Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JMSwallow View Post
    Excellent question.

It'd be cool to hear what thoughts the producers on the show had about how they wanted the series to conclude.

I'd have Destiny find its...well, destiny. Go back to the original idea about the ship being sent out to find the first civilization in the universe, have the crew do that and give them some closure - a chance to go home for some, a chance to find something greater for others...
    That would be wonderful. Also, I don't know if it means anything to you, but I personally really enjoyed your novelisation.
    Morally Ambiguous Genius Non-Scientist.

ETG is also rambling inanely on DeviantArt | FFNet | Tumblr | Twitter

Comment

Reading the posts here lead me to think that don't allow a few more novels for SGU -- aside from the pilot -- was a concrete decission of the licence holder because of pure lack of interest in the last Stargate series. I very much doubt that anybody lost money with the one which was written. But, also nobody will earn big money with novelizations of any series, big money is made with TV shows which go on year after year, after year with really good and firm numbers.
      Ah well, it's really a pitty that we, well at least those who read fanfics, have to stick with the fanfics, not because they're not good, there are some out there who are awesome, but a authorized novel is a different thing, it's somehow more true to the original series, I think.
      Anyway, I really liked the one who was written, and I'd love to read more of those. In another universe. Maybe.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EasyThereGenius View Post
        Also, I don't know if it means anything to you, but I personally really enjoyed your novelisation.
        Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
        Anyway, I really liked the one who was written, and I'd love to read more of those.
        Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Out Now:
        Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
        Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
        "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
        ---------------------------------------------------
        Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Volker View Post
          Of course I know this is the case. I heard that a former SG actor (can't remember who) bought all the Destiny's sets and the like. I know there is no real hope for SGU but my personal ending for the show is that Destiny will return someday.
          I read that David Hewlett had purchased some of the sets. And Brad Wright had purchased one or two for his home.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            SGU died due to lack of ratings....meaning that not enough random, average people watched it. (and I'm not talking about fans or people playing online, I'm talking about average people changing the channel. those are the folks that keep a show on the air, millions of viewers, not a few thousand fans)
            Also every single SG fan that I know personally hated it. I did too. With a passion. Yet I watched it all, always hoping.
            I don't wanna beat a literally dead horse but posts like this sound like an excuse to me.
            "Sci-fi doesn't draw viewers" might be true but it doesn't apply. It purposely tried to abandon its sci-fi roots to draw in new viewers.
            Every interesting sci-fi possibility was dropped. Instead they "sent" people to earth *yawn*. You gotta fill 40 minutes you know.

Comment

Yea it really makes no sense that they wouldn't at least put a little effort into finalizing this series, like many of you said it takes very little money and effort to put out a series of novels to conclude what they've started and got us hooked on. We show so much support for what we love and then we're rewarded with non-existent or open-ended finales...it's not right

Comment

There definatily should be novels written...and novels could spark a rebirth and even possible movie releases!!

Comment

I'd buy the novel that finishes the SGU story. Happily. Gratefully. Maybe ten years from now, Brad Wright will let the cat out of the bag (or Schroedinger out of the box).

Comment

Freyr the thing is, there's nothing to let out of the bag. They never got that far. They only just finished season 2 then CANCELED.

Stargate will one day come back, the franchise was too successful for it to be dead forever. But that's at least a decade away, and SGU certainly won't get any closure. I don't expect novels, I was just wondering why we weren't getting any when it would be such an easy way to tie it all up.

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin View Post
                      Stargate will one day come back, the franchise was too successful for it to be dead forever.
                      Are you sure about that? I can name lots of big, successful shows that will likely never see a new episode ever again.

Comment

Freyr the thing is, there's nothing to let out of the bag. They never got that far. They only just finished season 2 then CANCELED.
                        False. They planned the series' ending long before it was cancelled.

Comment

Brad Wright had an end-story planned for SGU. It addressed the cosmic background radiation and Destiny's mission. I'd love to watch/hear/read that story. You're correct that the season three story got no further than ideas tossed around in the writers' room.

Comment

Originally posted by JMSwallow View Post
                            Actually, as I understand it, the Air novelization sold fairly well...
                            First of all, nice work on the SGU novel James.
                            I was not a Stargate fan when SG1 and SGA were on the air. I watched a few episodes here and there, but it never stuck with me until i saw the commercials on the SyFy channel showing that SGU was going to air. I knew before the first episode came on that i was going to be a fan and i watched the episodes every week for the two years that they aired. So it was a shocker in 2011 to learn that they were canceling the show. Some things MGM did not take into consideration when cancelling the show was that media is changing all the time. Not everyone had time or the opportunity to be sitting in front of a T.V. on the nights SGU aired. I personally had to find SGU over P2P downloads for months because i was working a second shift job at the time. Hulu aired the episodes one week after they aired on T.V. Did they look at total viewer ratings over several types of media at the time?
                            I know the arguments for getting the show back on the air are over and done with. The sets are gone, the actors have moved on to other projects. I originally held out hopes that since they wrote a three year gap in the storyline having the crew in cryo sleep that this would leave the possibility that MGM would pick up the series at another time when they were over their bankruptcy problem. But that hope is long since over.

So the question is, why is MGM holding on so tightly to the story rights of SGU that they wont allow any writers to put out published works? If it is the expense of publishing a paper book, why not the alternative of an Ebook? Theres Google Play, Amazon.com, ITunes, Nook, and Kindle to name a few..

Sorry for the long vent, it comes from 2 years of waiting for any kind of official continuation of the storyline for SGU. It's been a long time since i have really been a fan of a show, and SGU was it for me, it would just be nice if MGM would show some loyalty to the fans they had by giving us something..anything.

Comment

It's a shame that no Stargate Universe novels will see the light of day. I am going to buy the novelization of Air to get a slightly different angle of the story.

With hope the new Stargate Universe comic will be released soon.

Comment

I too was disappointed Fandy never published anymore novels for the series. I could understand them not doing it as the series was airing due to the arc based nature of the series but now that it's done, I was hoping we'd get to see a continuation like they've done with Atlantis. But from what I understand Fandy no longer has the license to publish new Universe novels and I don't think they think a market is there to make it worth going after it again.
                                sigpic
                                Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Working...
                                X