Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones/ASoIaF Quickfire questions. (spoilers in tags)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
    My point is this: the books are not fan fiction. The show is based (and not all that loosely) on the books. If someone chooses not to read the books and relies completely on the show for the source material, then the answers they seek to these types of questions will never hold any merit to them. Therefore, there is no reason to answer them. If you're asking the question, then you're seeking another's wisdom on the subject. Those of us who have read the books know the answers - or at least generally agree on what the answer should be.
    I actually asked because I have really bad gaydar

Saying the books are not a valid source is like saying that scenes in the bonus material which expand on the back story that were clipped due to time and budgetary constraints are not valid. Also, if a director mentions in the DVD bonus material what his intentions were with a scene or collection if scenes, do you summarily dismiss him because that point didn't get across to you on-screen?
    yes I do disregard both of those things

The show is so close to the actual source material that if a question is asked, the answer given by those of us who have read it should suffice without it turning into a troll-fest. The alternative is that we simply ignore your questions because we assume you'll never accept the answer.
    there similar but not identical

Comment

..."The Dothraki are a bit of a cross between the Mongols and some of the Native American tribes..." - (Special Features) Game of Thrones: Creating the Dothraki Language

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
      "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
      a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

We could tell you from how it was explained in the books, but you'll just shrug it off and say it doesn't count because it's from the books and not the show.
        From what I understand George RR Martin is quite involved in the show. He even did one of the commentaries... and I just looked it up....

George R.R. Martin Co-Executive Producer

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/i...rew/index.html

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
        "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
        a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

He's even writing one of the episodes for the 3rd season, so yes, very involved.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            He's even writing one of the episodes for the 3rd season, so yes, very involved.
            I think he said he wrote the ep he did the commentary for...which is one of the last season one eps...

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaeclipse View Post
              From what I understand George RR Martin is quite involved in the show. He even did one of the commentaries... and I just looked it up....

George R.R. Martin Co-Executive Producer

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/i...rew/index.html
              I know that, and you know that. However slimjim doesn't want info gleaned from any source other than the show. He/she refuses to accept it and said as much on other threads. *shrug*

Comment

I know that, and you know that. However slimjim doesn't want info gleaned from any source other than the show. He/she refuses to accept it and said as much on other threads. *shrug*
                ...but the show was gleaned from the book...

Comment

You know that, I know that...but to mangle Jamie from Mythbusters....I reject your reality and insert my own.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It’s not a bad thing it’s just that there’s something about his appearance and his mannerisms that puts me in mind of films like say..... A Clockwork Orange or Scum

Comment

Well Alfie Allen looks a bit like a young Malcolm McDowell.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                        Well Alfie Allen looks a bit like a young Malcolm McDowell.
                        he smiles in the same way too

Comment

Because focusing on the ones that aren't has the possibility of being a very short book...

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
                            John now is a good fighter
                            Robb Stark is a good fighter
                            Eddard Stark was a good fighter
                            Benjen Stark is a good fighter
                            Robert Baratheon was a good fighter
                            Jaime Lannister is a good fighter
                            Khal Drogo is a good fighter
                            Jorah Mormont is a good fighter
                            Theon Greyjoy is a good fighter (and attractive & powerful enough not to have to pay for it but that's another issue)
                            there are better warriors than those you've mentioned. Theon is a good archer, but that's all and I wouldn't call Robb a good fighter, perhaps a modest one. Don't know if you've read books, but there are really many better warriors. And I'm not so sure about Ned
                            Stolen Kosovo
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                              there are better warriors than those you've mentioned. Theon is a good archer, but that's all and I wouldn't call Robb a good fighter, perhaps a modest one. Don't know if you've read books, but there are really many better warriors. And I'm not so sure about Ned
                              generally in period pieces and fantasy things made these days they have all the high born worriers being crap with the implication being the only gained their position because of family, where as all the low born worriers are good the implication being they gained their position though merit alone. Game of thrones is distinct in that it takes a middle ground of having the high born worriers be good but not brilliant, it’s occurred to me since originally posting this tread that that’s probably pretty realistic.... I mean if I say decided to study martial a few several hours a day I’d probably never be able to best Bruce lee but I’d still end up reasonably skilled with in sevral years

Comment

Jaqen H'ghar is probably the best "warrior". I wouldn't call him a warrior, but he's capable of killing practically every man/woman. And he's not a nobleman.
                                Stolen Kosovo
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X