of the 'weird props' they are using shall we say so it was a fair enough call vy the writers

Comment

Good points all ...

I guess I just wish people would 'dial it back' a few notches and give the writers a basic amount of artistic licence. I marvelled at some of the attention to detail in SGU and loved the 'feel' of the ancient spaceship.

To that end I do owe Snowman 37 an apology for going over the top myself.

Sorry man.

Comment

I asked a couple dozen women at work. The 20 something’s don't worry about makeup etc but all the older ones admitted that they never leave home without lipstick and eye mascara in there pockets at ALL TIMES. Such materials will last months if used sparingly.
              Irrelevant, these are not people stranded far from home in a survival situation with extremely limited creature comforts. Ask them again when they're in that situation.

All the military personel would have knifes and simplest form of shaving could be achieved with such knifes which could easily be kept sharp with small selection of appropriate rocks found on numerous planets. Ever gone camping?
              I'll grand you this. I'd be interesting to see Sgt. Greer shaving with a big knife, scaring one of the civilians.

The fact that you don’t consider this important is a sign of immaturity. It also cuts to the core of what criteria you consider important to gauge ...’what is or is not realistic’.
              A sign of immaturity? You're just throwing that around to look smart. Point is, when you're trying to survive, how you look in the mirror is not exactly a top priority. These people aren't camping, and they didn't just drive to Destiny from home with plenty of time to pack their purses.

For example no TV show ever shows people going to the ‘loo’. Does that mean you conclude they don’t go, or are the writers allowed some ‘artistic licence’?
              What does this have to do with the conversation? Oh wait, nothing.

Next you will be telling us they all should have rotting teeth because ‘you’ don’t see any tooth brushes or tooth paste.
              Without access to proper dental care, yes. Not right away, but cavities will be inevitable.

Every ‘camper’ remembers how to improvise, like fashion a twig into a tooth brush etc etc.
              They're not campers, and they didn't come prepared. The soldiers will be prepared for improvising, but the civilians... not so much. Your comment here would be fine if it showed up in the show. I don't see improvisation. I see people looking better off than they actually would. In a show where every episode is a survival situation, character appearances matter.

BTW I don't consider JERICHO to be scifi .
              Did I call it science-fiction? Uh... that'd be a no.

As far as the Stones go, the whole Ancients Alien Space ship was already over the line to say nothing of humans across the Galaxy, so Stones look like a small leap in comparison.
              Space ships are a science-fiction concept. Body swapping, not so much.

Originally posted by Ausfan View Post
              Just quietly, I think the makeup issue is that it is more subtle (certainly moreso than what they had in Air), I actually think this is more about the general aesthetics of Television rather than the situation they are, eg they make actors wear makeup to help presentability.
              We're talking about people in a survival situation with little creature comforts and limited supplies, not a regular TV show where people have access to such things.

Re shaving, they managed to shave even in Ancient Roman times without modern things, so even if they only managed to get a few of those clippers on board they would all still manage overall. This is of course ignoring the fact that they all 'let it go' to a degree as you can see by the growing hair throughout season 1
              The whole letting it go thing is exactly what I'm talking about. I look forward to seeing a rougher, grimier, survivalist Destiny crew down the road.

Also, they do start to run out of stuff, but there is some often crafty yet strange ways for it to get replenished, especially the way they get two good condition shuttles in season 2.
              I've got no problems with inventive ways for the ship to be resupplied. I only ask that the show recognize that supplies will run out very quickly given that people only brought what they could carry.

I skipped the rest of your post, I'm not far enough into the show to know about Lucian Alliance plot elements.

I guess I just wish people would 'dial it back' a few notches and give the writers a basic amount of artistic licence. I marvelled at some of the attention to detail in SGU and loved the 'feel' of the ancient spaceship.
              As a writer, I don't dial it back when I write criticism. In fact, I'm prone to dialing it up and giving extremely heavy criticism. There is always room for improvement. I'll let artistic license slide, like the body swapping stones. It's complete fantasy, but I recognize that it was introduced to allow the characters to come and go from Earth without the stargate being involved. Afterall, if the stargate could connect to Earth, the show's premise would be radically different. I suspect this will happen eventually next season.

To that end I do owe Snowman 37 an apology for going over the top myself.
              Don't apologize, keep up the argument! I love a man (woman?) who can argue in a heated debate and keep up with me. We've just got to refrain from taking things personal. If I ever come off as attacking you instead of your argument, I apologize.
              Last edited by Snowman37; 17 March 2013, 08:23 PM.

Comment

You really are hopeless aren't you.

Comment

Got nothing nice to say?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                    I've got no problems with inventive ways for the ship to be resupplied. I only ask that the show recognize that supplies will run out very quickly given that people only brought what they could carry.

I skipped the rest of your post, I'm not far enough into the show to know about Lucian Alliance plot elements.
                    To be fair, I'm not sure how far along you are atm but they often do mention they are 'running low on food' at times and the "lack of recipes", and then there are episodes covering the lack of water and the restrictions in place (no "showers"). Some of it begins to be dealt with a variety of ways, eg on planets they go to plus there is the fact they brought seeds and they develop the hydroponics lab etc (with weird tasting "Tomatoes")

The whole letting it go thing is exactly what I'm talking about. I look forward to seeing a rougher, grimier, survivalist Destiny crew down the road.
                    This kind of does happen in an alternate timeline where they are stranded on a planet late in season 2, don't want to give too much away

Comment

Are you still watching, Snowman?

Just a quick question, what ep has been the best so far?

Comment

I love a man (woman?) who can argue in a heated debate and keep up with me.
                        *Cringe*

Comment

Kek, what are you cringing at?

Everyone, my last episode was "Justice." I plan to watch "Space" and "Divided" later tonight. From the first ten episodes, my favorite has been "Justice." The show is finally finding it's legs, and with Rush being left behind after framing Young, it looks like tensions among everyone is going to snowball out of control. I also liked the episodes "Light," "Water," "Earth," and "Time" (except for the ending). I was bored with "Air, Parts 1-3," "Darkness," and "Life."

Comment

I've got a pizza in the oven, then it's time for "Space."

Comment

You're welcome to think that. I found it very entertaining, even the hillariously bad episodes such as "Threshold." I

Heck i much preferred watching voyager to DS9.

What are they shaving with? I highly doubt that would be on the list of survival gear.
                              A boot knife.. As someone who has been in the military, we are required to shave.. even if we didn't bring razors.

JERICHO offered a far more realistic depiction of a community trying to survive on a day-to-day basis. They had far more luxuries than the crew of Destiny while enduring far more hardship.
                              Much agreed there.

I don't really have a problem with the characters themselves. I was criticizing the fact that they brought more luxury items than they should have. If you're in an evacuation like the one depicted in "Air," you're not going to grab clothes and makeup. You're going to grab guns, ammo, knives, food, and tools to survive. No one's going to think about needing to shave.
                              But when they were just told "GRAB THAT BAG, get through the gate" how are they to know which bag had the guns/ammo/food in, and which was someones makeup bag? Spend the time to go through it?

To be fair, I'm not sure how far along you are atm but they often do mention they are 'running low on food' at times and the "lack of recipes", and then there are episodes covering the lack of water and the restrictions in place (no "showers"). Some of it begins to be dealt with a variety of ways, eg on planets they go to plus there is the fact they brought seeds and they develop the hydroponics lab etc (with weird tasting "Tomatoes")
                              And they DID go through the almost out of bullet part, prior to the LA coming on board with all their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                                *Cringe*
                                Yes I know, Heated debate is pointless. If people can only have 'heated debate'; there can be no reasonable exchange of views -especially if the views are opposing.... or difficult to articulate [communicate] which they often are. There always will be people with opposing views, so we have to keep our emotions in check or it all breaks down.

Comment

Working...
                                X