Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after the storm sadness but joy comes

Ok,

So I dont want to do another post about how awful it was that universe was cancelled or what we can do to bring it back. It was terrible and i hope it comes back in some form - moving on.

Was just listening to After the Storm by Mumford and Sons, a song and a band i discovered through watching Universe. I love this song, and indeed their album sigh no more has become one of my favourite records.

I want to thank whomever decided to use this song in the universe soundtrack - i forget which episode it was in. Universe was brilliant by the end, Mumford and sons continue to be brilliant, so while my sadness at the the end of universe continues i get continuing joy from the music of mumford and sons.

So the reason for this thread - what joys do you continue to gain from SGU, either directly or indirectly?

The show lives on through us.
    Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
    Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

I met some wonderful fellow fans (here and elsewhere) that I'm still "virtual" friends with, renewed my great admiration for Robert Carlyle, and "met" a bunch of very talented actors/actresses. Also, I now know the value of the sparkly pink unicorn of sadness and grief (which is to say - mock your own pain, and then no one can mock it for you!).

But seriously, SGU brought me into Stargate fandom, and I've very much enjoyed it.
    sigpic
    Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by mparsons1981 View Post
      So the reason for this thread - what joys do you continue to gain from SGU, either directly or indirectly
      I can say pretty much the same as what's above.

I met many wonderful people because of it, and became friends with some GW posters I hadn't known all that well earlier. I'm still close 'virtual' (for now; there are plans to change it and move to RL) friends with part of the Sparkling Pink Unicorn Brigade...

SGU introduced me to some cool music I haven't heard before and to one of my all-time favourite songs, 'Only if you run'.

I look out for quite a few new interesting actors the show introduced to me, not to mention all the great vids, fanfics etc.

And last, but certainly not least, SGU renewed my interest in Stargate franchise and made me feel proud to be a Stargate fan again. I'm happy that a franchise ended on such a high note.

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
      Also, I now know the value of the sparkly pink unicorn of sadness and grief (which is to say - mock your own pain, and then no one can mock it for you!).
      SPARKLY PINK UNICORNS RULE!!!
      There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
      sigpic
      awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post

SGU introduced me to some cool music I haven't heard before
        I'm ashamed to say I had never heard of the quite brilliant British folk band Mumford and Sons until SGU introduced me to them ("After the storm", the OP and I apparently both love that song!), and now they are one of my favorite bands, so thanks also for that, SGU!
        sigpic

Comment

I was glad we got a totally fresh approach to Stargate with more drama. Whilst I'd been a fan of Robert Carlyle's since his 'Trainspotting' days it was great to see some actors I'd never seen before. I loved Louis Ferriera's Colonel Young, what a great character, and it's a joy to see him appearing in loads of new shows since SGU ended. I'd love to meet him, so that's something to look forward to.

I have met some others, Lou Diamond Phillips was a joy to meet. Such a nice guy with a great sense of humour. So I'm happy with the chances I've had to meet and talk to those that entertained me and thank them in person for creating great moments to watch.

I have a periodic lunch companion in the one and only B.A.G, (Balding Asian Guy) who has wonderful stories of working as an extra in SGU and the other Stargate series' as well as lots of other shows.

So I'm happy with all the SGU memories and the chance to share them with others, reminisce with fellow fans here on threads like these. I also walk through the Stargate landscape and remember the great episodes filmed there. I work in Cloverdale and drive along that main street every day. At first it made it worse missing SGU being reminded every day, but now it's more thinking, what an entertaining episode 'Cloverdale' was.

I had the Mumford & Son's album with 'After the Storm' which was recommended by my son, turned out to be a great recommendation, really love the album! It was a wonderful use of that track for 'Intervention'. Some have been annoyed by the use of 'pop' music for montages in SGU but I thought it worked more often than not.

I'm just glad we got two seasons of great characters and adventure on a wonderful ship called Destiny that I can revisit by putting on the DVDs and reading fics.
          Last edited by Krisz; 19 September 2012, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
            I have a periodic lunch companion in the one and only B.A.G, (Balding Asian Guy) who has wonderful stories of working as an extra in SGU and the other Stargate series' as well as lots of other shows.
            And I am just thrilled to have been part of a fandom that, through craziness and fun, made a legend out of a (excellent! wonderful!) extra with not a single line, and where that great person actually posted to these boards, met fans, and interacted with the fandom is such a fun and light-hearted way. B.A.G. will ALWAYS have a special, special place in my heart!
            sigpic

Comment

Don't even get me started on what I've taken out of SGU!

I totally agree with the inredible acting talents the show presented. What a fantastic cast.
              I have also learned of some great new artists (Alexi Murdoch in particular- "All of my days" and "Breathe")

SGU kicked off my love of Sci Fi. I now am into the genre with other shows such as Star Trek.

I think though, oddly enough, SGU taught me to be brave. The incredible resolve, strength and courage of all crew members aboard Destiny has helped me find my own strength.

Comment

I'm ashamed to say I had never heard of the quite brilliant British folk band Mumford and Sons until SGU introduced me to them ("After the storm", the OP and I apparently both love that song!), and now they are one of my favorite bands, so thanks also for that, SGU!
                Don't be ashamed, it was their first album. I am excited to get their new album, http://www.amazon.com/Babel-Mumford-...and+sons+babel
                sigpic

Comment

I agree with everyone here, it was a wonderful show and I can't begin to list what I have gained from it. Rarely has any entertainment captured my imagination such as SGU did.

In a way I am still depressed about it's demise, because I am so often disappointed by what I see on TV and think why is this crap on and SGU gone?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeri View Post
                    I agree with everyone here, it was a wonderful show and I can't begin to list what I have gained from it. Rarely has any entertainment captured my imagination such as SGU did.

In a way I am still depressed about it's demise, because I am so often disappointed by what I see on TV and think why is this crap on and SGU gone?
                    Story of my life...

Comment

And I am just thrilled to have been part of a fandom that, through craziness and fun, made a legend out of a (excellent! wonderful!) extra with not a single line, and where that great person actually posted to these boards, met fans, and interacted with the fandom is such a fun and light-hearted way. B.A.G. will ALWAYS have a special, special place in my heart!
                      Also, let's not forget hilarious threads about most avid readers onboard Destiny!

EDIT: for those who were not around at the time:

Reading on the rise?

Who's the more avid reader, Park or Scott?
                      There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                      sigpic
                      awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                        Also, let's not forget hilarious threads about most avid readers onboard Destiny!

EDIT: for those who were not around at the time:

Reading on the rise?

Who's the more avid reader, Park or Scott?
                        I was around at the time and even I had to think about it for a second.
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Given the title of the thread, I thought I would mention that I recently bought the new Mumford and Sons album and it is excellent.

(Perfect for the season 3 song montage that you know you still long for!)
                          sigpic

Comment

Given the title of the thread, I thought I would mention that I recently bought the new Mumford and Sons album and it is excellent.

(Perfect for the season 3 song montage that you know you still long for!)
                            LOL, guess I'm going out to buy the new Mumford & Sons album, listen to it whilst driving in Cloverdale and start longing for a season 3 again!

Comment

I got my copy of the new album last week, and yes Carmencatalina it is excellent. And it does make me think of SGU.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X