Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU Season 2 not on bluray?!?

Hi Folks.

I am a HUGE Stargate Universe fan. I love all of Stargate but I thought SGU was very different and unique and really cool and interesting. I wanted to treat myself to the bluray release of both seasons of SGU (there should have been a lot more then two!!), but here in Ireland, Amazon.co.uk only seems to have season 1 on bluray. So I did some research and it turns out that season 2 never got a bluray release, only DVD!?! What happened??? Are there any plans for SGU season 2 to get a bluray release?

At this point I doubt their will be a release on blu ray. Conventional logic suggests for whatever reason MGM did not think blu ray would be profitable to them.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Season 2 of SGU is the only Stargate I don't own, for this reason. Shame, because it's a damn good season of TV.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      At this point I doubt their will be a release on blu ray. Conventional logic suggests for whatever reason MGM did not think blu ray would be profitable to them.
      ^ Pretty much this.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Season 2 of SGU is the only Stargate I don't own, for this reason. Shame, because it's a damn good season of TV.
        Snob
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Such a shame. I guess I'll just buy the DVD boxset then. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Maybe one day if enough DVDs are sold they might release it on bluray. Its a long shot but you never know.

Comment

I will express in yet another post of my rage in relation to this, you go to the effort of having season 1 in BD then just dismiss it for season 2 is plain rude and annoying collectors like me the world over, even if it was a special order I would throw money at the screen!

dvd is such a waste of a show like SGU >.<
              sigpic

Comment

Being rude and annoying is a small price to pay compared to lose money in profit
                Jelgate is right

Comment

I'm one of those folks that doesn't have a blueray player, and I can tell you that SGU is really quite gorgeous on the regular DVD.
                  sigpic
                  Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

it is decent when upscaled, but seeing season 1 in BD then s2 in dvd you noticed the difference, unless you are one of those people who plug an old dvd player into a 60 inch tv via rca with no upscaling and thinks its fine *shudders*

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    Being rude and annoying is a small price to pay compared to lose money in profit
                    There is that but also how many people have simply not bought the set because of the lack of HD offering, I know I held off buying the set until it was cheap as I refused to pay $50 for a dvd set of a tv show which was produced in HD and the first season is Available in that format also, I waited till it was $20 (Australia our everything costs stupid amounts of money)
                    Last edited by spratty; 13 December 2012, 09:06 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

I doubt a very small amount. I can't see a thousands of people refusing to buy a show they like because it is only on DVD and not blu ray. It doesn't make consumer sense.
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by spratty View Post
                        it is decent when upscaled, but seeing season 1 in BD then s2 in dvd you noticed the difference, unless you are one of those people who plug an old dvd player into a 60 inch tv via rca with no upscaling and thinks its fine *shudders*
                        Yeah it's absolutely no contest. Calling it decent is even being generous

I have first hand experience with people trying to call me an idiot for buying blu-ray. The people that say "I downloaded the DVDrip and I got it for free...just as good in quality as what you're paying for blu-ray....and when I play a DVD in my upconverting player I get full 1080p just as good as blu-ray." I used to get PO'd at the stupidity of those people but I just laugh at how dumb they are now.

There is that but also how many people have simply not bought the set because of the lack of HD offering, I know I held off buying the set until it was cheap as I refused to pay $50 for a dvd set of a tv show which was produced in HD and the first season is Available in that format also, I waited till it was $20 (Australia our everything costs stupid amounts of money)
                        Same boat here. I didn't want anything to do with it but I did end up getting it when Amazon had it on sale for 20 bucks or something. In 2012 it is ludicrous to make someone pay that kind of money for a DVD release. Not only for the reasons you specified but because it was broadcast in HD and is available through streaming like Amazon Instant Video (which I can't get here in Canada) and other services like that in HD. The only way we can't get it in HD is on home video and that baffles me. People don't realize how minimal the cost of releasing something like this is. It would be just as cheap, if not cheaper, at this point to do a run of blu-ray sets.

Once you get a taste of blu-ray you don't even think about buying a DVD again, unless specific situations like this show up. Since I started with blu-ray the only film I've bought on DVD was an indie that I had to own and didn't get a blu-ray release. Understandable. But even if you look at films like Another Earth for instance. Small indie flick, great movie, not a ton of exposure, but it got a blu-ray release. Happy to say I own it. I don't think at this point there is any excuse for a company as big as MGM to not release content that was shot in HD, broadcast in HD, etc. without including blu-ray.
                        Last edited by Brian; 23 December 2012, 09:38 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by dacooker
                        The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

I gotta say that the dvd content is ok, although there is a difference, the blue ray season 1 felt like watching a theatrical feature release with amazing sound quality, wheras the upscaled dvd season 2 feels more like hd digital tv. but meh, dvd content is better than no content.

Comment

Originally posted by spratty View Post
                            I will express in yet another post of my rage in relation to this, you go to the effort of having season 1 in BD then just dismiss it for season 2 is plain rude and annoying collectors like me the world over, even if it was a special order I would throw money at the screen!

dvd is such a waste of a show like SGU >.<
                            This

For me, the BD is fairly rare in Australia, had to end up paying about $70-$80, but frankly it was worth it

Comment

Working...
                            X