Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are you coping without the SG franchise?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are you coping without the SG franchise?

Hi guys

Well here in the UK, the last episode of SGU is due to be screened on Saturday. I've already seen it thanks to other sources but thats besides the point.. on Saturday its on the telly so it has to be watched

Anyway over the last few days its dawned on me that after that it's curtains - no more SGU. Then I came here to gateworld and after reading a few posts, seeing a few websites like propworx I realised that the entire SG franchise had come to a crushing end due to the early SGU badness in season 1.

To say I'm gutted is an understatement. I'm close to tears if I'm honest. I've been a fan of the SG franchise for 14 years and this is how we're treated for my loyalty? I could understand them taking a break for a few years to see if the demand is there for a new season but selling off the props from all 3 shows is not only brutal it's plain cruel and destruction of our show with the intent of sabotaging its return.

So, now we're never going to know if Eli lives, whether the destiny crew will wake up or if they ever find a way home. It's a real gut wrencher. 14 years of my life went into the SG franchise and after all those years wondering what the 9th chevron does, where the stargates are made, how they're put on planets and by who etc we got a 5 second glimpes of a dead stargate factory.

I'm out of work at the moment, I don't have any friends or family, nothing to keep me going etc.. and SGU was like my weekly thing to look forward to and keep me going. Now its gone there is nothing left to keep me going anymore. So guys, how are you all coping with the lack of SG?

There's an interview with David Blue on the GW home page, in which he says he knows how the series is supposed to end but he can't tell anyone. And my optimistic interpretation of that is, maybe the writers still think it's possible they'll get to do at least a movie to wrap things up, because otherwise why hold back this information? Or at least if it were me, I'd have mercy on the fans and tell them how it ends.

But as to your question - I cope with the end of a series by looking for another one to get lost in. And if I can't find anything new, I rewatch an old one from start to finish, which I have learned is much more satisfying that dipping around in favorite episodes and moments because you don't get the cumulative effect that way.
    sigpic

Comment

I've been a Stargate fan for about 11 years myself, and it is a bit of a bummer to think it's all over. However, that's what Gateworld is for! I still seem to have lots of Stargate goings-on thanks to this site

I'm enjoying doing a full SG rewatch at the moment, and it's a lot of fun! I've been doing review posts for each episode on my blog, and discussing the episodes on here with others (many of whom are also doing a rewatch). Why don't you give something like that a go? I've seen SG-1 episodes in particular so many times already, but watching them this time around with in-depth reviewing in mind, even I'm noticing little details I might otherwise miss, so it's nice in that sense to still get something new from the show after all this time I like the idea that one day I'll have a full archive of Stargate reviews on my blog for myself and others to look through as well
      sigpic
      Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

Well, for me the ride ended with 5.19 Vegas on Stargate: Atlantis. Everything behind that was ... not so good in my opinion.
        How I cope without? Well, after sticking around for some more years I finally moved on this year. Not completely because I simply have found to much great friends especially on this boards, but the franchise is pretty done for me *shrugs*.
        And I doubt that there will be anything Stargate-related from the former TPTB anymore. I still think there will be some new SG in the future but with new people, new producers and writers.

But ... I'm wondering, Universe just ended last week in UK? WOW! That's really pretty late. I know in some parts of this world Universe were cancelled during season 1 but that especially UK needed so long to wrap it up ... that's weird!

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
        Sig & Avi by Josi
        sigpic
        LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
        I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Assuming its on a terrestial channel or soemthing? Sky usually broadcasts it sooner after or even before in some cases the US release.

edit: as for how I cope? Umm... well i have a life and interests outside of Stargate?
          sigpic
          Banner By JME2

Comment

Very well. I don't even miss it. There are plenty of other things to watch and do.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
              But ... I'm wondering, Universe just ended last week in UK? WOW! That's really pretty late. I know in some parts of this world Universe were cancelled during season 1 but that especially UK needed so long to wrap it up ... that's weird!
              Yes it's on pick TV (a digital channel owned by Sky). The final episode is tomorrow hence the sadness. When they first aired it, they were showing two episodes every week as a double bill. It didn't take long to see why - it wasn't great after 'Light' but it picked up again towards the end of season 1 and at that point, PickTV cut the double bill down to one episode per week. I'm grateful that we at least had both seasons but I am still really disappointed that its ended.

@min_min_light: Yes I've read that interview (actually I was just reading it before I came back here and found your reply lol) and I'm glad to see at least that Eli survives but at the same time I'm also really gutted that he (and the others) knew how the show would continue and we the fans will never find out. The sets have been demolished, the props have been sold off.. heck even the captains chair and consoles from the bridge are on ebay right now for $10k! Linky. I read somewhere that the set cost $20million to build along with the props. Now MGM have sold them all off, can you really see them ever spending that money again to revive a show they thought was failing? - I sure as hell can't and thats why the interview with David makes me sad.

Comment

Very well. Just because I enjoy the franchise doesn't mean I despair when it's not on.
                sigpic

Comment

I understand how you feel, Energiser, I felt the same way. I remember the morning I read it was cancelled, I was so upset I cried. I loved Stargate from the beginning, but I loved SGU the best. Probably because I was at a point in my life where I needed what SGU offered, how real folks could be both good and evil and eventually came to an understanding and made it work despite themselves. Which is the realization we all must come to eventually.

As far as coping, well, it took quite a while, and I still am missing it. Hence here I am. It is rare these days that I find a show that speaks truth in human nature as well as SGU did. I don't watch that much stuff anymore, I am a busy person, so I prefer to be challenged and have food for thought in my viewing choices. That's what makes entertainment for me, something that stays with me. The older I get, the harder it is to find stories that are interesting and ring true. It's callous IMO when people say "move on and get a life". I have quite a life going, thank you. But having a show that touches you is priceless.
                  sigpic

Comment

Just for the record Universe ended in the UK at the same time as in the USA in fact I think it aired here before the US due to your schedules! I guess this guy has just caught one of the many re-runs but for the first time.

But in answer to the question I love Stargate and I still hope that something else will happen ( I think I am one of the few that are fairly sure that we will hear about somthing happening with SG within the 6 months). However and I dont mean to sound callus but if you have no friends or family may I suggest you get away from the TV, go out and join a club or anything.

As I say I dont mean it in a mean way but I think you need to get out and invest your efforts in to forming relationships You may have a lot to offer people so dont waste it.

Comment

Originally posted by initial View Post
                      Just for the record Universe ended in the UK at the same time as in the USA in fact I think it aired here before the US due to your schedules! I guess this guy has just caught one of the many re-runs but for the first time.
                      Ah, thanks for clearing that up, when I saw the OP's post that part did confuse me. I'm in the UK myself and could have sworn Universe had already long-since ended here. We have at least 3-4 channels showing different stages of SG re-runs here atm though, so that makes much more sense.
                      sigpic
                      Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                        Anyway over the last few days its dawned on me that after that it's curtains - no more SGU. Then I came here to gateworld and after reading a few posts, seeing a few websites like propworx I realised that the entire SG franchise had come to a crushing end due to the early SGU badness in season 1.
                        Pretty much, stuff was being auctioned as early as production on the second season.

To say I'm gutted is an understatement. I'm close to tears if I'm honest. I've been a fan of the SG franchise for 14 years and this is how we're treated for my loyalty? I could understand them taking a break for a few years to see if the demand is there for a new season but selling off the props from all 3 shows is not only brutal it's plain cruel and destruction of our show with the intent of sabotaging its return.
                        Brutal, plain cruel, sabotaging it's return? The ratings were in the toilet. Brad Wright's proposed DVD movie pitches did not interest the studio who was also going through Chapter 11 bankruptcy at the time. It was a business decision, that's all. It had nothing to do with being cruel nor sabotaging an already dead franchise. TV shows inevitably end. Instead of cry'n about how the franchise ended, why don't you smile that you got not one, but two spin-off shows?

So, now we're never going to know if Eli lives, whether the destiny crew will wake up or if they ever find a way home. It's a real gut wrencher. 14 years of my life went into the SG franchise and after all those years wondering what the 9th chevron does, where the stargates are made, how they're put on planets and by who etc we got a 5 second glimpes of a dead stargate factory.
                        Blame Brad Wright for this disappointment, he was the man in charge.

I'm out of work at the moment, I don't have any friends or family, nothing to keep me going etc.. and SGU was like my weekly thing to look forward to and keep me going. Now its gone there is nothing left to keep me going anymore. So guys, how are you all coping with the lack of SG?
                        I understand being out of work, we've all been there. As for no family, I'm truly sorry for that. I lost my momma back in July, so I can imagine how you feel. Friends... do you have the means to go into town? Friends are pretty easy to find if you have the means to go into town. Do you have a pet? If you live in an empty house, having a cat or dog will drastically ease your loneliness. Do you believe in God? Are you a Christian? I know that whenever I have dealt with true loneliness, Christ has been my stone anchor to cling on to when the waters of life try to wash me way. It's OK to look forward to a TV show, and it's OK to be bummed when it ends. One of my favorite shows was Star Trek: Voyager. It was on TV for seven years, and it was the very first show I followed start to finish while it was new. It was awful seeing the final season promos, but when I saw the series finale... my mom and I cheered at the ending. haha Back to Stargate, yes, it's awful that it's over, but there are other TV shows you can watch. Movies, books, or you could take up writing (as I have) and create your own, original adventures about anything your mind can imagine! However, I think what will do you more good than anything is to try to get to know God better (if you haven't already) and go into town! On days where I'm home alone, that's what I do.

Comment

I started watching Smallville.
                          SOMEBODY SAAAAAAVE MEEEEE!!!!
                          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Jolinar_of_Malkshur View Post
                            I'm in the UK myself and could have sworn Universe had already long-since ended here.
                            PickTV tomorrow evening at 9pm (freeview channel 11 *i think*) will see the final episode. Until it started on PickTV I never knew it had aired here!

Comment

I discovered the Stargate Franchise in 2006 and I fell in love I have all of SG on DVD but I miss SG I am glad this SG site is still doing well because other SG sites I have been to are completely dead, I am still hopeful that we might get some new SG some time in the future don't know who will do it but I have hope.
                              sigpic
                              My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                              poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Working...
                              X