Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we know what the eagle head was all about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we know what the eagle head was all about?

Hi guys!

I'm just wondering if we have any idea yet what the eagle head on Destiny was all about?

I'm talking about the eyes and beak looking things on the front. The eyes look like they clearly have retractable shutters over them and the beak clearly has a line around it making it look like it's supposed to open.

Look - I've pointed out what I mean:

As well as having self intelligence it looks as though destiny was actually supposed to resemble a living creature but one with some sort or purpose. Initially I thought the eyes might be missile launch tubes but they're too big and it appears that the crew established the weapons capability already with the 'big' weapon.

So do we have any ideas?

I think its just aesthetics.

Comment

I'm not seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        I think its just aesthetics.
        I initially thought the same but after some thinking the ancients did everything with a practical purpose even if it wasn't immediately obvious. Look at the ninth chevron for instance. It was there for years and we never had a clue why and nothing was mentioned about it for a long time either. I think this is another one of those ancient technologies that was supposed to be covered at some point but having missed a few episodes I just wanted to see if it had been brought up at any point.

Comment

No it was never bought up, same with other elements on the hull.

I suspect the producers ask for stuff to be built into the 3d model that look like they were hiding stuff, had a purpose, so that if in the future they wanted to give Destiny a ex deus machina ability/technology for a story line they could stay it was hidden inside the hull, other elements such as the energy extractors and the bridge are retracted inside the main hull.

Comment

It could just be that that particular shape is more efficient for moving through FTL and stellar atmospheres.
            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
            - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
            - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
            - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Or for some other reason. like maybe to make other alien life forms think the ship was one giant bird..

Comment

I still think its some sort of payload that has something to do with its "meaning of life" type mission that the ancients sent it out on.

Comment

Maybe the writers intended to give it a story in one of the later seasons. The eyes were either some kind of lasers or were put there with the intention of preforming some kind of function that would probably have an effect on a part, certain parts of the ship or maybe even on the whole ship althogether.

My guess is that somewhere, Destiny would encouter something that it could dock with (like a space docking or repair station) and would either provide Destiny with extra energy or with the needed repairs that it needed to get. Or maybe there were a dozen stations there, each providing the ship with new data, extra energy or spare parts being added to the ship's damaged areas, eventually providing the crew with a fully finctional and a fully powered-up Destiny.

Either that or the eyes would eventually provide the crew with a way to finally dial the 9th chevron and establish a stable wormhole connection to Earth by using the energy of a special type/generation of stars until the ship would be able to dial the 9th chevron using its own energy and systems.

Comment

Or they could just be covers for the ships sensors...

Comment

the ancients weren't the best about practicality. their biggest ships weren't even airtight. yes i am mad at the entire shield dynamic of Atlantis

Comment

Working...
                      X