WOW season two was amazing!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
    You are right in the sense that it would be pointless for MGM to waste time on it however we the fans have waited for 14 years to see how this tech is made and distributed.
    Stargate has many thousands of fans - don't presume to speak for them.

Don't you remember the first few stargate shows you saw when you wondered who built them and how? - How did they get there, how many of them etc? Thats the point. We know in theory how its done but actually seeing it would have been a nice treat.
    Well, first of all, given the fact that the Antarctica Stargate may, in fact, be millions of years older than other Stargates in the Milky Way, whereas the Seed Ships can seed a galaxy within a few years (given the fact that Destiny seems to cover at least one galaxy every few years and yet hasn't overtaken the Seed Ships), I'm willing to bet that the way the Seed Ships go about things is probably a touch different from how the Ancients handled the Milky Way at least, if not Pegasus as well.

Thats clearly something the production crew over looked and it could have made a difference in viewer numbers.
    I seriously doubt it.

Yes but that doesn't protect it from an alien race with powerful weapons when planting a gate does it. We still don't know if it teleports a gate onto the surface or actually descends to the planet and physically puts it there before returning to space. Either way if some of those planets were advanced enough they'd be able to attack the seed ships. So, again, just how did they manage to survive with inferior weapons and shields? - That is assuming that they were inferior. For all we know the one ship we saw may have just had no defences left due to previous fights like destiny - others may be in a better condition with weapons and shields. I guess we'll never know now
    Ahh. I misunderstood what you were asking.

In that case, I would suggest that the Seed Ships could probably run if they found themselves in a bad situation.

For all we know it could take a fortnight to build all the components, sensors etc and then assemble them for each gate.
    Two weeks is a severe stretch in a show that contains things like Replicators, which grow exponentially in a matter of hours.

Now imagine 100,000 habitable planets in the solar system, thats 200,000 weeks.
    Spoiler:
    When you say "solar system," you mean galaxy.

First, as an aside, your wrong about that, because the existence of an assembly line means that the Seed Ships can build multiple Stargates effectively simultaneously and the presence of multiple Seed Ships means that the fleet can literally build multiple Stargates simultaneously.

Moving on, I will say that, given prior Stargate canon, the number of 100,000 actually seems like a reasonable number for a galaxy the size Milky Way (e.g., there were five other Stargates within 300 light-years of the Volian system, which would translate to roughly 400,000 Stargates in the total volume of the Milky Way).

However, on the Destiny Mission, you have to consider that the Stargates planted by the Seed Ships are in a fairly narrow corridor. We know that the corridor cannot be too much wider than the Stargates' range - consider, for example, that there was no issue in "Lost" that the stranded crew might inadvertently 'Gate around Destiny. If you assume the same 300 light-year range limit as in "2001" and a length of 100,000 light-years (the diameter of the Milky Way), you find that the density of Stargates noted in "2001" comes to a total of somewhere from about 1,200 to 1,500 Stargates in the corridor. It would take only 60 Stargate per fortnight to seed this corridor within a year.

Now the seed ship may have a long corridor of gates but I'd suspect only the final few are actually ready to be put into service (eg 5 - 10) so the seed ship couldn't really exceed more than one gate per manufacturing period or it would run out of gates to use. In other words it would have to pace out the work.
    Not really: even if we used your number of a fortnight as the time to complete a 'Gate, if the assembly line were 10 'Gates long, that would translate to one new 'Gate every day-and-a-half. Given that it takes Destiny anywhere from four to seven hours to get out of range of a particular Stargate, that means that no more than nine Seed Ships would be needed to lay a continuous path without slowing down (baring, of course, resupply).

Hah! Didn't think of that did you
    Didn't need to, you're still wrong.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
      In s1 I hated "Darkness" and "Light" because they spent TWO episodes just drifting into a star, only to find out that they're just recharging the ship.
      That's funny because that's exactly why those were my two favorite episodes. I would call them a sci-fi masterpiece. I had gotten so tired of Atlantis having all these troubles and finding some magic Rodney fix in the last minute. I loved how helpless they were and they had to deal with it, you got to see how all the characters deal with inevitable death. Things like this are what set SGU so far above most of what went before.

For me the best of SGU was the first half of season 1 and the last half of season 2. That whole Lucian Alliance thing was a little dull plot wise but it still had all the amazing characters from the first half of season 1 so it's all good.
      I love SGU and I even like the other two SGU prequel shows

Comment

In my opinion, they could've delayed the Lucian Alliance thing for a later season and replace it with another story in the first & the second season. The crew knew VERY LITTLE about Destiny at the time and they didn't have the access to the control bridge yet, let alone knowing that it existed. So storming the ship and taking the entire crew hostage was kind of stupid, because if they (the LA) would storm the ship in one of later seasons, the hostage situation would've had a larger meaning to it and it would be even more important, because the crew would know more about Destiny.

But I agree, season 1 was good and season 2 was better. Alot better than season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Skiznot View Post
          That's funny because that's exactly why those were my two favorite episodes. I would call them a sci-fi masterpiece. I had gotten so tired of Atlantis having all these troubles and finding some magic Rodney fix in the last minute. I loved how helpless they were and they had to deal with it, you got to see how all the characters deal with inevitable death. Things like this are what set SGU so far above most of what went before.

For me the best of SGU was the first half of season 1 and the last half of season 2. That whole Lucian Alliance thing was a little dull plot wise but it still had all the amazing characters from the first half of season 1 so it's all good.
          Exactly ....Mnikolic and Skiznot I could not agree more. I was really looking forward to what other secrets the Destiny Crew might uncover when they finally were able to explore the rest of Destiny.

.....too bad we will never know now.
          SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
            In my opinion, they could've delayed the Lucian Alliance thing for a later season and replace it with another story in the first & the second season. The crew knew VERY LITTLE about Destiny at the time and they didn't have the access to the control bridge yet, let alone knowing that it existed. So storming the ship and taking the entire crew hostage was kind of stupid, because if they (the LA) would storm the ship in one of later seasons, the hostage situation would've had a larger meaning to it and it would be even more important, because the crew would know more about Destiny.

But I agree, season 1 was good and season 2 was better. Alot better than season 1.
            IMHO I feel that it shouldn't have been the lucien alliance that was the adversary, in SG1 they were a bit of a joke, poisoning corn with addictive stuff, real high brow.
            So to throw them into SGU as a force to be reckoned with was a hard pill to swallow because we considered them nothing more than an irksome pain in the butt in SG1.
            The concept could have worked had they chose their bad guys a bit better, I get that they wanted a tie to SG1 but the lucien alliance were not it.
            The jaffa would have been a much better choice, a clandestine group like the So'dan who had been working on the mysteries of the ninth chevron for years.
            The Jaffa had allready proved themself a worthy adversary in seasons 9 and 10 SG1 so it would have been easier to accept, and lets face it the relations with the Jaffa were tenuous at best so why not
            Never Leave A Man Behind...or a Jaffa for that matter

Comment

Not only season two was amazing, season one as well !
              sigpic

Comment

There are 2 replies to you Quadhelix as the forum has a 12k character limit.

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                Stargate has many thousands of fans - don't presume to speak for them.
                Which is exactly what you are doing saying that I am wrong and they have not been waiting for years. You can't conclusively say that anymore than I can. I suggest you take your own advice before slating what I say.

Please don't forget that this entire show was built upon the idea of alien technology, where it came from, who built it, where are they etc. Thats why we had a show called Atlantis and then SGU in the first place - because people liked it.

After 14 years I think it's only fair to assume that most fans would actually like to see a gate being made and seeded. You on the other hand don't have a reasonable arguement to dismiss that bearing in mind the viewers have been watching a show all about this technology for the last 14 years.

Well, first of all, given the fact that the Antarctica Stargate may, in fact, be millions of years older than other Stargates in the Milky Way,
                That has nothing to do with what I've said: Don't you remember the first few stargate shows you saw when you wondered who built them and how? - How did they get there, how many of them etc?

How does the Antarctica gate being older than the others (and thats only theoretical) have anything to do with that?

Again, the Antarctica gate could be of a similar age. You mention below that a seed ship can seed a galaxy in a few years. That being the case (and bearing in mind that the Goa'uld used both) would suggest that the Goa'ulds themselves harnessed a disused gate and planted it on earth. Don't forget they've also used them on their ships so they clearly know how to harness stargates just like they did in Atlantis when building the intergalactic bridge. Your assumption that the other stargate on earth is millions of years older than the other is almost certainly wrong. We know Ra used the gate from Egypt. We know that the Goa'ulds used the Antarctic gate because Carter a serpant guard buried in ice there.

whereas the Seed Ships can seed a galaxy within a few years (given the fact that Destiny seems to cover at least one galaxy every few years and yet hasn't overtaken the Seed Ships),
                No but it did catch up with one. We know this for a fact. We also do not know if the seed ships intentionally wait for destiny to catch up before being dismissed to continue their mission (and while I'm not going to say this is the case, it's plausible). If that were the case, a seed ship could theoretically wait for years for destiny to catch up before proceeding to another galaxy millions of light years ahead of the others that are waiting (this would also explain why the seed ship was found to have plenty of power reserves).

Nowhere is it stated that a seed ship can seed a galaxy within a few years - you've made that up to support your side of the arguement without thinking about it logically. We do however know that the seed ships themselves plotted destinys route as Eli points out. This indicates that the seed ships survey the entire galaxy and decide which planets and gates are of interest to Destiny allowing it to bypass any others that are not of interest to its mission.

If you think about it logically, there must also be ships that are manufacturing seed ships and duplicate seed ship factory ships too. Why? Think about it for a moment. They started at earth and radiated outwards. Now we know that Destiny is following one path as was seen at the start of the show. but that doesn't mean that the seed ships went purely in one direction. The Ancients were quite clearly trying to setup a network of gates throughout the universe. The universe as we know it is infinite - not just a line in front and behind of earth but in all directions. The further the seed ships go, the more area they would need to cover and the slower their mission would become. Therefore it would make sense for the Ancients to cover the universe in a spider web like pattern. Every X amount of light years a factory ship would create another seed ship and every XX amount of light years it would create another factory ship. This would allow the seed ships to continue spreading along with factory ships to continue supplying them so that the radius of gates around the galaxy can continue to expand.

That can be demonstrated by a spider and its web. The larger it is the longer it will take a spider to built it. The further out from the centre of the web it goes, the longer it will take to expand because it has to work its way around a larger radius. As this radius increases, so does the amount of time it takes the spider to get around it adding new pieces to the structure. Now think of the universe starting at the milkyway (even though the gates were planted before they came to the MW as they have them in the Orii galaxys etc). The universe isn't even flat it's to our side and above and below so thats one hell of an area for a few ships launched from earth (which admittedly could explain the lack of naquadah lol). It would make sense for there to be factory ships that build copies of themselves and new seed ships so that the further out into space they go, they are able to keep up the expansion pace.

I'm willing to bet that the way the Seed Ships go about things is probably a touch different from how the Ancients handled the Milky Way at least, if not Pegasus as well.
                That may be so but we never saw any gate manufacturing plant in the MW or the Pegasus galaxy. We know the Ancients fled the MW due to a disease and relocated to the Pegasus galaxy where they attempted to setup their new base of operations. For all we know they may well have decided to launch new seed ships to upgrade older stargates. Maybe they just designed a new stargate and pegasus was a test galaxy or something. We don't know but what we do know is the Ancients liked automation.

I seriously doubt it.
                Maybe, maybe not. As I pointed out earlier, fans of the show have been watching a show about alien technology for the last 14 years. I think it's quite logical to think that they would have tuned in to see the stargates being built and seeded after all of this time. This alien tech has clearly had a lot of people watching the show so it is clearly fascinating to many people. Before you try to deny that, I'm sure you may have noticed the countless questions about the 9th chevron - That came up time and time again. You can't deny it. People are fascinated by the Ancients and their technology, why it was made, where it was made, how it was made, for what purpose etc.

Ahh. I misunderstood what you were asking.
                Don't be so quick to be critical of my points then without thinking it through for a bit My point when you look at it logically was pretty clear. Without shields and weapons, how could a seed ship survive alien attacks for millions of years? - The ancients existed so there must have been other advanced aliens too (ok maybe not as advanced but still advanced enough to have space ships, lasers etc).

Comment

In that case, I would suggest that the Seed Ships could probably run if they found themselves in a bad situation.
                  Yes but what about the alien ships that can also run after them shooting their big space guns? - Again you've not thought about that before suggesting it have you In the millions of galaxys that the seed ships have been through there are sure to have been a few alien species that could track a ship through FTL and chase it. There are also bound to have been the odd few seed ships that were actually destroyed too.

Two weeks is a severe stretch in a show that contains things like Replicators, which grow exponentially in a matter of hours.
                  Again you're not thinking about this logically. The ancients didn't create the MW replicators (as far as I know) and even if they did, there is nothing to say that they were not created millions of years after the seed ships were despatched from earth. Yes they created the replicators in pegasus but again that was millions of years after the milkyway. We don't even know the seed ships were launched from the milkyway (only that the destiny was) - the Orii have gates too and the ancients as we know it came from that region of space before they split with them. They may not have had replicator technology back then.

Aside from that, replicators just replicate themselves and build themselves into structures. They do not form physical components. EG a replicator wouldn't be able to turn itself into a capacitor, resistor, diode, particle transmitter etc. All that would require components to be made. Just like your car, TV, phone.. they all have components made to serve a specific purpose. The stargates are far more complex than anything we have so you can be sure it will have very complex components that take time to manufacture.

On top of that, the seed ships would need to gather materials too. I would assume that in order to avoid the energy expense of entering a planets gravity and then escaping it, they would mine materials from asteroids in space. That being the case this would also take time too. The ships would probably either pull in asteroids and break them down internally or launch mining bots to mine them and bring back materials. Our own solar system is scattered with asteroids so it's probable that others would be too. That being the case a seed ship may have to spend time in each solar system to find materials. Then you have the "What if some systems don't have all the ingredients?" conundrum. It would have to have reserves but then replenish those too which would take extra time.

My two weeks average per gate isn't so unrealistic is it. To harden metal here on earth we have to heat treat it, cool it, treat it etc. Imagine doing that for millions of parts for one stargate. Then there is the component testing on everything to make sure it works properly. It would all add up. Don't forget the seed ships are millions of years old (or even if they're cloned the design is).

Spoiler:
                  When you say "solar system," you mean galaxy.
                  Very true I did I've amended that - thanks

First, as an aside, your wrong about that, because the existence of an assembly line means that the Seed Ships can build multiple Stargates effectively simultaneously
                  Yes but it doesn't mean that it can build them fast though does it. When something is built in a factory, it usually starts at one end with base / chassis and comes out at the other end finished. In between you get bits installed that have been made elsewhere called components / parts. My point is that from the scene we see with Rush looking over them, the nearest one has a top piece about to be attached. The others behind are not really visible but it sets the scene for the nearest one to be incomplete with the rest behind either finished and waiting or in final phases of testing, polishing up etc.

and the presence of multiple Seed Ships means that the fleet can literally build multiple Stargates simultaneously.
                  You're correct about that but it still doesn't mean each gate is built quickly. That was the point I was trying to make.

Moving on, I will say that, given prior Stargate canon, the number of 100,000 actually seems like a reasonable number for a galaxy the size Milky Way (e.g., there were five other Stargates within 300 light-years of the Volian system, which would translate to roughly 400,000 Stargates in the total volume of the Milky Way).
                  Even so, at two weeks per gate that would still be a considerable amount of time. Again that would mean that the seed ship itself couldn't seed stargates faster than it can make them.

However, on the Destiny Mission, you have to consider that the Stargates planted by the Seed Ships are in a fairly narrow corridor.
                  I'm slightly inclined to agree with you here but its possible there were other gates in each galaxy but that destiny was only looking at those that were plotted for it to visit by the seed ships. If we give it the benefit of the doubt that there are multiple seed ships per galaxy as you yourself suggested, then there must be more than a corridors worth of gates in the destiny galaxies. This would back up the theory that destiny is only visiting those on the course plotted for it by the seed ships.

We know that the corridor cannot be too much wider than the Stargates' range - consider, for example, that there was no issue in "Lost" that the stranded crew might inadvertently 'Gate around Destiny.
                  This is another point that was left open to interpretation if you ask me. When the novans said there were no other gates in range, they could have meant no other gates in range that they knew of. It also could have meant that there simply were no other gates in range and that the range is indeed limited. IF you look back to SG-1 they also thought the only stargates out there were those that were recorded by the Goa'uld until Jack with the ancients knowledge rewrote the dialling computer code to expose other planets. What I'm saying is that if we only thought there were a limited number of gates then it's possible that the novans did too.

If you assume the same 300 light-year range limit as in "2001" and a length of 100,000 light-years (the diameter of the Milky Way), you find that the density of Stargates noted in "2001" comes to a total of somewhere from about 1,200 to 1,500 Stargates in the corridor. It would take only 60 Stargate per fortnight to seed this corridor within a year.
                  I did see that episode but don't remember anything about the gates range being mentioned. Unfortunately gateworld hasn't transcripted it for me to read either You are again however referring to this corridor and I believe that is wrong (sorry!). Even if you are right, what build speed per gate are you using to determine how quickly each ship can seed a gate? - A ship can only seed as fast as the supply will allow.

The other thing is that through the episodes they tend to repeat facts about the tech - the 38 minute maximum thing being one of them. I don't recall the 300 light year range thing ever being mentioned in any other episodes.

Not really: even if we used your number of a fortnight as the time to complete a 'Gate, if the assembly line were 10 'Gates long, that would translate to one new 'Gate every day-and-a-half.
                  You're assuming they're built in parallel at the same time. Most factories work in serial as I mentioned above however giving you the benefit of the doubt lets assume they're all built in parallel. Your parts supply requirement would be huge and so would your resources that you required. That would amplify the amount of time needed to mine the materials so in reality you're still limited by the ability to supply the stuff you need.

I will admit my way of working it out was a bit crude (and it was also working on the assumption of one seed ship per galaxy) but it wasn't supposed to be accurate. It was just supposed to demonstrate the theory behind what I was saying - that building and seeding stargates may take some time.

Given that it takes Destiny anywhere from four to seven hours to get out of range of a particular Stargate
                  Thats my gripe about destiny. In the show the range for the destiny gate always seems to mean they need to be near the planet yet we know that the gates need a point of origin and two gates in one planetary location isn't supposed to work. That must mean that destiny has a means of dialling a gate locally and allowing a local gate to dial back to it. I may be wrong about this (I did fall asleep through some season 1 shows ) and it may be that they stop at a planet before the one they're dialling or something.

that means that no more than nine Seed Ships would be needed to lay a continuous path without slowing down (baring, of course, resupply).
                  Thats quite plausible and an interesting line of thought but I still stick by what I said - that building something like a stargate may be time consuming. I plucked a random figure of two weeks out of the air but in truth it could be 2 hours, 2 days, 2 months or 2 years per gate - they're complex things!

Didn't need to, you're still wrong.
                  So are you about a few things

PS excuse any typos - it's rather late!
                  Last edited by Energizer_Vs_ZPM; 07 December 2012, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Which is exactly what you are doing saying that I am wrong and they have not been waiting for years. You can't conclusively say that anymore than I can. I suggest you take your own advice before slating what I say.
                    I never said that.

I was simply pointing out that you complain about, "how inconsiderate the producers of the show were towards us the fans," because the producers didn't include something that you wanted. If there was some larger consensus among fans about a desire to see Stargates planted, the burden is on you to show it.

You on the other hand don't have a reasonable arguement to dismiss that bearing in mind the viewers have been watching a show all about this technology for the last 14 years.
                    I don't need an argument because I'm not the one making a claim other than that you haven't supported yours.

How does the Antarctica gate being older than the others (and thats only theoretical) have anything to do with that?
                    By you own argument, a Seed Ship should be able to seed an entire galaxy within a few millennia. If the Antarctic Stargate is truly millions of years older than some other Milky Way 'Gates, then the seeding of the Milky Way must have been done differently.

You mention below that a seed ship can seed a galaxy in a few years. That being the case (and bearing in mind that the Goa'uld used both) would suggest that the Goa'ulds themselves harnessed a disused gate and planted it on earth. * * * We know that the Goa'ulds used the Antarctic gate because Carter a serpant guard buried in ice there.
                    None of this matters because the age of the Antarctic 'Gate was determined from the power supply of the DHD, which the Goa'uld cannot replicate.

I suppose that one alternative is that the Antartic 'Gate was the first to be equipped with a DHD, but then that raises the question of how they powered and dialed the Milky Way 'Gates beforehand and why it took them millions if years to equip the other 'Gates with DHDs when that should be relatively trivial (dial a DHD-less planet from a planet with a DHD and then send through the DHD).

No but it did catch up with one. We know this for a fact.
                    Yes, it caught up with a Seed ship that was disabled for who knows how long.

We also do not know if the seed ships intentionally wait for destiny to catch up before being dismissed to continue their mission (and while I'm not going to say this is the case, it's plausible).
                    In order for that to happen, the Seed Ships would have to seed a galaxy faster than Destiny can explore it - that is, in less than a few years.

Nowhere is it stated that a seed ship can seed a galaxy within a few years - you've made that up to support your side of the arguement without thinking about it logically.
                    I inferred it logically from the evidence.

We do however know that the seed ships themselves plotted destinys route as Eli points out. This indicates that the seed ships survey the entire galaxy and decide which planets and gates are of interest to Destiny allowing it to bypass any others that are not of interest to its mission.
                    Consider this quote from "Gauntlet":
                    TELFORD: So go off the path - use the shuttles to check out ungated worlds.

RUSH: We can't do that. There's over three hundred billion stars in that galaxy. Only a small percentage of them have planets. An even smaller percentage are capable of sustaining life. The seed ships did the legwork; they found the needles in the haystack. If we go off on our own, it could be months, maybe even years, between viable worlds. It's not an option.

The Ancients were quite clearly trying to setup a network of gates throughout the universe.
                    The problem is that the Destiny Mission Stargates are incredibly fragile, as far as Stargates go, and have obscenely short range. Consider the Stargate in "Common Descent"? If a Stargate cannot withstand energy weapons fire, then it probably cannot survive hundreds of thousands of years of wind, sand, rain, etc. The Stargates would have broken down by the time the Ancients every got around to using them.

Also, the short ranges (with only a few Stargates in range of any other Stargate) would make using them exceedingly difficult.

even though the gates were planted before they came to the MW as they have them in the Orii galaxys etc
                    Was it ever established that the Ori galaxy had Stargates before Daniel and Vala showed up?

Without shields and weapons, how could a seed ship survive alien attacks for millions of years? - The ancients existed so there must have been other advanced aliens too (ok maybe not as advanced but still advanced enough to have space ships, lasers etc).
                    Yes but what about the alien ships that can also run after them shooting their big space guns?
                    The problem is that we've seen that Destiny's best strategy for dealing with attackers is, "set shields to maximum and run at the first opportunity." Remember how, in "Space," one ship was able kick Destiny to the curb when Destiny tried firing back. Now compare that to "Divided," when the three ships may as well have been using squirt guns against Destiny for all the good it was doing.

Again you're not thinking about this logically.
                    That's a very easy accusation to make, but you are missing the point.

The point was that the Milky Way Replicators demonstrate that relatively simple technologies in the Stargate universe (e.g., the Nanites used by Reese to build the Replicators) can build macroscopic, complex structures in a matter of seconds - which would imply that something on the order of a Stargate should not take much longer than a few hours.

Aside from that, replicators just replicate themselves and build themselves into structures.
                    The ability to build a Replicator block logically implies the ability to build any number of other complex devices.

On top of that, the seed ships would need to gather materials too. * * * The ships would probably either pull in asteroids and break them down internally or launch mining bots to mine them and bring back materials.
                    Alternatively, it follows the Homeworld route of vaporizing the asteroid and then "tractoring" in the gas.

Then you have the "What if some systems don't have all the ingredients?" conundrum. It would have to have reserves but then replenish those too which would take extra time.
                    Fun fact: using modern technology, we can tell the content of the atmospheres of planets orbiting other stars. The Seed Ships are thousands or millions of years more advanced than us.

Yes but it doesn't mean that it can build them fast though does it.
                    Actually, yes it does: if it takes two weeks for a Stargate to get from one end of the assembly line to the other, then an assembly line ten 'Gates long means a new Stargate every day-and-a-half.

You're correct about that but it still doesn't mean each gate is built quickly. That was the point I was trying to make.
                    Except that it doesn't matter how quickly each 'Gate is built, only how quickly the fleet can churn out new 'Gates.

If we give it the benefit of the doubt that there are multiple seed ships per galaxy as you yourself suggested, then there must be more than a corridors worth of gates in the destiny galaxies. This would back up the theory that destiny is only visiting those on the course plotted for it by the seed ships.
                    Your conclusion does not follow from your premise: multiple ships can seed one corridor.

This is another point that was left open to interpretation if you ask me.
                    This has nothing to do with the Novans. This has to do with "Lost". In "Lost," the group stranded on the planet was able to follow the corridor - the wrong way. If the corridor were simply a path through a larger network, that would not have worked.

I did see that episode but don't remember anything about the gates range being mentioned.
                    http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co...%22_Transcript
                    CARTER
                    In my early work with the Stargate program, I theorised that all things being equal, the outside limit per lock between two planets without a DHD is three hundred light years.
                    Even if you are right, what build speed per gate are you using to determine how quickly each ship can seed a gate? - A ship can only seed as fast as the supply will allow.
                    My calculation was independent of build-speed. I calculated the number of Stargates based on an estimated width of the corridor and the number of Stargates within range when Destiny stopes.

The other thing is that through the episodes they tend to repeat facts about the tech - the 38 minute maximum thing being one of them. I don't recall the 300 light year range thing ever being mentioned in any other episodes.
                    Because it only comes into play when the Stargate doesn't have a DHD.

You're assuming they're built in parallel at the same time.
                    Actually, I'm assuming that they are built in series. Assuming a build-time of two weeks, it would something like this: the Seed Ship starts a Stargate; when the first Stargate has moved through about 10% of the assembly line (which takes about a day-and-a-half), the Seed Ship starts another Stargate.

By the end of two weeks, the Seed Ship has one complete Stargate, one 90% (1.4 days from completion) Stargate, one 80% (2.8 days from completion) Stargate, etc.

In the show the range for the destiny gate always seems to mean they need to be near the planet yet we know that the gates need a point of origin and two gates in one planetary location isn't supposed to work. That must mean that destiny has a means of dialling a gate locally and allowing a local gate to dial back to it.
                    Remember the 'Gate bridge? Stargates don't need to be near a planet to work.

Also, we know from, e.g., "Lost" that Destiny Mission Stargates can reach interstellar distances (they were able to 'Gate-hop from star system to star system).

Thats quite plausible and an interesting line of thought but I still stick by what I said - that building something like a stargate may be time consuming.
                    I reached that number using your assumption that it would take two weeks to build a Stargate.
                    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

It must be said Quad, you actually have a fairly convincing arguement there! I enjoyed reading your thoughts and you have swayed me on quite a few issues I've got to admit.

I think we've had a rather interesting debate there, I enjoyed it

Comment

Working...
                      X