Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were you a "week to week" or a "marathon" viewer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were you a "week to week" or a "marathon" viewer?

The question pertains to all of the Stargate shows. Have you been a viewer from the beginning and watched it week to week? Or were you either A) watch then wait for the season to finish and marathon that season in preparation for the next or B) got into Stargate later and watched them all together with little wait time in between?

Myself I got into Stargate after Universe 1.0 had aired and I watched everything Stargate in a short amount of time. Even though I really do enjoy the show, I don't think I could have held interest in something like SG-1 on a week to week basis had I watched it when it aired.

What are your stories?
    sigpic
    Originally posted by dacooker
    The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Originally posted by Brian View Post
    The question pertains to all of the Stargate shows. Have you been a viewer from the beginning and watched it week to week? Or were you either A) watch then wait for the season to finish and marathon that season in preparation for the next or B) got into Stargate later and watched them all together with little wait time in between?

Myself I got into Stargate after Universe 1.0 had aired and I watched everything Stargate in a short amount of time. Even though I really do enjoy the show, I don't think I could have held interest in something like SG-1 on a week to week basis had I watched it when it aired.

What are your stories?
    Right there is the same situation I was in. I was a fan of the original movie for a long time, but I always though the series were just cheap cash-ins that had nothing to do with the film. I started watching SG-1 right before the break halfway through SGU's second season(I believe it was just prior to 'the airing of 'Resurgence'), and marathoned the entire show, alternating SG-1 and Atlantis episodes. I didn't finish in time for SGU, and only watched through the first half of the second season. During my second airing. I finally finished SGU, although I had to wait a few days each for the last three episodes or so of the show to be added to Netflix. After that, I marathoned SGU again, although I marathoned a few other sci-fi shows in-between. I am currently in my third marathon of the entire franchise, during season 6 of SG-1. I just watched 'Paradise Lost' today. I normally watch eight episodes or more per day, but I am restraining myself to one per day (excluding multi-part episodes) until SG-1 and Atlantis are re-added to Netflix.

Comment

I didn't get into stargate until my dad showed me the movie back in 1999 and then I jumped into SG-1 season 3 (when it was airing on showtime) right away. I didn't get to watch seasons 1 and 2 until they were out on DVD. And then for the next 12 years (which was from 5th grade to my college years) I was a week to week viewer. During the hiatus's I would have my own little marathon. The only episode I missed was the Atlantis first season mid season finale the storm when it first aired in 2004.

Comment

I didn't get into Stargate until a few years ago. My mom actually watched before I did, and I remember catching a scene here or there, but I was never really intrigued by it, until I saw The Shrine. That episode really had me glued to the screen. This was just after season 5 of Atlantis ended, and my mom was watching it on dvd. Universe had just started, and I didn't know about SG1 then yet. So I started watching Universe first (which I guess is why it's so special to me, and why I love it so much). Then I borrowed my mom's dvds of Atlantis, and watched the whole show (this taking place between season 1 and 2 of Universe). I then bought Stargate the movie, and bought the whole SG1 Collection myself and watched it.

Best thing ever

Comment

First one, then the other. I discovered the show around...oh man, I think season 6 or 7 of SG-1. Marathoned to catch up, and then was week-to-week until the very end.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Got into SG1 halfway season 1 as it aired here, which meant it was halfway season 3 in the US and I had quite literally never heard of it before. Watched a couple of episodes, lost track, came back to it in season 3 (the US well ahead in season 4). So downloaded every episode I could find, marathoned and then week-to-week with the US schedule. Bought DVD's for better quality, one season after another (which stopped after season 3 of Atlantis).
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Started watching SG1 after it came off of pay per view. I think it was repeating on a cable channel before SciFi picked it up. Kind of lost interest in the later years and watched the start of SGA but then didn't watch regularly for a season or two. Saw a rewatch prior to Season 3 or 4, I can't remember, of SGA here on GW I believe, and ordered the DVDs and marathoned the first seasons. Became absolutely crazy about SGA and watched weekly till it was done. I don't think I've ever seen the entire last season of SG1.
              sigpic

Comment

i watched the original movie when it was out at the cinema, but then haven't really watched any of the shows until earlier this year when we started watching from start to finish. I do remember catching a few episodes of SG-1 and SGA when they were aired, just because they were on but not enough in odd episodes to make me want to continue.

We were looking for something we could watch together as a family and hubby suggested stargate, my memories were just of the movie and i can't say I was enthralled by the idea but stuck with it, guess who is the one on here now....lol

We are currently still on our first watch, we are on season 2 of SGA and season 10 of SG-1 so still lots of goodness to come yet

I would love it if there was a new series which i could watch on a week to week basis tho
                sigpic
                Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Mostly week-to-week.

I started watching in 1998 when SG-1 premiered here and continued to watch this way until the end of season 7.
                  Then I moved to college and had no tv and unreliable Internet access, so we would get once a month with some dorm friends and watch a batch of about 4-5 episodes that we managed to tape/download between us. That's how I watched seasons 8-10 of SG-1 and seasons 1-3 of SGA.
                  Then my Internet connection improved so I could watch season 4 of SGA on a weekly basis, and then I moved to the States so I could do the same with season 5 of SGA on SyFy. And then of course SGU premiered and I was there watching week after week.
                  There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                  sigpic
                  awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

I didn't start watching SG1 until about 2004, when I changed cable companies and could get Syfy. I didn't get Showtime, so I never got to see the earlier seasons as they aired. Once I got it, I watched week-to-week, and caught up with previous seasons when there were marathons. Then in 2007 I bought the entire 10 season collection of SG1 and get to watch whenever I want to now.

When SGA came along, I watched week-to-week from the beginning. Same with SGU.

Comment

I watched all three series week-by-week since SG-1 began here in 1998. It was exciting waiting for the next new episode each week, and I was always desperate for each new season to begin.

I also bought all the box sets as each season was released, and still watch them all, as well as watching episodes that are still aired daily on Sky 2.
                      sigpic

Comment

I watched the shows week-to-week via syndication or cable (depending on when I had cable). Alternatively, I waited for the DVD box set and watched the show that way, but taking my time to make it last. The only show I've ever marathoned through was Surface, and that... well... go and watch it for yourself. You'll understand.

Comment

Man it's cool to hear everyone's stories with it. All the different experiences are what make this franchise so much fun. From multiple people taping it (I assume on VHS) and watching it with some buddies to watching it all in the past couple of years, so many different ways of experiencing the same thing is so cool.
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by dacooker
                          The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                            Have you been a viewer from the beginning and watched it week to week? Or were you either A) watch then wait for the season to finish and marathon that season in preparation for the next or B) got into Stargate later and watched them all together with little wait time in between?
                            Weekly, marathons, and weekly marathons. I originally viewed them on a weekly basis, then I did marathons, and of course due to there being almost 250 hours of Stargate, that requires multiple marathons to get through all of it. However, my current viewing is going much slower, as I'm taking notes on the episodes as I watch them, and grabbing screenshots of key points in them. I'm currently watching an episode first, to simply enjoy it, then watching it again to take notes and grab snapshots, then moving on to the next episode. I can only do a little at a time, given other things going on in life, but it's interesting, the details that I'm discovering as I work through all of it with that approach. It's also revealing multiple errors in several SG-based wikis (including GW's wiki) but, nonetheless, it's fun stuff.
                            Are you in the Kansas City area? Do you know any SG fans in the area?
                            Email me and join the local group of Stargate enthusiasts! (Email address in my profile.)
                            What if... events occurred differently in Stargate? | Which version Stargate fan are you?
                            An all new crew: Who would you want MGM to hire for a new Stargate show or movie(s)?
                            When have you met SG cast or crew (excluding conventions)?
                            Stargate Enthusiasts in the Kansas City Area | Being Introduced to Stargate

Comment

I use to watch every week, then as I was in the navy, my ex would tape them for me and send the tape through the mail with a heap of my favourite shows each week, that was pretty cool, getting to watch SG in the middle of the ocean or some distant foreign port. Then more recently I decided I was going to buy the DVD and Blue Ray sets and I had a big marathon, over several weeks obviously. I was living on about 3 hours sleep a day while I was in this fad. Now I find myself episode hopping late at night when there is nothing on TV, Ahhh SG always there to keep me company
                              sigpic "Check out or post Models, toys and blueprints " or: "latest Stargate PC Games "

Comment

Working...
                              X