WOW season two was amazing!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW season two was amazing!!

I just finished an intense three day re-watch of season two, having only just seen the last three episodes for the first time only a week ago, and I am in awe of the sheer quality in the storyline's compared to season one.
    I watched season one from the beginning and enjoyed it but definitely felt that it was a slow burner that could put some fans off and when season two came about I didn't catch it all so was not fully versed in sgu. But after watching the last few episodes I had to watch it all in order, fast.
    I loved the way the rush character evolved, from an unlike-able (to some) person with little redeeming qualities and morally and ethically destitute to the guy you love to hate and find yourself wanting him to do commit his indiscretions.
    Also I felt his real character emerged from the loss of Amanda perry onwards, the guy does have feelings after all, who knew!!
    I particularly enjoyed the episode where he ' performs a thorough diagnostic of one of the stasis pods' brilliant. I cant help but compare him to the Dr smith (I think that was his name) character from lost in space, My favourite Rush line had to be from twin destinies when young suggests that the other Rush may have chose to go down with the ship, to which Rush simply says " well it doesn't sound like me"
    But the whole season in general had more of an sg feel to it which I didn't feel the first season had enough off. In episodes like common descent and the hunt and a few others that were predominately off world you get that old skool sg style and it was a nice reminder of the show that made it all possible
    I have loads of what ifs to ask but will do that elsewhere, just wanted to express my appreciation of the end product and all it was.
    Never Leave A Man Behind...or a Jaffa for that matter

Glad you liked SGU! I do too, to the dismay of some.
    sigpic

Comment

So glad to find a fan who completely says my thoughts.
      SGU was a wonderful series(damn scifi for cancelling it), Rush was the greatest character in all fiction and Destiny looked amazing. SO much potential. It was far from SG-1, but close as well(unlike the previous shows, there was no "team").

One of my regrets was that the hostilities between Young and Rush loosened, it was great watching them fight. The other was the com stones. I hated episodes like "Life".
      I even wrote a fanfic movie to end SGU, involving a war between the crew and the Destiny AI(I know it sounds like 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I really liked the end result).

Miss this series so much. My favourite overall episode was probably Time, possibly Twin Destinies.
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
        So glad to find a fan who completely says my thoughts.
        SGU was a wonderful series(damn scifi for cancelling it), Rush was the greatest character in all fiction and Destiny looked amazing. SO much potential. It was far from SG-1, but close as well(unlike the previous shows, there was no "team").

One of my regrets was that the hostilities between Young and Rush loosened, it was great watching them fight. The other was the com stones. I hated episodes like "Life".
        I even wrote a fanfic movie to end SGU, involving a war between the crew and the Destiny AI(I know it sounds like 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I really liked the end result).

Miss this series so much. My favourite overall episode was probably Time, possibly Twin Destinies.
        Tell me about it, I loved the tension between rush and young so you can imagine the look on my face when I watched the last episode and young says morning to rush.
        then he asks him if he is feeling all right and the two of them are chatting away like the best of friends.
        I definitely have a new-found respect for col.Young as I felt in the first series that his lack of authority was a downside to me.
        Yes it led to some great confrontations and I personally loved it but certain things that young done were so unlike the actions of what we have come to expect from a colonel in the air force, via sg at least.
        I refer to the episode where young leaves rush on the planet, that's not how we expect our good guys to act, it fly's in the face of the whole " never leave a man behind" mentality.
        he did redeem himself when he eventually rescued rush from the alien ship, but even then there was an element of shadiness to that as well.
        I personally didn't mind to much because I knew it would resolve itself down the line, but others I know where not so willing to wait and see, their loss

Comment

On a side note I lover Greer, his character was solid dependable and at the same time fiercely loyal, sometimes to a fault.
          I think that Ford from sga was supposed to be a similar sort of character but it never really worked. For me ford came to life as a great character from siege part three until we last saw him on the hive.

Comment

Glad to hear you liked it! I personally love both seasons, but season 2 definitely has a better storyline, and develops the characters better. I'm not a fan of Rush, but again; season 2 does treat him better, shows more sides of him. Not saying I like those sides But character development is something I always highly value in a show. Young definitely became a better character. Already loved him in the first season, but he really grew on me in the second season. He finally became comfortable with his place on Destiny, his position as leader.

There were so many good things about the second season. Unlocking the bridge, discovery of more parts of the ship (like the stasis pods), the discovery of Novus. Especially that. From Twin Destinies to Epilogue, it was all amazing and so fascinating.
            And Gauntlet was just... oh heartbreaking, haunting, beautiful, and infuriating.

Comment

Originally posted by sgelite View Post
              On a side note I lover Greer, his character was solid dependable and at the same time fiercely loyal, sometimes to a fault.
              I think that Ford from sga was supposed to be a similar sort of character but it never really worked. For me ford came to life as a great character from siege part three until we last saw him on the hive.
              I agree with you about Greer. One of the most underrated characters in the franchise. A lot just describe him as annoying and "supposed tough guy", but there's much more to him. And truth to be told; since practically no military on that crew has any dignity when it comes to their job and rank, it's nice to see that Greer is like the ones developed on SG1 and Atlantis; loyal, hardworking and willing to do whatever it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by YceQueen View Post
                I agree with you about Greer. One of the most underrated characters in the franchise. A lot just describe him as annoying and "supposed tough guy", but there's much more to him. And truth to be told; since practically no military on that crew has any dignity when it comes to their job and rank, it's nice to see that Greer is like the ones developed on SG1 and Atlantis; loyal, hardworking and willing to do whatever it takes.
                Stand out greer moment easily for me was when Dr.Volker needed a kidney transplant and it was down to him and one other, the other starts to whine and question this and that and Greer just cuts him off and says he will do it.no hesitation.
                Of course we knew he would volunteer but the way he did it,no doubts no worries about the risk to himself and for a character that he had little interaction with and that wasn't exactly pleasant.
                Imo it was a reminder that he was a true sg man, like O'neill he "would have done it for anyone"
                Thats why I was glad to see his issues post surgery were not long lasting as I think if greer started second guessing things then they trully were doomed.

Comment

Greer always seemed to be kind of a hybrid of Ford and Ronon. Reminds me of Tuvix lol.

I really, really liked when Young abandoned Rush, for me it was the turning point of the series from average to awesome.

I smiled insanely when Eli exclaimed that Rush had been keeping the bridge secret and then Young showed up from behind the wall and Rush is all "oh **** I'm dead."
                  "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                    Greer always seemed to be kind of a hybrid of Ford and Ronon. Reminds me of Tuvix lol.

I really, really liked when Young abandoned Rush, for me it was the turning point of the series from average to awesome.

I smiled insanely when Eli exclaimed that Rush had been keeping the bridge secret and then Young showed up from behind the wall and Rush is all "oh **** I'm dead."
                    Don't get me wrong I loved that episode as well.But it was so out of character for what we had come to expect from an sg man, more in keeping with the kind of thing you would have expected from maybournes n.i.d
                    I remember watching it and saying for about an hour afterwards, I can't believe he left him on the planet !! Brilliant.

Comment

I agree. The last few episodes of season 2 were some of the best of the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by sgelite View Post
                        Don't get me wrong I loved that episode as well.But it was so out of character for what we had come to expect from an sg man, more in keeping with the kind of thing you would have expected from maybournes n.i.d
                        I remember watching it and saying for about an hour afterwards, I can't believe he left him on the planet !! Brilliant.
                        It was kind of unexpected but Young was under a lot of pressure and I just assumed that he cracked after Rush attempted to have him blamed for Spencer's suicide.

Comment

Totally agree, season two was when SGU really started running, sadly too late, the low viewer ratings pit was already dug for it to fall into, just sad.

I loved how the characters really showed change as they faced tough challenges. This is what season one set up, and made that season hard to watch at times because it was so slow. But it built the foundations for us to see real fallible human beings, not just the main characters but a great supporting group we also got to know, prone to petty nastiness or amazing sacrifice, this was the magic of SGU.

Young was the character I liked from the beginning. He was such a confusing mess, and that was the idea, consumed by doubt and regrets, losing sight of what made him a Colonel in the first place. Seeing him step up, falteringly to become what all needed on Destiny, a shrewd, insightful and caring leader came out once again, that was his journey.

The fun of SGU was that you didn't know what could happen to change things again with him and the others. This show could never become 'comfortable' like SG-1 and SGA did, not with these people!

Comment

Everything I believe about the show is said here! Season 1 is slightly painful but Season 2 just explodes with awesome. It definitely felt more Stargate when they cut out the awkward sex scenes, went off world (or off ship?) more and the characters were stronger developed.
                            SGU will live on forever with the piece of hope we have from Eli!

Comment

Another U fan here too. I didn't like S1 much because after they recharged in a star for the first time the show seemed to drop dead for half the season. This ruined it but season 2 was excellent and definitely had a lot of potential.

Comment

Working...
                              X