Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could a Lantean battleship have knowledge of Destiny's location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    Well as i said above, i could maybe see in an aurora's data base a list of prior lantean projects.. with the destiny showing up.. but nothing on it other than the name.
    When you fly on a Boeing 747 do they have a history of their previous aircraft designs?

A battleship is just that: A battleship. Not a strategic command post or even political meeting point. It's a fighting machine.

Comment

Perhaps, perhaps not, sounds like the Destiny was a top secret mission and wouldn't have been common knowlege. Then again perhaps it's the official mission that was secret, might have been disguised as a general research mission, as sending out all them seed ships would be pretty hard to cover up

Not sure if there would be mission info specifically on an Ancient warship, but if someone high ranking who did know hypothetically came on board, I think their technology may have been advanced enough to allow them to develop a way to track it if they really tried. Obviously there are vast differences involved. Plus there is factionalism, depends which societal factions were behind creating Destiny originally, how the factions evolved over time and which factions ultimately ended up being involved in the Pegasus galaxy, basically we know some ascended and some did not,

Made me think of that SGA episode where the Whale like creatures cause flashbacks, with the guy on the much more modern warship being injured by a Solar Flare, while you have Destiny which is much older being able to fly "through" Suns/Stars to regenerate which presumably wouldn't have suffered the same adverse effects...

An intriguing idea though, always wanted to know if Destiny could somehow contact an Ancient warship for help. Distances too great to allow for it practically. Being able to outfit 'rustbucket' Destiny with some more modern weaponry was an intriguing idea too, came to me when Rush was looking at the old school weapons system of the other Destiny in Twin Destinies

Comment

Originally posted by Ausfan View Post
        I think their technology may have been advanced enough to allow them to develop a way to track it if they really tried.
        I don't think they needed to try. The communication stones work perfectly well so what makes you think that destiny couldn't communicate with the Ancients? Just because it's not shown on the show doesn't mean destiny wasn't kitted out with long range subspace communications.

Originally posted by Ausfan View Post
        An intriguing idea though, always wanted to know if Destiny could somehow contact an Ancient warship for help. Distances too great to allow for it practically. Being able to outfit 'rustbucket' Destiny with some more modern weaponry was an intriguing idea too, came to me when Rush was looking at the old school weapons system of the other Destiny in Twin Destinies
        I don't think the Ancients were planning on letting destiny be shot to bits. That ship has survived millions of years so it was clearly tooled up with the best shielding and defence cannons available. Don't forget the ancients were around in the early universe so they still had the upper hand when it came to technological developments.

The ancients were the most powerful race to ever exist in the known universe. True there may be other races out there just as powerful (if not more) but any other race would know that a ship as tooled up as destiny would be a match and if destroyed, would be investigated by another ship which could carry superior weapons to it.

Comment

The ancients were the most powerful race to ever exist in the known universe. True there may be other races out there just as powerful (if not more) but any other race would know that a ship as tooled up as destiny would be a match and if destroyed, would be investigated by another ship which could carry superior weapons to it.
          A race sufficiently advanded to destroy Destiny would indeed understand the danger of the technology lag.

Destiny is a snapshot of Ancient technology. If an alien race found it and noticed it's age, they'd know that the current Ancients would be far superior to that. This is obviously why the Blues wanted to capture it (in stead of just destroying it).

Comment

Originally posted by YceQueen View Post
            Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I thought of this earlier, and I'm curious.
            If the Atlantis crew would find another lost Lantean battleship (let's pretend Atlantis is back in the Pegasus for this to work), could it be possible that this ship would have knowledge of Destiny's location? Since these ships were build long after Destiny was launched, maybe some of Ancients working on Destiny eventually came to Atlantis, and while building their battleships, they created a 'tracking system', for lack of better word, to keep track of the seedships and Destiny?
            I know that nothing like this was mentioned when they found the Aurora and the Orion, but they didn't have a lot of time exploring either ship, so is it possible?

If so; say they find a battleship that isn't too damaged. They can fix it, get it to work again. Would Rodney and the other scientists be able to somehow create a wormholedrive, with the knowledge from the one they have on Atlantis?

Just guessing and speculating here...
            It seems neither practical nor secure to keep information about that on one of the battleships. Assuming that the Lanteans had maintained the records immaculately enough over the millennia that all the relevant data on Destiny was preserved, keeping it somewhere other than Atlantis could be a security risk. It also seems like it wouldn't be relevant to anything that a battleship would be assigned to do, so no sense in taking up valuable storage with information on "ancient" ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
              It seems neither practical nor secure to keep information about that on one of the battleships. Assuming that the Lanteans had maintained the records immaculately enough over the millennia that all the relevant data on Destiny was preserved, keeping it somewhere other than Atlantis could be a security risk. It also seems like it wouldn't be relevant to anything that a battleship would be assigned to do, so no sense in taking up valuable storage with information on "ancient" ship.
              I hear what you're saying, but there could have been a number of reasons for them to do this. During the Siege, there was the constant fear that Atlantis would fall into the hands of the Wraith, and we know the Lanteans, had submerging not worked, would rather have destroyed their city, than allow the Wriath to take control. If information about Destiny was stored only in Atalntis' database, then that information might have been lost forever. To prevent this from happening, it could be possible that some Lanteans decided to upload the information in the database of their ships. Encoded, locked away, and in Ancient of course, perhaps even only allowed to be accessed by someone with Ancient dna.

This is all just speculation, obviously, but it seems rather strange to me that IF some of Destiny's designers and/or crew had indeed gone to Alantis afterwards, that they wouldn't do everything to keep this information. It might have been an abandoned project, but its task was still very important...

Comment

This is all just speculation, obviously, but it seems rather strange to me that IF some of Destiny's designers and/or crew had indeed gone to Atlantis afterwards, that they wouldn't do everything to keep this information. It might have been an abandoned project, but its task was still very important.
                It would be WAY safer to upload that data on-the-spot rather than keep it backed up....

Anyway, the only reference to Destiny found in Atlantis was the 9th chevron address. As noted above, the project was effectively cancelled, so it's unlikely that data was being hoarded on Atlantis, and it's unlikely any data other than the address exists in Atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  It would be WAY safer to upload that data on-the-spot rather than keep it backed up....
                  Except that if it would be a massive file, it might take too long to upload it that fast.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  Anyway, the only reference to Destiny found in Atlantis was the 9th chevron address. As noted above, the project was effectively cancelled, so it's unlikely that data was being hoarded on Atlantis, and it's unlikely any data other than the address exists in Atlantis
                  Actually, that's not confirmed. It was confirmed by McKay that they found a 9th chevron address they had no idea of where it would lead to, but no one ever said that's all there was to it. It might very well be possible that the Atlantis database held much more information about Destiny, but perhaps under a different name, OR they (the Atlantis expedition crew) simply never got to that part yet. If they didn't know what to look for, if they didn't know that the 9th chevron address would lead them to Destiny, they wouldn't know what dots to connect.
                  Not to mention that we know the Lantean dialect is different from the ancient language spoken in the Milky Way galaxy. Information about Destiny could've been under their noses the whole time without them even knowing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                    I don't think they needed to try. The communication stones work perfectly well so what makes you think that destiny couldn't communicate with the Ancients? Just because it's not shown on the show doesn't mean destiny wasn't kitted out with long range subspace communications.
                    Well we know they left one Com stone device here, one in the PG and one back in the Ori galaxy. Did they ever leave one ON the destiny?

Except that if it would be a massive file, it might take too long to upload it that fast.
                    And we don't know whether the wraith could have intercepted it.

Comment

Depends.

Not to mention that we know the Lantean dialect is different from the ancient language spoken in the Milky Way galaxy. Information about Destiny could've been under their noses the whole time without them even knowing it.
                      That would be the first time ancient dialect differences ever come into play...

I think Air confirms that the adress was the only thing they ever found in the database. Which is also why file size would not be a problem with the abovementioned method of data storage.

Truth is, nothing indicates that there's more to Atlantis containing info about Destiny. It had the adress, that's it. rest is speculation. and god i hate that phrase. nothing suggests there's data that needs backup. Nothing suggests that the ancients did anything with Destiny's data. Word of God says that the project was abandoned. Why would atlantis contain anything but a small reference?

Comment

Working...
                      X