Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

convince me that SGU is worth watching...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

convince me that SGU is worth watching...

I watched the first ep (and have completely forgotten it) but I do remember that it was too dark and the youth of the crew made this ol' Clanger a bit grumpy.

So - does it have good points? What does it bring to the table to enhance my Stargate viewing?
    Or should I go back to S8, 9 and 10 of SG-1 and try to like those instead?
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

If it's Stargate related, I recommend it.

Except for Infinity.

Universe starts out slow but it gets so much better. It definitely had a story to tell, and it shows it. The only problem is that it wasn't given a chance...This year would be the start of its fourth season.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger View Post
      I watched the first ep (and have completely forgotten it) but I do remember that it was too dark and the youth of the crew made this ol' Clanger a bit grumpy.
      It stays dark, but does have some lighter moments. In its defence, season 2 is much better than season 1. The crew starts to work together more and there's less of the *****-fighting that was the entirety of season 1. If you can stomach the first season, I think season 2 is worth it.

So - does it have good points? What does it bring to the table to enhance my Stargate viewing?
      Well, it's got lesbians. I don't think other Stargates had that novelty. Though I guess it really depends on how you feel about lesbians.

It's got Eli, who remains the most constant and sane character throughout. In terms of aliens, it doesn't really do anything amazing, because none of the two sentient alien species are properly explained or developed, and a third is just silly.

And not to spoil you, but

Spoiler:

McKay makes a cameo in one episode of season 2

*Shudder*
      Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
        If it's Stargate related, I recommend it.

Except for Infinity.

Universe starts out slow but it gets so much better. It definitely had a story to tell, and it shows it. The only problem is that it wasn't given a chance...This year would be the start of its fourth season.
        Indeed.
        Also in regards to the youth of the crew, that quickly stops being an issue. There is one episode from season one where alot of that stuff gets shoved under the carpet for two of the characters and then one in season 2 which does something similar for another.
        If it is less the character exposes that you want to watch though (of which there are some to be fair) there are still the majority of episodes that feel very much like early SG-1. The darker episodes of SG-1 to be fair but still much more along the lines of exploration or pulling together as a unit and solving a serious problem.
        The continuing power struggle between Rush and the Colonel also becomes very gripping.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

On a totally shallow note: naked!Greer in season 1 & pink shirt!Greer in season 2. If you like hunks in your Stargate, believe me, these 2 scenes are totally worth it!

On a more serious note, it depends what you actually like in Stargate. If it's light-heartedness and humour, SGU may not be for you. If you like exporation of the unknown treated realistically and people behaving like, well, actual people then you'll grow to love SGU. If you like the mixture of these 2 things, season 2 should be your cup of tea.

Although I like season 8, tbh...
          There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
          sigpic
          awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

It IS dark, but the whole youth thing? Nah... in fact, I'd say the majority of the cast are actually older than their Stargate SG1 and Atlantis counterparts in the first series... It's only Scott, Eli and Chloe that are 'young' and not ridiculously so, Scott is basically your standard junior officer in above his head...

The REAL gold characters; Rush, Col. Young, Brody, Volker, Camille, are much more mature individuals.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
              It IS dark, but the whole youth thing? Nah... in fact, I'd say the majority of the cast are actually older than their Stargate SG1 and Atlantis counterparts in the first series... It's only Scott, Eli and Chloe that are 'young' and not ridiculously so, Scott is basically your standard junior officer in above his head...

The REAL gold characters; Rush, Col. Young, Brody, Volker, Camille, are much more mature individuals.
              It was nice to have main characters that were my age (Rush, Young, Camille, Telford).
              sigpic
              Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

food for thought there, folks, thanks.

The age thing is only a problem when I look at trailers I think - maybe it's very superficial in which case I can probably get over it.

I loved the darker eps of SG-1. One of my absolute favourites was The Other Side, another Scorched Earth (hmm... both S4...) because they presented a dilemma that wasn't just brushed over but dealt with. Properly.

How do I feel about lesbians, not sure how to answer that. If they are stomping on Kittens I would be Very Cross Indeed. If they are behaving like people who are also lesbians, good for them.

Clangers are very liberal.

sigpic

Comment

The age is just something that was exaggerated in the beginning when the show was on and then went on to lead its own life... There are much more significant differences between the characters of SGU vs the previous shows (SG1/SGA) other than the perceived age difference. So yes there are a few younger characters, what's the big deal, there are plenty of older characters as well. Besides, I don't see the problem... it's not like they are "teenagers" they are just young adults trying to find their place in everything just like all the others...

Anyways, to conclude that rant, if it's only the age thing that is stopping you, I would recommend you get over it and start watching. The question is of course, if it's only that. Sure SGU was stargate, but it was a new reincarnation... so it's new... and I've come to find that SGU being new is/was a big obstacle (for some). Okay, enough ranting.
                  A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                    It was nice to have main characters that were my age (Rush, Young, Camille, Telford).
                    Ditto!

To the OP- Yes very much worth watching, and if you liked the darker episodes of SG1 as you stated, I think you would like SGU. I would definently give it a try. Some loved it from the beginning(me) and some liked it better after the the first half of season 1 -or beginning of season 2. so stick with it, you may find yourself hooked.
                    The acting is superb, as are the special effects.

Comment

nicely positive about the show, which is great. I'll work my way through SG-1 first, then SGA possibly... (of course for me, SG-1 finishes at the end of S7...)

sigpic

Comment

Just one thing about SGA: skip the last episode (S05E20 Enemy at the Gate). If you get that far, you don't wanna see that. I wish someone had warned me at the time...
                        A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

SGU is really good, even when the first half of season 1 requires a bit of patience.

With SGU, sometimes you need a bit of effort to bite through, but it always felt to me, especially with Season 2, that it pays off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                            Just one thing about SGA: skip the last episode (S05E20 Enemy at the Gate). If you get that far, you don't wanna see that. I wish someone had warned me at the time...
                            Knowing that it wasn't supposed to end there, and the writers had to come up with a last minute deus ex, I wasn't as disappointed in the episode as you were. I think he should watch it and form his own opinion.
                            Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

Two words: Robert Carlyle. The interactions between Rush and Young are the heart of this series.
                              All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Working...
                              X