Oz Comic Cons 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oz Comic Cons 2013

anyone going to these, i know the Perth and Adelaide ones are still 6 months away or so

Fantastic line up so far

Amanda Tapping (oh yes!!!!) Teryl Rothery and Robin Dunne

hopefully we will get some more additions over the next few months, wouldn't mind a few trek actors too

I'll be making the trip over to Perth with my family from Townsville, we are huge stargate fans, would love to go platinum but with a fmaily of 4 it is just not possible, would it be worth splashing out on the vip tickets do you think?

I would like an aoutograph and photo with Amanda and attend her Q and A (presuiming she is doing one) anyone know if this will be able to be accessesd with a VIP ticket?
    sigpic
    Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Yeah i'll definitely be heading to them! Though still not sure about Perth atm, it's a bit far for me and I might not have the extra $$ for that one, but i'll definitely be doing the Adelaide and Melbourne ones.

If you are wanting a lot of Autographs/Photo Op's then I would highly recommend the VIP tickets. These conventions are quite big and the lines can be very long, in particular the more well-known and popular actors like Amanda Tapping. A VIP holder will get priority queuing for token lines for the purchase of autograph and photograph tokens, this will cut down your waiting time and also lessens the risk of you missing out on a token that may "sell out". (Provided you dont arrive at the convention during the middle of the day) and that leaves more time to scope out the booths or watch the Q & A sessions.

Amanda will be doing a Q & A session, however unlike the Platinum ticket where they reserve the first few rows for Platinum holders, VIP ticket holders will not have this. Whilst they are still able to attend the session it will be on a first come first serve basis for seating. Generally if they have a few actors going they will do a group Q & A session, I would guess that they may do a 'Sanctuary' one as well as a 'Stargate' one for these events and those are usually restricted to only Platinum and VIP holders and not General Admission.

Comment

thanks for your help, we live in Townsville, way up in north QLD so we are going to be able to only make one, melbourne would be cheapest flight wise but it's AT i want to see the most.

Was wondering if it would work to buy one platinum and the rest VIP tickets, that would give us the photo and autograph tokens as part of the price

its going to cost us a fortune, but im determined to get there
      sigpic

Comment

I can't believe the breakfast with AT is already sold out, Damn.
        sigpic "Check out or post Models, toys and blueprints " or: "latest Stargate PC Games "

Comment

Wow Mercurial thanks for the information and advice.

I had no idea that you might miss out when you buy a general admission ticket. Having said that it's pretty obvious I've never been to a convention before.

I'm really thinking of going to this one though since it's my chance to finally meet my inspiration Amanda Tapping and to thank her for 'saving' me. I know that probably dozens of people already have mentioned something similar to her, but it's really true and I've wished to meet her for years and years. The thought that this might finally happen makes me really happy but at the same time nervous and a bit scared...

So I was wondering whether there's anyone going to the Adelaide convention and who's willingly to help me a bit out?

Thanks
          sigpic
          Made by the talented Meredithe5

Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility - Amanda Tapping

My Rainbow Run for Mila raised $2672.5 CAD for Sanctuary For Kids! Many thanks to everyone who donated in honour of my beloved niece https://www.facebook.com/RainbowRunForMila

Comment

This year was their first Adelaide convention and there were very few of us Platinum ticket holders - I daresay next year will be a lot more and we will never have the same experience again. However the Platinum ticket did get the photo ops and auto ops included as mentioned on the ticket details. It also got a shortcut in the lines to get the autos and photos (as do the VIP tickets - the VIP just dont have any photos or auto included but you do get priority n the queue after the platinum holders to buy tokens (and most Platinums will organise their tokens at the cocktail party the night before).

When Amanda came out last time with Robin Dunne for another organiser in melbourne it was basically impossible to get near either of them at the cocktail party.

Both VIP and Platinum have access to the VIP panels that Amanda is sure to be a part of either alone or probably with Robin Dunne.

Comment

I am seriously considering going to the Adelaide Con, but I am disappointed the AT event is sold out.
              What help do you need?
              If you go to the Aus comicon site there is info for first time visitors.
              sigpic "Check out or post Models, toys and blueprints " or: "latest Stargate PC Games "

Comment

As for the seating the VIPs from memory had the reserved rows after the Platinums in the panels - the one BIG thing here is do not be late for the panel as some were of very high demand and therefore once everyone moved in and the plantinums and vips seemed to be in they got everyone to move forward to fill up the gaps so the general tickets holders could squeeze in the general seats (so while its reserved it you are late you will end up sitting or standing on the edges not in the seats). For the VIP Panels there was plenty of space in Adelaide it was just if you were late you were down the back (like we were for Jonathan Frakes but then we were held up in the Ben Browder main panel and he wasnt planning on leaving til they insisted on finishing). However on the second day they were reserving the front row for platinum in the VIP panels (since that pretty much covered al those ticket holders) and were not allowing VIP tickets to move forward so there was the chance to get there a little late as it clashed with some of us picking up photos that turned up later than expected.

Comment

Originally posted by SGSuzi View Post
                  thanks for your help, we live in Townsville, way up in north QLD so we are going to be able to only make one, melbourne would be cheapest flight wise but it's AT i want to see the most.

Was wondering if it would work to buy one platinum and the rest VIP tickets, that would give us the photo and autograph tokens as part of the price
                  You're welcome! It would be cheaper to purchase the Photo and Autograph tokens separately if that's the only reason you were wanting to go Platinum. When I said a "token" may sell out keep in mind that I was talking in an extreme case (e.g. Stan Lee who came to Oz Comic-Con Melbourne - at 89 years of age and his first and most probably only visit to Australia ever, he was a very BIG calling card to the convention) I would only go the Platinum ticket if you are wanting to attend the cocktail party and secure a place in the first 4 rows of each of the panels and this can only be used by the platinum holder only and not the VIP's attending with you. I don't think Amanda will sell out on her tokens but if she does it would be late in the day, so if you are planning on going in the morning you wont have a problem. As a VIP holder you will be in an express line to purchase her tokens anyway and therefore you wont have an issue with missing out.

Originally posted by Stubba2 View Post
                  I can't believe the breakfast with AT is already sold out, Damn.
                  Keep an eye on the Oz-Comic Con Facebook page, because tickets are sold so early on in the year sometimes people have to sell their ticket before the event for whatever reason and they will usually advertise to sell their ticket on there. I've already seen one or two of Amanda's sold there already, though I can't remember if they were Perth or Adelaide. Otherwise you could always look at getting a Platinum Ticket instead. Most guest's will be at the Friday night cocktail party, while it's not as intimate a setting as the breakfast there is still only a 150 limit to the cocktail party and you usually get to mingle with all the guests.

Originally posted by Samfan13 View Post
                  Wow Mercurial thanks for the information and advice.

I had no idea that you might miss out when you buy a general admission ticket. Having said that it's pretty obvious I've never been to a convention before.

I'm really thinking of going to this one though since it's my chance to finally meet my inspiration Amanda Tapping and to thank her for 'saving' me. I know that probably dozens of people already have mentioned something similar to her, but it's really true and I've wished to meet her for years and years. The thought that this might finally happen makes me really happy but at the same time nervous and a bit scared...

So I was wondering whether there's anyone going to the Adelaide convention and who's willingly to help me a bit out?

Thanks
                  As I mentioned above it is only in an extreme case that a general admission holder will miss out. While the line's for these guests are rather long, most people will get their pictures and autographs, provided you get to the venue early enough. In Melbourne the biggest issue was the venue was at capacity with over 40,000 in attendance they were no longer taking people through the entry doors for safety reasons. They had to stop entry for a few hours at a time. However those who got through the entry doors were still able to get pic's with guests such as Jason Momoa, Corin Nemec and Mitch Pileggi etc. Adelaide is a little more relaxed than the Melbourne one, not as big a capacity and with all the big name guests that attended this years, from Memory I don't believe anyone missed out, though the lines for actors such as Sean Astin, Jonathan Frakes, Ben Browder and Jewel Staite were very long. I will be working at both Adelaide and Melbourne Con's an am happy to help you in any way...I'm still not sure if i'll be heading to the Perth convention yet. My mate will be attending also, i'm not sure if he will be working this one or just attending but I know he'd be happy to help you out in any way too.

Originally posted by Stubba2 View Post
                  I am seriously considering going to the Adelaide Con, but I am disappointed the AT event is sold out.
                  What help do you need? [ATTACH=CONFIG]35580[/ATTACH]
                  If you go to the Aus comicon site there is info for first time visitors.
                  As I said above, I would highly recommend keeping an eye on the Oz-Comic Con Facebook page as often people need to sell their tokens due to unforeseen circumstances and will do so there.

Comment

I did go with teh VIP level ticket for the first con in Adelaide (Armageddon 2011) and did not have a problem getting in or tokens so if you are only worried about the tokens agree ith mercurial then probably easier just to get VIP (and there were long lines for the General Admission to go in but no issue for the two special tickets). This year with Oz Comic Con there didnt seem too much of a problem for VIP despite teh long lines for GA. We got there somewhere around 845 both days and Platinum just walked in followed closely by VIP when the doors opened didnt hear of issues from those groups. Remember Adelaide is a lot more laid back as a town than Melbourne too - though Ive only been to one in melbourne and heard there were issues with AT as they oversold the tokens on the first day BUT that was a different organiser and in Melbourne and on the Saturday - I had no issue at all on Sunday and the lines though organised chaos for the photos all seemed to go through fine in the end.

On one of the days in Adelaide clashes with some music concert thing so that day (which I think is the Saturday) might end up to be the quieter of the two but early this year as Mercurial mentioned everyone seemed to get their photos and autos in the end and saw plenty of the actors staying until the last person had got their auto (usually when we were upstairs in the vip panel area waiting for them). Even those who suddenly rushed over to the token booth then rushed up to the line as they were trying to get the guest through the last ones.

Comment

I'm having a hard time deciding between Perth and Adelaide , we are going to make a holiday out of it which is why we thought Perth just because it is somewhere we have always wanted to visit. Do you think the Perth con will be busier or quieter than the Adelaide one, I would have thought Adelaide will be more accessible to the majority of people therefore might be busier, but then WA is a big state too. Also my kids will be 11 and 9 will the cons be suitable for them, they are huge stargate fans and pretty grown up kids, the is no issue with them being in the panels or anything is there?
                      sigpic

Comment

I've personally never been to a convention in Perth so it is hard to say. However from what I have heard and read, I believe the attendance for Perth and Adelaide will be of a similar number.

It is the first Oz Comic-Con event in Perth, and for first ever event numbers, Oz Comic-Con have always had their attendance expectations blown out of the water. Perth have been visited by conventions like Supanova already and from what I have heard those numbers were very high. Coupled with the fact that so far Perth have a very good lineup so this will probably add to the numbers. If I remember correctly, one of the Supanova Perth conventions had quite a few top line guests pull out just prior to the convention and they still managed to get record numbers in attendance.

Here is a pic of Adelaide's Con earlier this year to give you an idea.
                        Screen shot 2012-10-03 at 11.56.46 AM.jpg

Your 11yr old and 9yr old will be fine in the panels. These conventions are suitable for people of all ages and the guests are aware of this and with the exception of a couple of their jokes, nothing is inappropriate. (Even then it is nothing too bad) The picture gives you a rough idea of numbers at these conventions (keep in mind there was still a lineup at 3pm in the arvo on the Saturday for people getting in) I recommend making a meeting place when you get in the doors, just incase you are separated once you are inside. There is also usually big lines for toilets/atm's and food vendors. So that is a good thing to keep in mind when attending. I recommend carrying a bit of cash on you, whilst most of the vendors do have their own EFTPOS terminal, there are still a couple on site who dont and it can be quite annoying to locate an ATM. With the food vendors, I think they are improving with each convention, however it does depend on the venues and what they have on offer, so it is often good to pack some food if possible or at least pack some snacks. There is not a lot of food options there and usually the wait is quite tedious.

Comment

Another quick question, if we buy one photo and one autograph token can my whole family go up together to have the photo done and get the autograph, we only need one between the family but we would all like to meet Amanda especially the kids, but they would be too shy to go up themselves anyway
                          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, that will be fine. You can all go up and chat to her as she signs the autograph, they are only strict on the one autograph per token, but there is no restriction on all of you going up together to have this done. You can either bring something of your own that you want specifically signed or you can choose a photo from a bunch of different shots that will be at the desk with her to have signed. As for the photo's, from memory you can have an additional 3 people in the picture with you, so that will work for you as a family of four. Amanda's autograph tokens are $40 each and her photo tokens are $60 each and I believe she is doing a double photo with Robin Dunne for $120 each.

Comment

Originally posted by SGSuzi View Post
                              I'm having a hard time deciding between Perth and Adelaide , we are going to make a holiday out of it which is why we thought Perth just because it is somewhere we have always wanted to visit. Do you think the Perth con will be busier or quieter than the Adelaide one, I would have thought Adelaide will be more accessible to the majority of people therefore might be busier, but then WA is a big state too. Also my kids will be 11 and 9 will the cons be suitable for them, they are huge stargate fans and pretty grown up kids, the is no issue with them being in the panels or anything is there?
                              Just remember that the hotels will be packed out and at a premium that weekend. Its during Mad march and not only are the festivals and some big concert on there is also the Clipsal 500 car race that weekend. So might be worth checking hotels even now for the prices in both Adelaide and Perth and if you decide Adelaide book soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X