Why no novels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why no novels?

So we're still getting novels for SG-1 and Atlantis.

Universe is never going to conclude on screen, big, small or smart phone based. So why can't we get a few novels to continue to story? I just don't understand

Don't give up hope for a screened conclusion! D: Books will never be the same.

Comment

While I still hope for a screened conclusion for any of the SG series, it's better to write your own ending than to wait for a novel that might or might not ever be even written, let alone published, just like I'm doing. I'm already working on my own serial conclusion and I believe that I've come up with some interesting plots. I.E. just for myself. For all three series. I'm up to episode 19 for SGU, which will also work as a conclusion for SG-1 and also, I already have completed my serial ending for SGA as well.

I won't be publishing them, though, as I don't want MGM lawyers over my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin View Post
        Universe is never going to conclude on screen, big, small or smart phone based. So why can't we get a few novels to continue to story? I just don't understand
        There's no market for them.

Originally posted by Dale Volker View Post
        Don't give up hope for a screened conclusion! D:
        I guess you missed MGM's Chapter 11 bankruptcy, the auctions and sales of everything Stargate, and that management rejected all of Brad Wright's movie pitches. Everyone's been let go and has moved on to other projects. There's not going to be a movie. If there ever is another movie, I'd expect a remake of the '94 movie.

Comment

Mnikolic I don't think you really get it. How am I "better off imagining my own ending" that's just ludicrous. I appreciate the efforts of all the fans to try and get some fan made ending out there, but frankly I think so far they all fall a bit short either in plot or execution. Which is a bit sad.

Comment

There is a SGU novel.
            There is a novelisation of the 'pilot' Air. Written by James Swallow.
            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
            To thy own self... Be true
            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post

I guess you missed MGM's Chapter 11 bankruptcy, the auctions and sales of everything Stargate, and that management rejected all of Brad Wright's movie pitches. Everyone's been let go and has moved on to other projects. There's not going to be a movie. If there ever is another movie, I'd expect a remake of the '94 movie.
              Of course I know this is the case. I heard that a former SG actor (can't remember who) bought all the Destiny's sets and the like. I know there is no real hope for SGU but my personal ending for the show is that Destiny will return someday.

Comment

Mnikolic I don't think you really get it. How am I "better off imagining my own ending" that's just ludicrous. I appreciate the efforts of all the fans to try and get some fan made ending out there, but frankly I think so far they all fall a bit short either in plot or execution. Which is a bit sad.
                How is that ludicrous? The show has been cancelled for a long time now and MGM isn't interested in offering a conclusion of it to the fans. Like Snowman37 said, the current leadership has rejected ALL of Brad Wright's movie pitches. Everything Stargate was sold or auctioned off and everyone moved on. Yeah, some of us are still hoping for a screened conclusion, but even I know that the chances of that happening are very slim to being none at all. There are still some of us who can't accept that our beloved TV show got a foot in the *** and that there will be no more seasons or movies that could end the story. So us, fans doing fan fics is the only way for us to be able to come up with our own ending and thus, to finally be able move on. That worked for me when I wrote my SGU movie trilogy idea. It felt like some big burden just got off of my back. And it felt great. I'm only doing more fan fics for myself (although I no longer feel the need for it) because I like it and because I have a certain respect for Stargate - not just as a TV show, but as a franchise as well.

I also finished my ending for SGA as well and now that that's done, I will finally be able to sit trough the entire 3 SG series when I start re-watching them in 2013 without feeling the need for an definite ending as I will already have an ending of mine in fan fiction form.

Of course I know this is the case. I heard that a former SG actor (can't remember who) bought all the Destiny's sets and the like. I know there is no real hope for SGU but my personal ending for the show is that Destiny will return someday.
                The one that played McKay on SGA bought some sets. At least that's how I heard it/read it somewhere. But I think that he had the sets modified for his own personal usage so he could make some money off of them. I don't think that he atually kept the sets intact and that he bought them just because he felt like it, without being able to earn at least something on them. So if SGU, thanks to some wired miracle, ever comes back, I think the (new) producers will have to re-built everything themselves.
                Last edited by Mnikolic; 25 November 2012, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Mnikolic. I've read enough of your fanfiction to know that I do not like it. Nothing personal it just seems ..... well bad. Sorry dude.

Comment

Fan Fiction is never canon (obviously) and so it never gives me a sense of completion. It may be interesting, but in the end, it doesn't change what really happened.

Comment

SGU does not get novelisations because not enough people were interested in it, it's story, or its characters. People may find them intersesting, sure, but not enough to make it viable from as Sales position.
                      Sorry
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Mnikolic. I've read enough of your fanfiction to know that I do not like it. Nothing personal it just seems ..... well bad. Sorry dude.
                        Well, everyone has their own opinion. So no hard feelings taken.

Fan Fiction is never canon (obviously) and so it never gives me a sense of completion. It may be interesting, but in the end, it doesn't change what really happened.
                        I know, but I like to imagine that it does. I know Fan Fiction is never officially cannon, but it is to the writers of their fan fics. at least that's how I think about fan fics.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        SGU does not get novelisations because not enough people were interested in it, it's story, or its characters. People may find them intersesting, sure, but not enough to make it viable from as Sales position.
                        Sorry
                        Besides, SGU lost a million viewers during its first season and the show's raitings dropped bellow one million viewers by the start of the last batch of episodes of season 2. The last few episodes did improve the raitings a bit and might have gotten some viewers back, but obviousely not enough for the new MGM's leadership to keep the series going. There's not enough interest in SGU (i.e. there wasn't) and why would someone write and publish a novel, based on a TV series that didn't take off as intended by its producers/writers?

Comment

SGU died due to lack of ratings....meaning that not enough random, average people watched it. (and I'm not talking about fans or people playing online, I'm talking about average people changing the channel. those are the folks that keep a show on the air, millions of viewers, not a few thousand fans)

Given that the show could not garner enough interest to stay on the air, MGM won't invest thousands and thousands to publish a novel that won't sell enough copies to pay for itself.

'You' as a person may have loved the show, but it takes millions and millions of viewers on a weekly basis to keep a show on the air. IIRC, SGU averaged far less than that on a weekly basis.

IMHO, if the franchise ever comes back, it will be a reboot/remake of the original movie, or a series set in the same universe but with different actors and creative staff. MGM is gonna focus on the more profitable James Bond first, obviously. The financial state they're in they need sure bets not risky investments. Stargate is, right now, a risky investment.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

That's true. It's sad, but very very very true.

Comment

I'm guessing it's because the first one sold really poorly. It's a stupid indicator really though, as it was only a novelization of the pilot. Hardly indicative of the sort of number they could expect if they made a genuine canon continuation in novel form.

Comment

Working...
                              X