Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why hasn't destiny reached the edge of the universe yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no "edge". Assuming that you could travel fast enough to circumnavigate the universe in a reasonable amount of time, if you left a certain place headed in what you perceived to be a straight line, you would eventually get back to where you started. ALL paths you can take are curved, because space itself is curved. If you were to actually go in a straight line, it would involve moving in more than 3 dimensions and you may in fact "leave" the universe.

Comment

My question is what is what is the universe expanding into, as it expands is it destroying something that came before us....

Comment

Trig,

Originally posted by Trig View Post
        My question is what is what is the universe expanding into, as it expands is it destroying something that came before us....
        That is question that with current technology and technology that will be available to us for the foreseeable future that is unanswerable.
        All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Until we can get to the edge of the universe and pass through whatever barrier we'll never know. Getting to the barrier might even be the easy part, getting through it I should imagine would be difficult given the amount of energy it could possibly contain...

Comment

If you leave the universe , what's outside of it? If you pass through a barrier, what's on the other side of the barrier? If space is curved, what's outside of the curve?

If space isn't infinite, it's contained by something - right? But it seems like space is always described as if it's got an "outside," which would automatically place it inside of something else.

Maybe it's impossible to imagine infinity for the same reason that it's impossible to imagine a brand new color - we have no point of reference. There's no way to describe a new color without falling back on the colors that already exist. "It doesn't contain red, yellow, blue, black, or white." What color would that be - there's no way to picture it.
            sigpic

Comment

I don't think destiny was heading for the edge of the universe. My guess is that it was either going to the centre of it (the big bang) or it was taking a path to test a theory of something or other.

I also think it was carrying a payload of some sort behind the eyes at the front of the ship that were clearly closed with retractable shutters. What that payload is I have no idea but its clearly been carrying it for millions of years without using it.

EDIT: Thinking about it, maybe that is what the structure was... the theorised edge of the universe like a shell of some sort. Maybe destiny was carrying some form of laser behind those eyes so that it could break through this barrier and explore beyond it?
              Last edited by Energizer_Vs_ZPM; 24 November 2012, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                I don't think destiny was heading for the edge of the universe. My guess is that it was either going to the centre of it (the big bang) or it was taking a path to test a theory of something or other.
                The big bang didn't happen at the "centre" of the universe, there's almost certainly no such thing, it happened everywhere. The speck that the universe started as was the universe in it's entirety. It's expanding at the same rate everywhere.

Comment

Yet to expand, it has to expand from somewhere which would mean there is a centre.

Think about what you just wrote - you've just contradicted yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                    Yet to expand, it has to expand from somewhere which would mean there is a centre.
                    Wrong. When we talk about space expanding, we are not talking about galaxies moving apart, but rather something completely outside our everyday experience.

In general relativity, the distance between two events or objects can be distorted by, for example, the presence of a massive object. When we talk about the universe expanding, the cause is not that the galaxies are all moving away from a specific point in space, but rather that the nature of distance is being distorted so that two galaxies that are not moving away from one another are still getting farther apart.

One analogy used to explain this is comparing the entire universe - all that we know exists - to the surface of an inflating balloon. If there were two objects glued to that balloon, they would get farther away from one another even though they are not moving across the surface of the balloon. The important thing to remember is that the inside and outside of the balloon are not real, but are rather flaws in the analogy.
                    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Working...
                    X